What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Your favorite tool?

Chofrock

Many people have talked about many different tools that help them in the building process. Some are expense, some are not.

Which tool (outside of the stand "kit" tools) has help you the most, or saved you the most time?

Pneumatic rivet squeezer, hands down. I am a tool person and have almost everything. The one tool that I don't have that everyone elso seems to like is the "c-frame". I tried it and just don't care for it.
Mel...DAR

Mel,

What do you suggest as a substitute for the c-frame for dimpling? Short of the DRDT-2 or whatever it is called.

I've developed a luv/hat relationship with (in other words, respect for) the pneumatic squeezer after mangling a few parts by triggering it half a second before everything was aligned when dimpling.

My favorite tool in the "this lets me do a better job than I thought I would" sense is a harbor freight bench grinder w/ both medium and fine scotchbrite wheels.... so far... :)

Jon,
You're not going to like my answer. I prefer the "pop rivet dimpler." I know, it's a lot more trouble, but when I started building back in the early '80s there wasn't much to choose from and I just got used to the pop rivet dimpler. I've found that with a little finess, you can adjust the air pressure on the pneumatic rivet puller to make perfect dimples every time and one nail will last through almost a complete wing skin. Around the edges, you can't beat the vice-grip dimpler.
Mel...DAR

squeezer

I built a cradle, that clamps to my work bench, for my pneumatic squeezer. I safety wired the trigger to the on position. I made up foot operated 120v electric solenoid valve & plugged it into the squeezer. This makes dimpling j-channels, ribs, & lots of other parts a breeze. :) My 10 year old daughter, Kaitlynn, dimpled all the j-channels, some of the bulkheads for the tailcone, & the j-channels for the wings of our RV10.
I know I'll probably get a real bashing for wiring the trigger in the on position, but, so be it. :rolleyes:

Marshall Alexander
RV10 wings

I am going to have to vote for my pneumatic squeezer as well. I clamp it in the vice and dimple ribs and stiffeners about 50 times faster than with a manual squeezer. I have often wished for a foot switch. Sounds like Marshall came up with a good way to get one. Just be careful... As someone said in another thread, don't play any foot-tapping music while you are using it! :)

Pneumatic Squeezer Riveter!!!! I don't even own a hand squeezer. This is a quick and easy way to set up for mass dimpling. Not a nice as Marshall's, though.

Roberta

dimplevs21ql.jpg

DREMEL! Hands down... it's the DREMEL!!!

It does everything but squeeze a rivet!

I have a selection of bits to beat the band!

;) CJ

Pneumatic squeezer!

I got a pneumatic squeezer at a super price(probably wouldn't have bought one at full retail prior to using one) and wish I'd have bought it before the hand squeezer. They use the same yokes and I don't remember the last time I pinned a yoke to the hand squeezer.

Electric Belt Sander!

Ok, the pneumatic squeezer is obvious. We bought a used one, with "Piper" on it from the Yardstore and later we added a no-hole yoke and a longeron yoke to the 3" yoke that came with the squeezer. Furthermore I fully agree on the Dremel. But a tool I use a lot for shaping a lot of parts is our cheap Chinese belt sander! On the sanding belt I grind everything down to straight edges and the sanding disk is used for making straight angles on parts. Invaluable!

checkbook

Since I have not yet begun construction, I would have to say that, at this point, my favorite tool is my checkbook.

Without a doubt, the belt/disc sanders and Dremmel tools are outstanding tools. I might have to say a three way tie, in my book, the the air squeezer. Another great tool for me was a cheap Home Depot chop saw with a cut off wheel for cutting AL angle and bar stock.

Roberta

die grinder, electric screwdriver, and mirrors

I need to update my favorite tools page, but I can say that these three are at the top of my list:

• die grinder (with lots of cheap scotchbrite wheels and pads)
  • electric screwdriver
  • mirrors

I also recommend getting several cleco pliers, several pairs of scissors, and several rulers.

I've got some pictures here:

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=2004022721412836

BTW, I have a QB and I really couldn't have used a pneumatic squeezer very much. After the tail kit is complete, there are not too many rivets that you can squeeze. They are really cool, though, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Pop-dimpler?!?!

Mel,

You are truly the master.... I've haven't managed to get more than 4 pulls out of a nail when pulling w/ a pneumatic rivet puller. A whole skin? :eek:

I was looking through the ATS catalog and they have a dimpling set (w/ matching backing block) for a rivet gun... anybody try one of those?

pneumatic squeezer

I love my pneumatic squeezer with the foot control. I got both from Avery's. The foot control lets you control the speed that the piston closes so you can take your time and not make mistakes.

