What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Performance propeller

Performance Propeller

I run one on my RV-4 with a hotrodded IO-360 PV. It’s smoothness is unsurpassed and I’m capable of 220 mph speeds.
Frank from Performance who was trained by Clark Lydick the founder of the company who actually got his start from Bernie Warne. Long line of craftsman but sadly no more. I bought a spare for my plane before Frank hung it up so hopefully Im good for awhile. If you get the chance to try one you won’t be disappointed as long as you get the desired pitch that meets you compromise of climb vs cruise.

Performance

Performance Propellers is now in the Chicago area. Two brothers trained by Frank and they took over the business.
Morris??? Il. I'll post more info when I find it.

Performance vs Catto prop

I've had a Performance and Catto props on my RV-4, 160 hp. Both companies are GREAT and will custom fit the parameters for you. My props are designed for higher rpms for aerobatics. I found very little difference between the two when comparing airspeed vs rpm. The Performance prop gets off the ground quicker, but the Catto has better acceleration between 90 and 120 knots, and a few knots fasterWOT. Both are very tough (60 layers of maple vs wood/composite) with bolt torques around 35 ft pounds. If you e-mail me with an e-mail address, I can send you my testing with graphs. Nice to have both interchangeable props with same weight but different spinners.
Bill McLean:D
RV-4 slider
lower Alabama

Recommendation for spinner 3 blade perf prop

Lucky me just bought a 3 blade performance prop - looking for recommendations on spinner?

Lucky me just bought a 3 blade performance prop - looking for recommendations on spinner?

Hi Gordon, just order the kit from Van's: https://store.vansaircraft.com/spinner-kit-for-wooden-fixed-pitch-propellers-spinner-fp-13.html.
They're on back-order, but you have time...

One thing is worth asking Van's about: does the spinner bowl come with blade cutouts or is it completely blank? If it comes with cutouts already, it's probably for a 2-blade. The (ancient) one I got from Van's was blank.

Heinrich

Last edited:
Thanks Heinrich. I asked Vans if their spinner could be ordered “blank”. We’ll see.
Regards, Gordon

Back