What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Denatured Alcohol to plexiglass

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
While building my RV-12 windshield faring, I have used denatured alcohol on a clean rag to remove uncured epoxy and to clean the residue left from painter's tape from the plexiglass.. Works great as described here with no 'ill effects' to the plexiglass.

This was from a one gallon can of denatured alcohol that I bought from Home Depot many years ago. So, I'm almost out of denatured alcohol and have discovered that the 'regulators' here in Taxyafornia decided that I can't purchase denatured alcohol in this state any more. I could drive to an other state and get it though. Maybe internet.

So, my question is is there a suitable substitute that will clean and not glaze the the plexiglass windshield? Thanks for answering.

While building my RV-12 windshield faring, I have used denatured alcohol on a clean rag to remove uncured epoxy and to clean the residue left from painter's tape from the plexiglass.. Works great as described here with no 'ill effects' to the plexiglass.

Denatured alcohol (otherwise commonly known as methylated spirits) is extreme dangerous to use on acrylic. if you've used it on your canopy plexiglass then you have probably already done damage at the microscopic level. Down the track those microscopic cracks can enlarge by work of fracture.

Consider trying PPG DT870 Urethane Reducer.

I saw a tip a while back about using it for cleanup of Lord Adhesive when bonding the windows on the RV-10. I have used it for that as well as removing tape residue and some Jetflex WR that got on the window. I have not noticed any ill effects from it.

Consider trying PPG DT870 Urethane Reducer.

I saw a tip a while back about using it for cleanup of Lord Adhesive when bonding the windows on the RV-10. I have used it for that as well as removing tape residue and some Jetflex WR that got on the window. I have not noticed any ill effects from it.

I still don't think I would be taking any chances with that. There is more than one ingredient to that reducer that Van's says is a no no.

Here is the msds

I'm almost out of denatured alcohol and have discovered that the 'regulators' here in Taxyafornia decided that I can't purchase denatured alcohol in this state any more. I could drive to an other state and get it though. Maybe internet.

Your local liquor store probably sells Everclear, which is 75% ethanol 25% water with edible impurities, extracted from fermented grains. Totally worth the liquor tax for use as cleaner. Much healthier fumes than "denatured" (e.g. ruined with methanol) alcohol or "rubbing" isopropanol (do not rub children with it please), which are far more toxic and get rapidly absorbed through skin and lungs like all VOCs.

Plane Plastics, the company that makes canopies for Vans Aircraft uses isopropyl alcohol on their (our) plexiglass. They buy it by the case. I had to drive up to Troy when my canopy cracked on my latest RV. That?s what they used on mine. I get it at Walgreens (90%).

in the Van’s RV-14 canopy fairing videos, they use denatured alcohol to clean the surface prior to layup.

The Everclear comment reminded me that one tenant left a bottle of vodka behind when he moved out. I needed to clean a few things and that worked great. 60% alcohol and 40% water.

Didn't use it on any acrylic, though....

Dave

in the Van?s RV-14 canopy fairing videos, they use denatured alcohol to clean the surface prior to layup.

Dave, we?re talking here about the use of solvents specifically on acrylic canopies. And the only alcohol that is safe to use on acrylic is isopropyl alcohol. I don?t know what Vans has on their website but if they are saying that denatured alcohol/methylated spirits is safe to use on acrylic canopies then they are totally misinformed. The use of inappropriate chemicals/solvents has probably caused more cracks in Vans canopies than any other reason. Even builders using Sikaflex and drilling no holes are getting cracks in their canopies.
Believe me when I say that methylated spirits will cause cracking of acrylic. Is denatured alcohol the same as methylated spirits....I say yes but therein lies the problem....builders cannot always be sure of exactly what they are buying when they go to their local hardware store. There?s a LOT of different alcohols and shandy blends out there.
I will only use mild dishwashing detergent and water on my canopy, or Plexus cleaner. If I had a more aggressive stain I would use pure kerosene on a rag in moderation. Failing that I would use an Optica Scratch Off kit. That?s it....nothing else. I know isopropyl alcohol is relatively safe but sourcing pure isopropyl alcohol can be problematic. Sourcing pure kerosene is much easier and so that is what I recommend for difficult cleaning.
I?ve been on this forum for virtually 2 decades and it just drives me nuts that posters just keep recommending the most inappropriate/really dangerous products for use on Vans acrylic canopies. It just never ends.

The Everclear comment reminded me that one tenant left a bottle of vodka behind when he moved out. I needed to clean a few things and that worked great. 60% alcohol and 40% water.

Didn't use it on any acrylic, though....

Dave

Gee, I hope it was the cheap stuff!

Dave, we?re talking here about the use of solvents specifically on acrylic canopies. And the only alcohol that is safe to use on acrylic is isopropyl alcohol. I don?t know what Vans has on their website but if they are saying that denatured alcohol/methylated spirits is safe to use on acrylic canopies then they are totally misinformed.

Sniped from the canopy section in Section 5 of the construction manual
(you can access the entire document HERE)

For general cleaning use Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivalent and water followed by a clear water rinse. To prevent water spots,
blow-dry with compressed air or wipe dry with soft cotton flannel. Plexus, Sprayaway #848 Industrial Plastic Cleaner, or All Clear
can also be used for day to day cleaning. Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with mineral spirits, refined kerosene,
white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol. Wash approved solvents off the canopy with Dawn dishwashing liquid and water. It is
best to avoid using products on your canopy that are not specifically formulated for acrylics such as Rain-X or Lemon Pledge.

Keep it simple, Scott.

Grease, oil, tape residue, etc. may best be removed with mineral spirits, refined kerosene,
white gasoline, naphtha, or isopropyl alcohol

Scott, Vans is just confusing builders with this type of information. It may be technically correct...but it confuses the layman builder. You say “mineral spirits” and they buy methylated spirits. You say “isopropyl alcohol” and they buy rubbing alcohol which may be a blend of isopropyl and ethanol alcohol (or 100% ethanol). Then they destroy their canopies. Cut out all the options....just tell them to use kerosene. It’s cheap, readily available everywhere, and virtually impossible to confuse with other dangerous solvents.
You’re also telling builders to use “white gasoline”. Google “white gasoline” and you’ll find that it means different things in different countries. As I said you’re confusing builders. Keep it simple. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, the alcohol that is in your favorite tipple! Around 90% of methylated spirits is ethanol; so it's incredibly strong. But before anyone gets ideas, read on. The main additive is 10% methanol, which is highly toxic, but it may also include isopropyl alcohol, acetone, methyl ethyl ketone or other substances.

Back