What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lycoming engine delivery....

WrightsRV7

Well Known Member
Just a heads up for those who may have recently bought a new Lycoming engine through Vans. I am on travel and just found out that UPS delivered my new XIO-540 at the house, at least in theory...:confused: No delivery notification or signature at delivery, wow, never thought Lycoming, Vans, or UPS would do such a thing. Something is very wrong with this process. Just hope it is indeed at my house....:eek:

Happy building & flying, Cheers, Mike

Just a heads up for those who may have recently bought a new Lycoming engine through Vans. I am on travel and just found out that UPS delivered my new XIO-540 at the house, at least in theory...:confused: No delivery notification or signature at delivery, wow, never thought Lycoming, Vans, or UPS would do such a thing. Something is very wrong with this process. Just hope it is indeed at my house....:eek:

UPS, FedEx, and the rest are in the delivery business. Your experience doesn't surprise me.

BTW, I have friends out there. PM me your address and I'll send 'em to check on your engine.

thanks Kyle..

Have friends swinging by after work to check on it....so should know in a bit if it made it to the correct address...then it sits til my return which is tomorrow, thank goodness.
Cheers, Mike

amazing isn't it. I had UPS and aircraft spruce leave 14k worth of avionics on my front porch. no sig needed. thought about taking them inside and calling a day or so later an asking where my avionics were. that would have gotten them going.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

ups HA HA

I have had issue with them for years now it seems without any notification they seem ok with dropping of parcels at the local pac mail or the post office or leave it on the truck. now I control as much as possible in that I have a predetermined address to ship to , usually my customers, that way if it gets lost I wasn't involved as they are quick to point out. ups UNRELIABLE PACKAGE SHIPPING UPS. thumbs down. and sorry to hear of your situation, hope others learn and hope your stuff is there... cheers
billythekid

Create an account

If you create an account at UPS and FedEx, you can opt for email and text notifications for all shipments.

I recently had Canada Post drop $2K worth of avionics on my front step on a rainy day. The part that burned me the most is the driver satisfied the signature requirement that was on the shipment by scribbling his own signature. That earned a formal complaint, the driver got a reprimand and it won't happen again. I've since started getting the instruction "No Safe Drop" added to my large shipments - I guess that's what the industry calls the cowardly drop and run move - safe drop. Safe for who?

Doesn't UPS stand for Use Purolator, Stupid?

I think everyone who has used any of the big three (UPS, FedEx, Purolator) has had times when they think "why the heck would they leave that without a signature?" and other times when they think "I wish that they left it without a signature" so you didn't have to make a trip to the depot.

At least, I know I have. Now I try to have packages intelligently marked (signature required) when I know I don't want it left. Purolator has a program by which you get a card you can leave in your window if you know you have a package coming that you don't mind being left on your doorstep. I don't know if UPS/FedEx have this program or not.

what is your addrress.. I will make sure its SAFE!!! :)

You can't entirely blame UPS/FedEx or USPS...they do exactly what the SHIPPER tells them to do or pays for. We for example now as a policy require a signature for any shipment over $1500 most of the time - that happens automatically because that's the way we have it set up. If the shipper selects "no signature required" or has their insurance setup that way, then that's what you'll get. It's not incumbent on the delivery service to randomly decide whether to require a signature or not (they often don't know the actual value of the package content anyway - only a vague range), it's driven by the shipper.

We had a customer a couple weeks ago send a radio to us USPS that never made it...she had only insured it for $50 and no signature...so nothing anyone could do.

Someone the size of Lyco is likely self insuring so probably not nearly as big of a deal - but still.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

PS - perhaps a moderator could move this over to General Discussion?

Doesn't UPS stand for Use Purolator, Stupid?

I think everyone who has used any of the big three (UPS, FedEx, Purolator) has had times when they think "why the heck would they leave that without a signature?" and other times when they think "I wish that they left it without a signature" so you didn't have to make a trip to the depot.

At least, I know I have. Now I try to have packages intelligently marked (signature required) when I know I don't want it left. Purolator has a program by which you get a card you can leave in your window if you know you have a package coming that you don't mind being left on your doorstep. I don't know if UPS/FedEx have this program or not.

Purolator may be one of the big three in Canada, but not in the US, as least for residential delivery. Down here it's FEDEX, UPS, or the US Post Office.

I just had a prop delivered by UPS and Hartzell had requested a signature--had a missed delivery as a result. I had to take off work early the next day in order to ensure I was there. Just bad luck that my wife was out of town and my go to friends were tied up.

On the other hand....I live in a remote area and it p***es me off when I get a notice of attempted delivery. I want the shippers to leave everything so I don't have to trek to town!

i would absolutely blame them. i had old dominion leave my wing kit for my RV10 sitting in my driveway. they called to let me know they would be coming in 30 minutes about 3 hours after they dropped it off. no signature, no nothing. when i called and complained, the driver claimed that "it looked like a safe neighborhood".

that's when i realized my mistake. i shouldn't have called to bitch - i should have called to tell them that it was missing.

On the other hand....I live in a remote area and it p***es me off when I get a notice of attempted delivery. I want the shippers to leave everything so I don't have to trek to town!

You have to be sure to let us vendors know this. Like Steinair, all of our shipments of actual autopilot components get a required signature. If you don't want a signature, that's fine. But you get to sign a form waiving your right to insurance claims if it is shown as delivered by the courier but you can't find it.

Who is going to steal a 420 pound engine..?

Funny you mention weight, when my fuse kit was delivered, I had the longerons delivered also, (QB wings) they damaged them, they have a formula for paying for damage by weight, um....aluminum is light, and expensive. Fought with them but Vans made good on the damage and sent new ones. shipping those long pieces are expensive!

Back