What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recessed instrument Panel

JohnD.TF4

Greetings all!

I had an idea for a recessed or ?tiered? instrument panel if you will for an RV-8. The idea came from military jets which have their PFD information (usually in the form of a HUD) and a primary FMS (knob, button, switch) panel spaced off of the main panel closer to the pilot?s reach and in the center of your field of view.

I am also considering a recess or cutout for my knees. While it?s not a huge inconvenience, my long legs do get caught up on the panel getting in and out.

Does anyone know of any RVs out there with modified instrument panels with extra cutouts, angles, tiers, etc.? I?d be interested in this kind of mod done to any model RV. Pics would be great.

P.S I didn?t know what thread to put this under, but it seems like all of the panel nuts like to congregate here so here goes. ;)

Thanks and happy flying!

Save our knees!

PM me for pix of my -8 panel mods.
I'm 6'-5"...cut the few inches bottom off..
Sorry, posting pix on this site is laborious:mad:

I have a “wedge” in the center of my RV-8 panel that steps my EFIS screens out about 3/4” at the top, and about 2” at the bottom. I did it mainly to tilt them so I had better clearance behind, but it does make the panel look more interesting. Very simple - essentially just two triangle-shaped ribs with nutplates and holes to pick up nutplates on the panel.

I posted about them a good ten or twelve years about them - not sure if the pics are still there, or if you can find the thread....

Paul

dual G3X tilted panel

Here are a couple pics of a panel I'm going to have made that will inset and tilt the G3X's upward and inward. If there are a couple people interested in getting one made let me know.

Back