What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin VIRB and G3X touch

jthocker

Well Known Member
Posting here so others might benefit.

Have the latest Touch software on both Touch and VIRB.

Can get video into the touch via cable but no control over camera. Can stretch to fit, but no capture or record buttons.

Without cable,
G3X searches for VIRB but never finds it even though WIFI is ON at the VIRB.

Don't recall seeing any settings in CONFIG mode but maybe I missed something.

Also, maybe there's something in the manual now.

VIRB works quite well with my IPAD and Garmin Pilot.

Was hoping the VIRBs and the Touch would allow better video's!

Dang, I was hoping you'd have the answer on this already Jon! I was going to go out and see if the VIRB will talk to the new Touch panel in Mikey - now I'll have to see if I can figure it out, instead of just cheating on your success....

me too

Jon,

I also just got a VIRB Elite and cannot get the G3X Touch to find it. I have not yet installed the latest update on the Touch, but have on the camera. Cables on order.

Hopefully Team X or others can get us going.

From the brochure....

Quote from Touch Brochure

"Built-in Connext-enabling hardware, such as ANT+™ and Bluetooth®, provide wireless integration with your iPad® or other compatible tablet device running Garmin Pilot™, flight plan transfer capability and remote control of accessories like the VIRB™ action camera right from the display."

Quote from VIRB Elite Brochure (specs)

Connectivity
•Bluetooth®: No
•ANT+™ compatible: Yes (remote & sensors)
•Interface: USB 2.0
•HDMI output: micro HDMI
•Wi-Fi: 802.11 bgn

Last edited:
Update

I have subsequently checked the latest pilots guide and see that there is more to connecting than just turning on the wifi. It appears I need to pair them like bluetooth.

I will report back tomorrow!

There are two parts to the integration of the F3X Touch and Virb Elite.

1a) "control" - on the Virb, go to "settings" and then "remote" to turn it on. On the G3X Touch, go to "tool" and "Virb" and "connect" to run it on and pair it with the Virb. Once connected, you can trigger a picture or trigger video recording start/stop. Yo do not see what the camera "sees".

2a) "viewing" - with the audio/video cable connected to the Virb, use an RCA to BNC patch cable to connect the Virb vudeo out to the G3X Touch video in.

1b & 2b) mobile "control" and "viewing" - with wifi enabled on the Virb you can connect "Virb mobile app" from iOS or Android device to both view and control the camera.

Refer to the "G3X Touch Pilot's Guide" Rev C pages 216-218

Last edited:
I have subsequently checked the latest pilots guide and see that there is more to connecting than just turning on the wifi. It appears I need to pair them like bluetooth.

I will report back tomorrow!

Hello Jon,

Leave the GDU 460 WiFi alone. :) You will not be using WiFi to connect to the Virb.

As mentioned in this posting, the GDU 460 uses its ANT wireless interface to control the VIRB, so using the VIRB doesn't even tie up one of your available Bluetooth connections.

As Glen mentions, the procedure starting on page 216 of the Rev. C Pilot Guide explains the one time "pairing process" which will enable the controls on the GDU 460 video page. Don't forget to use the VIRB and go to MODE, Setup, Remote before starting the pairing process on the G3X Touch VIRB connect page.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve I got mine to par but zero luck getting it to show the video output on the g3x screen

I can start and stop recording and that works but no video shown on g3x (yes I enabled the pages)

Brian,

To display video on the GDU, you will need to use the VIRB cable to get composite video out and an adapter to connect to the back of the GDU.

I'm figuring that out by all the reading however the pilot manual makes it look like no cabling is required

How are people running that bulky cable overboard? I was planning on mounting my virb in my rear tie down hole but I don't have room to move the cable inside

Anyone figure this out? Wasted my day trying to pair a virb to the g3x touch. Manual says to hit mode-setup-remote. then you have the g3x search for the virb which is tools-verb. then the G3x says searching. It never finds the camera.

The manual is really lacking.... if you follow the manual, the virb screen just says remote highlighted. Are we supposed to hit enter now? and if you do it asks if this is the only virb.

Thanks,

Jason

rv-6
Rans S-7

https://vimeo.com/137701497

Connecting a New Virb Camera

Anyone figure this out? Wasted my day trying to pair a virb to the g3x touch. Manual says to hit mode-setup-remote. then you have the g3x search for the virb which is tools-verb. then the G3x says searching. It never finds the camera.

The manual is really lacking.... if you follow the manual, the virb screen just says remote highlighted. Are we supposed to hit enter now? and if you do it asks if this is the only virb.

Thanks,
Jason
rv-6
Rans S-7

Hello Jason,

First, it would be good to verify that your camera and G3X Touch software is up to date.

On the Virb/Virb Elite camera:
1. Press the Mode button and select Setup
2. Use arrows keys to highlight REMOTE, then press OK
3. Use arrow keys to highlight Remote On/Off field and turn On
4. Use arrow keys to highlight VIRB TYPE and select Main Virb

On the Virb X/XE camera:
Same as original Virb, but use Menu button to access setup.

On the GDU 4XX display for any Virb model:
1. Select Menu, Menu, Tools, Virb
2. The first time you use a new camera, select Menu, Search for New VIRB from this page on the GDU.

The GDU should find the new VIRB, add it to its pairing list, and quickly show it as connected and provide on screen camera controls.

Thanks,
Steve

Another YMMV comment but here goes:

I tried mounting the VIRB to the underside of my wingtip using one of the wingtip attachment screws. (I didn't want it on top after testing how it affected my V-speeds)

In my hangar, I went through the pairing process and verified communication and function. I pushed the plane out onto the ramp.

As soon as I start my engine, I can no longer control the VIRB. The G3X Touch just keeps searching.

My problem is not unique to the VIRB. I have the same issue with the DRIFT camera and its remote. I believe both solutions are in the 2.4Ghz range. I'm not sure what in my engine is generating interference but it's more than enough to disable communications.

For this reason, I rarely if ever use any of my action cameras.

Connection drops....

I realize this is an old thread, but I am helping a neighbor connect a Virb XE to his G3X Touch. 2 issues:

1) the Virb camera gets really warm in use and seems to drain the battery really fast - less than an hour....

2) We have the video working on the screen, but the Ant+ connection is pretty spotty - it will connect, but it then drops and reconnects, seemingly randomly. We get the connected message with video controls, then a disconnected message and loss of controls.

I am hoping I am missing something easy and stupid. Thanks for any thoughts.

What cable is needed to connect the VIRB (latest model, Nov 2019) to the G3X?
The VIRB has a Mini DisplayPort connector for video out.
I have not been able to find an adapter from mini DisplayPort to RCA.

I ordered the Garmin recommended cable, but it has a mini USB (old style) and an RCA, so no joy.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hello Jon,

Leave the GDU 460 WiFi alone. :) You will not be using WiFi to connect to the Virb.

As mentioned in this posting, the GDU 460 uses its ANT wireless interface to control the VIRB, so using the VIRB doesn't even tie up one of your available Bluetooth connections.

As Glen mentions, the procedure starting on page 216 of the Rev. C Pilot Guide explains the one time "pairing process" which will enable the controls on the GDU 460 video page. Don't forget to use the VIRB and go to MODE, Setup, Remote before starting the pairing process on the G3X Touch VIRB connect page.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
I can connect the VIRB to my G3X touch ok, BUT, if camera is mounted outside the cockpit, the remote functions don't work. As soon as I bring camera into cockpit (within 2 feet), works fine. I've tried it mounted on tail, under the wing, and on top of wing. Any suggestions as to why remote does not seem to have any range to it's reach?

Back