What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance

JeremyL

Well Known Member
What are you guys getting for insurance rates/quotes as of this fall? I contacted avemco and they quoted about $4,000 for a 7. They didn't asked for my hours or endorsements, so I'm assuming it`s universally the same. Gallagher would not answer their phone or return my call, so not sure I would want to deal with them anyway. Oh, something I didn't know, maybe I am a dummy but the first 10 hours of flight time is not covered on insurance.

Gallagher is usually really responsive, and their folks are often on the forum. I would try them again.

I'm $2600 for 200K hull and 100K per passenger, 1 million each occurrence

RV-10, 160 hours in type, IFR

Phil
RV-10 Bountiful, UT

This past fall, I was quoted about $1500 for the RV-9A that I had bought. They wanted 2 hours of dual before I could fly solo, then 1 hour of solo before I could take passengers. It included an open pilot warranty with waiver of subrogation, and insuring my buddy/CFI/transition instructor on the policy. That premium was from AIG and was pretty much the same through both Gallagher and BWI. I didn't have trouble at any point getting in touch with the agent at either company, email or phone. I went with Gallagher because their quote included the OPW.

I had sent out several internet "requests for quote", including to Avemco. They did eventually respond, but their quote was more than double the ones I got from Gallagher or BWI

What are you guys getting for insurance rates/quotes as of this fall? I contacted avemco and they quoted about $4,000 for a 7. They didn't asked for my hours or endorsements, so I'm assuming it`s universally the same. Gallagher would not answer their phone or return my call, so not sure I would want to deal with them anyway. Oh, something I didn't know, maybe I am a dummy but the first 10 hours of flight time is not covered on insurance.

Some of the many recent threads about insurance:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=189255

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=188412

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=186651

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=181369&page=3

Interesting, Andrew, it was with a 100k hull.
I know there are a ton of insurance posts. But I was curious as to what a newb would be quoted. i.e. less than 250 hrs total/none in type/ no ifr.

Thanks guys for responding. Also I understand Gallagher is amazing and will surely try them again in the near future. Completely possible I caught them on an off day or there was some sort of technical issue.

Last edited:

A few thoughts.....

Providing a quote without having any info about the pilots ratings, total time, time in type, etc., is very unusual.

In my past experience with insuring RV's, Avemco has always been about the most expensive (perhaps the reason they aren't concerned about pilot details and their quote is super high).

There is no universal standard for a policy. One will require 10 hrs (once again might be related to them not even asking if you have any time in type... they wont be covering you while you are building some time), and others will cover you in the first minute if you meet their experience requirements.

I have had very good experiences doing business with Gallager and I know some of the people there. They are usually very responsive. I imagine there is an explanation. My recommendation would be that you try again.

RVbuilder, thank you for your response. It definitely sounds like I will be staying away from AVEMCO. I will definitely be reaching out to Gallagher again since I am repeatedly hearing people love them.

love them ;)

And they sponsor the RV Social. I suspect there will be one in 2011!

Attachments

• Pilots Drinking.jpg
    Pilots Drinking.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 178

Its Jenny from Gallagher you can call my direct line 636-449-2813 or my cell 636-357-7232 and we will help you out. We are working from home due to Covid but we do have our calls forwarded to our cells. We were recently closed for Thanksgiving, Wed 12/25-12/27. Please give me a call when you can.

Try Martha Christian, she's the best!

Martha Christian
Falcon Insurance Agency of Houston, Inc.
19747 Hwy 59 N., Ste 314, Humble, TX 77338
281-540-8822 Office | 281-540-8222 Fax
www.falconinsurance.com

-Marc

Its Jenny from Gallagher you can call my direct line 636-449-2813 or my cell 636-357-7232 and we will help you out. We are working from home due to Covid but we do have our calls forwarded to our cells. We were recently closed for Thanksgiving, Wed 12/25-12/27. Please give me a call when you can.

Thank you so much. I will be in touch.

Gallagher seems to promote themselves quite heavily on this forum but they are not the only show in town. More often than not I have found myself having to chase them for various items. It seems to have gotten slightly better but I don’t really feel the love.

I got about six different quotes from SkySmith out of IA.

Scott's a pretty nice guy, knows the airplanes pretty well, and can walk you through everything. He was really patient with me as I educated myself and that level of patience/education/service goes a long way to earn my business.

(Felt that same love from Aerotronics, by the way.)

I'm paying about $1250 a year for my RV6A, with $65K in hull coverage.

I'm 46, 1000TT, CSEL/CSES/CMEL, CFI.

They did require 1 hour insurance checkout with appropriate CFI. That was it.

I shopped insurance this fall. I've used Falcon, but I've not been really happy with their responsiveness. RV-6 $90K hull, experienced TW pilot. I quoted BWI, Falcon, Avemco, and a couple of others. BWI beat Falcon by $100 (Old Republic), plus they gave me a free AOPA membership. $1100 for the year. Avemco was absurd at nearly $4000. It used to be that shopping around gave you the same quote once the orginal was made. Not anymore. Good luck!

This is all very interesting information. I intend to call Gallagher and BWI on Monday and get quotes. I will post the information I get here. So far AVEMCO was at 4000 a year.

If you use a broker such as SkySmith, and that broker is your agent of record, you are probably wasting your time shopping elsewhere. As I understand it, each quote needs to be reviewed by a human underwriter and that's why you need to have a broker or dedicated agent submit for the quote. The insurance industry doesn't want to shoulder the labor cost for all of us shopping on our own. You can change agents or brokers, but he or she will have to become your agent of record to get you good quotes.

I remember reading an article about this a long time ago and things may have changed since then. This may be why all who have gotten quotes from Avemco seem to all be $4000 or so.

Mike, AVEMCO is the sole exception to the rule. They direct quote, no brokers. Why they are so expensive, with poor coverage to boot, is anyone’s guess.

As promised I have a quote using Gallagher, sorry for the late reply. Gallagher was fantastic and I will definitely be using them when time comes to bind. So here is what I got..........

$100,000 hull ground & flight
150 hr TT private pilot with no time in type or IFR rating
33 Y/O

RV7-A annual premium... $2,076

AVEMCO quoted me $4,000+, they must be crazy. Hope this helps someone with number crunching. If you have any questions, message me, ill be happy to answer what I can.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays.

Insurance quote

Just received my 2021 annual renewal quote. (Gallagher)
Liability $155 ($1,000,000/100,000)
Hull $1237 (RV8, $100,000 hull)
Total $1392 (Up from $1250 in 2020, $1050 in 2019)

Pilot: 10,000 hours, ATP, 570 hours in RV8, 800 hours tail wheel)

BUT, I'm 74 years old and I'm sure that affects the quote.

Data point.

Gallagher customer for ever... RV-10 160k hull /full coverage. Required 2 hours in type before binding for first flight. I'm 1300TT VFR pilot, 960 in RV-6A, age 64. I'm paying 2600 this year if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Just got my renewal from Falcon, last year was first with with them and first flight for my -14. Rate went down 10%, then I noticed they rubber stamped my hours from last year so I corrected those and rate went down another 5%.

Be sure all of your information is update and correct, could save you a few bucks.

Back