What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IBBS Battery mounting location

Foghorn

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted their IBBS in this location? There is room below the floor to use rivnuts. The wiring can be moved left, right or above the battery. Trying to avoid mounting on the lower baggage wall under the panel.

Thanks

Couple of things I would consider - rivnuts are known for coming loose. I used some in various places and wish I had not.

You probably want to keep the wiring runs as short as possible, to avoid having to put a fuse in there.

I mounted my IBBS on the rear bulkhead of the front baggage area, and it's very close to the things I plug into it - my GRT EFIS, GRT EIS 4000, and my GRT Safefly 2020 GPS.

If you want to mount it there, I'd mount it on the under side of the plate that will cover that area, with a service loop to make easy to remove, avoiding the rivnuts.

I decided to mount it to the lower aft baggage wall. I’ll have to secure the brake line to prevent rubbing. Thanks for the info again Mickey.

capture

I decided to mount it to the lower aft baggage wall. I’ll have to secure the brake line to prevent rubbing. Thanks for the info again Mickey. ...
No problem. One thing to think about that I overlooked and need to correct is to try to have the bolt heads and screw heads on the baggage side if you can. This avoids having the "scratchy" bolt threads rubbing against things in the baggage area. Or, you can cover the threads with something like an acorn nut.

backup battery

I installed my ElectroAir ignition backup battery in that location. I mounted it on the inside wall of the "box" so that I could remove the cover to maintain the battery, and to keep it off the floor. 10 years in the aircraft, and no problems.

I installed my ElectroAir ignition backup battery in that location. I mounted it on the inside wall of the "box" so that I could remove the cover to maintain the battery, and to keep it off the floor. 10 years in the aircraft, and no problems.

You have the same ignition backup battery for 10 years? Or you have placed the ignition back battery (and its replacements) in the same place for 10 years?

I know of one RV-8 that had a very dead (as in failed) ignition backup battery - not replaced for many years. The owner was unaware that he was flying with no backup (both ignitions were dependent on ship power). That battery in now replaced every other year - cost is ~$30 or so. Cheap insurance.

Carl

Backuup Battery replacement

Good call, Carl,

I have replaced the 1.2 AH battery twice in the 10 years. The backup battery is charged through a Schottky Diode. An ignition power switch powers the diode, facilitating checking the backup battery. After each landing I check both ignitions (P-mag and ElectroAir) backup power by turning off the ships power to each ignition in turn to be sure that they still work. I never had a failure of backup power from the ElectoAir battery, but replaced it because it was simply old....

Of course, the P-mag backup power is from Ship's Power.

Thanks for questioning, Carl!:D

Back