What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540

colestopp

We are some way from installing the engine, but can anyone advise on this dilemma? We are told that the best thing with a new engine is to run it at full power for several hours and if you do not, you risk 'glazed' bores.
Problem is, when you have just built the plane, you are likely to be doing the exact opposite! Starting/stopping/ adjusting/taxiing. Is this an issue or not? Am I concerned unnecessarily?

We are some way from installing the engine, but can anyone advise on this dilemma? We are told that the best thing with a new engine is to run it at full power for several hours and if you do not, you risk 'glazed' bores.
Problem is, when you have just built the plane, you are likely to be doing the exact opposite! Starting/stopping/ adjusting/taxiing. Is this an issue or not? Am I concerned unnecessarily?

Well, you can buy a used engine that is already broken in and well on its way towards TBO, or you can buy an overhauled engine from some f the VAF sponsors and have them put an extra couple hours on the test cell run.
You are correct that it is more desirable to be only testing the airframe, not both engine and airframe at the same time. If you go with a new engine, the key is to keep any engine runs before first flight as short as possible, allow full cooling between runs, and don't let CHT to get up much over 300, until you actually make that first flight.

Concerned unnecessarily, no, but not something to lose sleep over. You just need to minimize the engine runs prior to flight to only those that are necessary and keep a very close eye on temps. This translates into very short ground running sessions to test idle, mixture, prop, brakes, etc.

Back