What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

376 HP ACE IO-568

Bluelabel

Well Known Member
Check this out on EFII's home page.

http://www.flyefii.com/

This in addition to a recent dyno at Sky Dynamics on Tye's IO-540 @313hp on EFII. that's corrected data.

Direct any specific questions to Robert @ EFII. I'll answer what I can.

At 2867 RPM..........

Wonder if they used a test club, or a water brake??

The RPM is kinda out of the "real world" arena most of will ever see, makes me think they could not load the engine enough at max power to keep it to 2700??

dyno

That was on their water brake dyno.
They just ran it up to see what it would do.
It made 360hp at 2709rpm.

Robert

Can't wait to hear some notes and figures from one of these flying. Also, pictures on a 10!

Like a big belt buckle

Given that an aerodynamically clean RV-10 can fly within 10 kts of VNE in level flight with just a plain old boring Lycoming, and that climb performance is in many cases limited by cooling, I have a hard time seeing how this particular airframe benefits from more power. But I do see how talking about it would impress the old guys at the airport. :)

Well maybe pull it back and burn a little less. And who doesn't want a shorter climb to altitude. When I someday build, unless more comes along this is an engine i've looked into...very nice!

Given that an aerodynamically clean RV-10 can fly within 10 kts of VNE in level flight with just a plain old boring Lycoming, and that climb performance is in many cases limited by cooling, I have a hard time seeing how this particular airframe benefits from more power. But I do see how talking about it would impress the old guys at the airport. :)

Extra power sure is nice when fully loaded and taking off at 9000' density altitude (home airport in summer), or leaving Telluride at 13k density altitude in the summer, which is also fairly common for me.

Extra power sure is nice when fully loaded and taking off at 9000' density altitude (home airport in summer), or leaving Telluride at 13k density altitude in the summer, which is also fairly common for me.
Given that many certified aircraft in the same weight class only have 200 hp at sea level and safely operate out of the same airports at same DA's, and the stock engine provides 200 hp at 9000 DA, how much extra do you really need?
You could stick a turbo prop on the front...oh wait, someone already did that.
You could put a turbo-charger on it.........but Van's actively discourages that.
Even my 200 hp Mooney can pretty much climb straight up I-40 to the east out of ABQ at gross wt, don't really see the need for the -10 to have more than stock 260. Have you flown in a -10 at a max climb rate?

Hmmmm interesting dyno data. All those ponies, at around 26 GPH. I wonder what the ICP's were like :eek:

Back