What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm Doomed

I just ordered the empennage kit. It's an RV-14A. Go ahead and mock me. Tail draggers are infinitely cooler. I'm not cool.

Spending so much time at home means I'm spending way too much time thinking about building an airplane. I also realized that Van's is going to start charging sales tax on shipments to NC starting in May. I needed to get the order in to save some money and give me something to do at home other than argue with the family. ;-)

Wish me luck.

Matt

Welcome to the madness. A word of advice wrt sales tax. Just because Vans doesn't collect it doesn?t mean you don?t have to pay it. More and more states are getting very aggressive about collecting ?use tax? (collecting sales tax on out of state purchases is unconstitutional, so most states now call it a ?sales and use? tax, an end run around the constitution.) Here in CA they regularly scan the FAA registry, and when new planes appear in CA they send you a letter demanding proof that you paid the tax. If you didn?t, they will assess interest and penalties. You need to check out NC law.

I have a bazillion tail dragger hours in other airplanes, and I'm flying an RV-14A. I'm happy with it. You have nothing to prove, and no need to second guess your choice of landing gear. It's your airplane, so be happy with your landing gear, panel, paint job, battery location, and how much primer you apply. :)

Welcome to the madness. A word of advice wrt sales tax. Just because Vans doesn't collect it doesn?t mean you don?t have to pay it. More and more states are getting very aggressive about collecting ?use tax? (collecting sales tax on out of state purchases is unconstitutional, so most states now call it a ?sales and use? tax, an end run around the constitution.) Here in CA they regularly scan the FAA registry, and when new planes appear in CA they send you a letter demanding proof that you paid the tax. If you didn?t, they will assess interest and penalties. You need to check out NC law.

Derrr.....I mean that I'm excited to avoid paying my NC sales and use tax early since it isn't due until April 15th 2021.

Van's will be collecting sales tax when I order the other kits so I can avoid this headache in the future. Thank you State of NC for making sure that this tax collection is as streamlined as possible!

...how much primer you apply. :)

I opened a can of AKZO for the first time yesterday and I'm still high. I'll be applying lots of primer liberally to every surface I can find.

[I hope it's obvious that I'm kidding. Only hethens prime the outside of their skins during build.]

Matt

Congratulations on beginning your 14A. I?m building one also, and you are going to love the kit. Hope you enjoy building it as much as I am enjoying my build.

Dan

You can put the little wheel in the back. Come on, you know you want to!

Besides, if I can do it, anyone can!

Congrats on your kit!

If you are starting with the tailcone kit, you could build the tail stinger structure in there even if you are planning for a nose wheel. Just in case you (or some future owner) comes to their senses and decides they want a taildragger..... flexibility at this point isn?t expensive or difficult.

Matt, you'll have a blast! It's amazingly gratifying to see this machine come together and to realize that you are a member of a select group. I'm almost regretting the day the build is over, but looking forward to the adventures ahead. The RV-14A is beautifully engineered and well documented, you'll be happy you chose it. All the best. Marty

...Here in CA they regularly scan the FAA registry, and when new planes appear in CA they send you a letter demanding proof that you paid the tax. If you didn?t, they will assess interest and penalties. You need to check out NC law.

Same in Texas. Better to check if you have to pay now (sometimes you don't) than to definitely have to pay later with penalties and interests.

Just a heads up there also is an RV 14 Facebook page that is a nice compliment to this site. If you would like access for the plans that have the annotated VAF threads discussing RV14 issues send me a PM. The link to the plans is in my signature.

Derrr.....I mean that I'm excited to avoid paying my NC sales and use tax early since it isn't due until April 15th 2021.

Van's will be collecting sales tax when I order the other kits so I can avoid this headache in the future. Thank you State of NC for making sure that this tax collection is as streamlined as possible!

Keep good records so when the tax man does come calling you can document that you have already paid it.

Congrats on starting the build.

Enjoy it, take your time, ask questions when you aren't certain.

And don't buy crappy drill bits or taps!

And tail vs tri: I'm doing an A myself. Not that draggers aren't cool but I don't trust myself with years of work and the money involved.

Last edited:
The only thing better than building is flying. You are starting on a wonderful journey. Enjoy it!

Last edited:
I just ordered the empennage kit. It's an RV-14A. Go ahead and mock me. Tail draggers are infinitely cooler. I'm not cool.

Spending so much time at home means I'm spending way too much time thinking about building an airplane. I also realized that Van's is going to start charging sales tax on shipments to NC starting in May. I needed to get the order in to save some money and give me something to do at home other than argue with the family. ;-)

Wish me luck.

Matt

If you ever need any help our support I'm right down the road in Colfax near KGSO. EP complete working on the wings. I'm on the 20 year plan:(

Back