What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Size

Chofrock

On an RV-10, What is the lenght of the fuselage, from the firewall to the tail (with or without the tail on).

What is the width of the fueslage, and the width of the tail?

I have a two car garage to work with, I am sure I cannot get the plane all together in the garage, but I want to be sure I can at least put the fuselage together without making some ugly addition to the front of my garage. (that would not make the wife happy.)

I'm in a two car 20 X 20 garage. I can give you an accurate measurement tonight, unless someone else pipes in before (at work now). If I recall, it's 19'-7" :confused: from the back tailcone skin to the firewall and about 50" wide, overall with the tail (rudder) and nose gear is 24'. It fits in mine corner to corner. HS is almost 12' wide. My biggest restriction is height, :eek: the tip of the VS is higher than my garage ceiling if the fuse is on the gear. Of course I never expected to get the wings on in there, I have a big 'ol hangar for that, I just can't bring myself to move to the hangar until I really have too just because I can sneak out and do "something" if I have a spare few minutes between honeydoo's :p .

Rick S.
Fuselage/finish

Last edited:
Chofrock said:
On an RV-10, What is the lenght of the fuselage, from the firewall to the tail (with or without the tail on).

What is the width of the fueslage, and the width of the tail?

I have a two car garage to work with, I am sure I cannot get the plane all together in the garage, but I want to be sure I can at least put the fuselage together without making some ugly addition to the front of my garage. (that would not make the wife happy.)
212.5 inches from firewall to back of VS, NOT counting the rudder. The HS is 12 feet and the fuselage is 49 inches wide at the 57 inch spar carry-thru.

My construction progress is slow as I sold my last house and am about to move into a new house with a column-less 29 X 19 (non garage, temperature controlled) work area. I think I bought the house just for that room.

Once I pull up the carpet and put down tile or UCoatIt floor, I'll be building again.

Last edited:
If you are building in a 20X20 garage I should be able to do the same in my 21x23 garage. :)

I will probably have to stick the nose or the tail outside to fit the Vertical and Horizontal stabs. Hopefully I can quickly (over a weekend, or week) fit them and take them back off so I can move the project back inside.

It looks like it will be impossible to fit both wings, would it do any good to do just one wing at a time?

small garage

Reading this trhread with great interest. I also have a 20X20 garage. Tight fit.

Jealous in my sub-par space

I barely have something resembling a 10 x 15 space that i share with water heaters, washer/dryer, and furnace. it's a city lot, so it's more long than wide, which is actually somewhat fortunate.

i won't be able to finish in this space, but at least, i can start. i am almost done assembling the tailcone. the wings should also fit in this space. i hope with all hope that i have enough space to do both wings at the same time. i will definitely need to workout better space before doing the fuse. however, that is at least a year away for me to worry now. ;)

Jae

jchang10 said:
I barely have something resembling a 10 x 15 space that i share with water heaters, washer/dryer, and furnace. it's a city lot, so it's more long than wide, which is actually somewhat fortunate.

i won't be able to finish in this space, but at least, i can start. i am almost done assembling the tailcone. the wings should also fit in this space. i hope with all hope that i have enough space to do both wings at the same time. i will definitely need to workout better space before doing the fuse. however, that is at least a year away for me to worry now. ;)

Jae

Jae,
You will have a verrry tight fit in your space with the wings. I believe they will make it but 15' is gonna be close! I'm sure you don't want to be sticking out for security reasons so I'll measure my spars, to be sure.
Bill Jepson

I built the wings in a room smaller than 10X15. I think my room was 7 X 14. I didn't put the wing tips on but I was able to do everything else. I had to assemble them in a room that small because the room had AC and it was summertime in Savannah! The wings without the tips are 12' 5".

Back