camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Job Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2022, 09:12 AM

Default Looking for an Air Force Contact for my Son

Yesterday I learned that my son is interested in joining the Air Force, likely as a Pilot. I have seen many posts with folks mentioning their sons or daughters in the Air Force and was hoping that I could make a connection or two for my son. I would really like him to get a better appreciation for the details of that life and the best way to do that is with speaking with someone on the inside.

If your Son or Daughter would be willing to take a phone call from a like minded young adult, it would be greatly appreciated by my son and myself. He is a college graduate and has been working in the business community for the last 1.5 years.

Thanks for your consideration.

Larry
Old 11-02-2022, 10:50 AM

Default Guard or Reserves?

Donít know what your son is thinking about down the road, but if he is at all interested in an airline career - the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserves is an outstanding way to get the training he is looking for, serve your Country and be back in the civilian workforce in just a few years.

I did that 40 years ago (AFRES C-141) and it was a great way to get where I ultimately wanted to be.

Good luck to your son and thank him for considering serving his Country. I wish more young people would do that.

Locust Grove, GA
DA20-A1 "Princess Amelia" - gone home to Amelia Island
RV-7A Phase 2 (Honored to be Van's "Miss July" 2021) - now at her new home in Lakeville, MN
RV-10ER officially an airplane as of 4/5/22!
EAA Technical Counselor
Old 11-02-2022, 11:28 AM

City? Does he like his day job?

Heaven is living and working in your Guard/Reserve area, with either a very fixed or very flexible work schedule.

Does he have a PPL? Has he had a great aeromedical exam screening for any issues or waiver needs?

Those are the starting points even before getting to know local mil flyers.

I was active duty before AFRES, I do not suggest active duty.

Last edited by moosepileit : 11-02-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosepileit View Post
City? Does he like his day job?

Heavenis living and working in your Guatd/Reserve area, with either a very fixed or very flexible work schedule.

Does he have a PPL? Has he had a great aeromedical exam screening for any issues or waiver needs?

Those are the starting points even before getting to know local mil flyers.

I was active duty before AFRES, I do not suggest active duty.
He is currently in Dallas, but that is not long term at the moment. He is questioning his career decision.

No PPL, but I would send my 6 down there so he could get one relatively quickly. Health is good and he is very athletic. 20/20 corrected, but needs glasses.

Would you be willing to speak with him to share your experiences?

Larry
Old 11-02-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
20/20 corrected, but needs glasses.
Larry
When I was young (50 years ago) the Ďneeds glassesí was not acceptable for new applicants. Maybe things have changed. Should be easy enough to find out - just call a recruiter.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
He is currently in Dallas, but that is not long term at the moment. He is questioning his career decision.

No PPL, but I would send my 6 down there so he could get one relatively quickly. Health is good and he is very athletic. 20/20 corrected, but needs glasses.

Would you be willing to speak with him to share your experiences?

Larry
To add to moosepileit's comments, medical eligibility should be the first things to check off. Guard/Reserve units usually won't even consider someone without a PPL unless they are already in the unit. So consider that in the decision as well.

When he does talk to a current (or fairly recent) AF pilot, I would encourage him to ask about all the negatives and hardships that accompany the job. it may look like a killer job on the outside, but as a former AF pilot and good friend once told me, "It could be the greatest job in the world, but it isn't...". Yes, being a Guard or Reserve pilot provides a much better lifestyle than active duty, but it still requires a significant commitment just to maintain currency, not to mention TDY's and deployments. I think our unit (C-130s) requires something like a minimum of 4 day and 2 night sorties per month, plus sims, alt chamber, etc. If you fly fighters, increase that committment exponentially. You can definitely have an additional civilian job, but it's not easy. If you want to make a decent wage as a part timer, you'll have to pick up a lot of trips and extras. Depending on which airframe you fly, it could take some time to build up enough hours even for the regionals.

If you have no other goal than to become a professional pilot, going the military route is as good as it gets, but it's not necessarily all it's cracked up to be.
Exemption waived, 2022 donation made
Old 11-02-2022, 01:00 PM

You might check out CW LeMoines website and YouTube channel. Interesting career trajectory. He started out flying the F16, then joined the Navy and flew the F18, then finished his military career back with the Air Force flying the T38 in an Aggressor squadron. Interesting guy. Now he flies for American Airlines.
IFR equipped
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 11-02-2022, 01:13 PM

I'll PM you my number. Air Force reservist with recent active duty experience.
Old 11-02-2022, 04:55 PM

PM'd my info.

No eye surgery before being approved for the procedure is the modern day key for eyes, I think. The right folks in the right place are what you want to find in a unit.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:07 PM

Default Iím in

Larry,

Iíd be glad to chat with your son. PM inbound with my info.

While Iím not a USAF pilot, I come from a family with 2 of them (F-106; T-37 FAIP/KC-10). I also volunteered to be a fighter flight doc for 6 years, deploying with and getting to be (the nerdy) part of one of the most awesome communities around. Kind of like this place. .

The flt doc role also provided some good perspective on pilot quality of life considerations, realities, etc.

Everything has pros & cons but with the right mindset (many unknowns & aspects out of your direct control), itís a valid option. Iíve complained my share, but look back more thankful as I approach 20 active years with a variety of unique firsthand experience and 4 different AFSCs/career fields.

Sounds like he has no known medical clearance issues, but I can help clarify that process a bit as well. The required tests can at times uncover some issues, but turns out many ďnormalĒ people still exist.
Prior partner in RV-9a & RV-10
Now flying RV-10 #40515