What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell to Whirlwind conversion

SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
My RV8, Lycoming O-360 A1A has a Hartzell constant speed prop (pre blended airfoil) and the stock Van's cowl. I'm interested in converting it to a Whirlwind.

I'm trying to determine if the Whirlwind RV200 is a direct bolt-on replacement for the Hartzell. Including the spinner to cowling positioning. The new 330 series look like a direct replacement, but I can't write that check.

Anyone done this or have comment?

Done it twice. It'll bolt right up.

The only issue you may have is spinner BULKHEAD to cowl clearance. Because of the different bulkhead shape the #10 screws on the back side sometimes touch. All you have to do is trim the inner ring (45° angled aft) on the cowl for clearance.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
WW Props

You stated the 330 prop is the replacement, but I believe that is the 300 series. It's designed for engines that aren't hopped up with high compression, stroker cranks, etc. From what I understand a stock O-360 is a good match for the 300 series. Best to confirm with Whirlwind, but I don't think you need to spend the cash for the 330 series.

Their website is a bit of a mess due to changing the product lines over, so contact them directly. They've been quite helpful to me.

Whirlwind correspondence

I don't know any more than what Whirlwind has told me. Their web site is not very helpful. Apparently the 200RV and HRT series are now legacy. (Out of production, but still supported) This is what I received from the company.
Added edit: As the #5 post below in this thread from Frogman states, the 300 series is 3 blade, and I'm looking for a 2 blade.

The 330-2B/72H-72 propeller is the same blade style and performance as the 2blade HRT, but the hub has been redesigned and it is a direct bolt-on replacement with a standard Van’s cowling.

The 330 series propeller platform is built to withstand more aggressive engines with high compression ratios. This 72” diameter, 2-bladed propeller weighs 40 lb (including spinner and hardware) and is suited for 180 to 220 horsepower engines.
This propeller features a “scimitar” style swept tip, Carbon Fiber composite blades, electro-formed nickel leading edge shields, and an aluminum hub. Each propeller comes with a composite spinner that is ready to fly, easy to install, and finished with a white primer ready for paint.

The 330 Series is available in a standard or counterweighted configurations. Counterweighted configurations are for inverted flight (0 G or negative G aerobatics).
This propeller uses engine oil and a governor to hydraulically control pitch. Standard configurations are compatible with a standard “pressure to increase pitch” governor with a max relief pressure of 330 psi (we sell the Jihostroj P-920 for $1,450) while counter-weighted configurations are compatible with “pressure to decrease pitch” governor with a max relief pressure of 330 psi (we sell the Jihostroj P-940 for $1,450).

Propeller-330-2B/72H-72

Example Aircraft RV-4, -6, -7, -8, -9, -14

Engine [Max Compression]

Lycoming (I)O-320 [10:1]
Lycoming (I)O-340 [9.6:1]
Lycoming (I)O-360 Parallel Valve [9.6:1]
Lycoming (I)O-360 Angle Valve with CW Crank [9.6:1]
Lycoming (I)O-370/375 Counter Weighted Crank [9.6:1]
Lycoming (I)O-390 [9.6:1]

HP 180-220

Blades 2

Diameter 72”

Weight (with spinner) 40 lb

Price (with spinner) $12,400

For counter-weighted propellers, add 2.2 lb per blade and add $300 per blade.

Hunter Hollingshead
Whirl Wind Propellers Corp.
Structural Composite Engineer

1800 Joe Crosson Dr, El Cajon, CA 92020
https://whirlwindpropellers.com/
email: [email protected]
Telephone: (619) 562 – 3725

Last edited:
Jim,

What Dave said is accurate. The 300-3B/A-72 series propeller will work for your O-360 A1A (180 hp) with 8.5 compressions. Below is the engines it fits on. However, this is a 3-blade so not sure if your looking for 2 or 3 blade.

I)O-320 [9.6:1]
(I)O-340 [9.6:1]
(I)O-360 Parallel
Valve [8.5:1]
(I)O-360 Angle Valve
with CW Crank [8.7:1]
(I)O-370/375 with CW Crank [9.6:1]
(I)O-390 [9.6:1]

My review of the new 330 was based on IO-360 A1A, which is Non-CW with 8.7 compressions. As you can see above, it doesnt work for me but absolutely would work for you. My angle valve needed a CW crank to conform to 300 series requirements.

Last edited:
My RV8, Lycoming O-360 A1A has a Hartzell constant speed prop (pre blended airfoil) and the stock Van's cowl. I'm interested in converting it to a Whirlwind.

I'm trying to determine if the Whirlwind RV200 is a direct bolt-on replacement for the Hartzell. Including the spinner to cowling positioning. The new 330 series look like a direct replacement, but I can't write that check.

Anyone done this or have comment?

Why are you changing? Other than the weight, the Hartzell BA series are really good propellers!

Skylor

Why are you changing? Other than the weight, the Hartzell BA series are really good propellers!

Skylor

My Hartzell is 20 years old and a pre blended airfoil design. Plus my RV8 is starting to get a little heavy with the addition of a smoke system and inverted oil. So it seems like I can lose some empty weight and gain some prop performance.
Win-win. (Although admitting a substantial loss to my wallet.)

My Hartzell is 20 years old and a pre blended airfoil design. Plus my RV8 is starting to get a little heavy with the addition of a smoke system and inverted oil. So it seems like I can lose some empty weight and gain some prop performance.
Win-win. (Although admitting a substantial loss to my wallet.)

Oops, I mis-read your original post...

Back