What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 port AOA

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
The plane I bought a couple yrs ago is a week or so from completion. It came with an AFS AOA that has the ports on the upper and lower side of the wing. I know when it rains you have to drain the sump attached to the port where the AOA incorporated in the pitot you don't have to do.

Are there any other cons to having the 2 port AOA?

I actually would like to use the FlyOnSpeed AOA system and was wanting to know who out there has built one and is using it.

Thanks,
Daren

Ive been flying my AFS AOA pro for 12 years and have NEVER had any water drain. Even after Sloshkosh. Water just doesn't get in there.

Has anyone built the FlyOnSpeed system?

I built an On Speed and installed it during my last condition inspection, spent 2 evenings building up the board and several hours installing the box in the plane. I am by no means an expert on the device but have been flying different lower speed flight configurations and becoming familiar with the aural tones and how they relate to the flight conditions.

I replaced the conventional heated pitot with a Dynon heated AOA pitot but I understand On Speed may look into testing the unit with the 2 wing port sensor.
My aircraft also has the Advanced Flight 2 wing port AOA built in the EFIS which provides a visual display.

Has anyone built the FlyOnSpeed system?

I have built two. One was for another RV owner and the 2nd was just to help write the building instructions. IF you want the 2nd one I built, it could be yours for the price of the parts. I also built a test box that can test the unit on the bench.

Ive been flying my AFS AOA pro for 12 years and have NEVER had any water drain. Even after Sloshkosh. Water just doesn't get in there.

I had water in mine after one of years at OSH where we had a couple days of really bad storms.

Since then, when parking outside for extended times, I just put a piece of tape over the hole.

I also have the Dynon heated pitot that was installed after my Gretz pitot melted. But I left the AOA ports that I used on the wing.

Back