What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV10 well new to me

Hi RV10ers. I just bought a used 2007 RV10. I’m new to the kit builds world and I’m looking for advise on RV10s and what to look out for from a maintenance perspective. The plane was assist built by John Nys out of Oklahoma which I’ve been told is a quality builder and I had the pre buy done by Base Leg Aviation out of Atlanta. So I feel like I have a quality RV. I’ve got a checkout scheduled after the prop get back from overhaul and can’t wait to learn how to fly it. Is there any particular AD’s I need to pay close attention to or anything else I should be on the look out for when it comes to older RV10s?

Robert, welcome to VAF. I am sure you are sleepless and with a heart rate of 200. :)
Getting checked off on a 10 is easy, it flys very well and is very responsive. Pay attention and you will be fine. Starting the 540 is a challenge in the beginning, but you will get the hang of it. If Vic/Nick approved it (they did mine) you are good.
Read and learn.

I’m sure you’ll soon get an ‘official’ welcome from Mike.
So, one correction: There are no AD’s for experimental amateur built airplanes; there is no manufacturer other than the original builder(s). Vans aircraft does issue service bulletins for area of concern. These can be found at <vansaircraft.com>. Off hand I’d check first to see if a reinforcing doubler was added in the tail, near the vertical stabilizer attach structure. I think this SB came out right around 2007.
I presume you’ve already checked into insurance. They’re the ones who will dictate minimum check out requirements. If not, I recommend Leah and crew at the Gallagher agency (they advertise here on vaf).
Next on your list: about a year and a half ago, a judge declared it illegal (and the faa agreed with him) for you to pay a cfi to give you instruction in your EAB airplane! The FAA made a waiver available, so you can again pay a cfi to instruct you. Search this web site, or use google, search for ‘loda’ and ‘eab’, you’ll come up with instructions to fill out an online form and email it. Within just a few days you’ll get the emailed waiver (called a loda). Print it out and you’re all set.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome! If you happen to make it to the Left Coast I'd be happy to give you some time in mine. While I'm not a CFI, you can still log it so it counts toward Time in type for insurance minimums.

-Marc

If Base Leg Aviation did a pre-buy for you, didn't he give you a list of outstanding Service Bulletins and an opinion of which ones really should be addressed?

I’m over at 9A0 about a 30 minute flight from your area. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to fly over here, grab a breakfast or lunch, and spend some time going over everything about the 10.

Welcome to the RV world! I just bought my RV-10 about 3 months ago off a post in this forum. VAF has been a great resource as I have tried to come up to speed on airplane, experimental and RV ownership (I had never owned or built a plane previously). It has been a steep learning curve. Feel free to PM me if you want a "newbie" RV-10 owner perspective.

Cheers,

Vas

Thanks to all of you for welcoming me to the group. I am learning a lot from this forum. I still haven’t flown it yet, waiting for the prop to be overhauled and a few other small items to be addressed from the prebuy. I have my checkout scheduled as soon as I get her airworthy!!

Back