Jon,
The trick is to turn the air almost off, try a dimple and gradually increase the air pressure 'til the dimple is complete and leave the air pressure at that point. Usually it will be just over 5 psi, depending of course on your puller and the skin thickness. I can usually do a complete wing skin with 2-3 nails.
Mel...DAR

I bought The DRDT-2 dimpler made by Experiment Aero after receiving the empennage kit and is by far the best tool purchase that I have made. I have a C-Clamp dimpler that just sit on the shelf and never gets used. Dimpling is more consistent, easy, and a lot faster than the C-Clamp Dimpler. Would give up my Pneumatic Squeezer before the DRDT-2.

Finishing Fuselage
Finishing Kit Ordered

Squeak
Southern Indiana

What's better than a pneumatic squeezer?

The only thing better than a pneumatic squeezer is a borrowed pneumatic squeezer. Thanks Danny!

Dremel tools and a 3M wheel run a close second in my book.

Thanksgiving in the shop

I almost feal like we're all sitting down for thanksgiving dinner and telling our family what we're thankfull for and why, then agreeing that what we're thankfull for is a good choice. :rolleyes: I've never had the pleasure of a pnumatic squeezer, but i don't ever recall having to drill out a hand squeezed rivet because i squeezed a trigger to early. There for I'd have to say i love (or am thankful for) my hand squeezer, bandsaw and for some odd reason, I love a good unibit. Too many times I've almost driven to the hardware store about to buy some odd sized bit, when I stuble on the unibit.

~Joe
RV-4 Fuselage

pneumatic squeezer yes, but.....

One of the sleepers is the pneumatic cleco puller. It has been a blessing. You would be surprized at how fast you can set and reset a couple hundred clecos.

Model 732 Dremel

My favorite "oddball" tool is a heavy-duty Model 732 Dremel. This isn't the usual Dremel where everything is self-contained in a single unit. Instead, it has a separate motor that is connected to a lightweight handpiece with a long, flexible shaft. It accepts the usual Dremel attachments that have an 1/8" shaft, and also works with scotchbrite wheels and discs that have a 1/4" shaft and would normally be used in a die grinder. You control the rpms with a footswitch. Because it's so quiet, I've used it late at night when I didn't want fire up the compressor and die grinder.

Mark

I've got two favorites. Both are rarely used, but when they are they work perfectly. My Sata NR2000 HVLP gun and my ratcheting wire crimp tool w/all the various dies. Both of these tools are pricey but they just can't be beat.

Tool Accessory

I use several air tools while building. One of my best "fairly cheap" purchases was the Cleveland Tool Lightweight Airhose kit. This is a 10' small diameter lightweight airhose with a mini-disconnect at the end. The kit also comes with 3 mini fittings to install into the tools. I bought extra fittings for my other tools. This hose is very flexible and the mini fittings are light which keeps everything light and much more flexible compared to standard air hose with the larger fittings.

Andy

http://www5.mailordercentral.com/clevtool/prodinfo.asp?number=ACKIT

being careful

Yes, I do have to be careful with the foot switch. It will take a chunk of skin out of the finger mighty quick. I did it dimpling some ribs. :eek:

Marshall Alexander
RV10 Wings

Favorite tool

I recently purchased a deburring tool, that is "sweeet". It has a single flute within the bit that deburrs one side as you pass through, and deburrs that back side on the way out. Found it through U.S. Tool Comp. Called a "Burraway Precision/Chamfering Hole tool.
Very fast, consistant results.

This has been my best tool by far. Its a wrist pin from a Cummings Diesel Semi Truck engine. I obviously use it as a bucking bar and its diameter is large enough I can use the side as well. Talk about set a rivet quick!

-Jeff

STUFF%20120.jpg

14 inch band saw

I?d have to say my favorite tool, out side of what is included in a standard kit, is my 14 inch band saw. You can build a kit with a hand squeezer (I did) but you would be hard pressed to build it without a band saw.

RP

Gloves

Not really a tool, but I got a pair of CLC Gel Pro Framers Gloves at the hardware store. They are like mechanics gloves but the thumbs & 1st and 2nd fingers are open. They have gel cushioned pads in the palms. I wear them all the time - easy to pick up a rivet, they absorb some rivet gun impact, and protect skin from many (but not all) cuts and scrapes.

Best Tool??

#1 "Multitool" attachment for bench grinder. Takes Scotch Brite belts and makes deburring a treat.

#2 Pneumatic Squeezer

#3 Acquired last weekend, but wish I had it years ago - Avery's Universal Head Rivet remover, Does a perfect job of removing universal head rivets every time.

Ron
RV-10 fuse.

Went out today and got myself a new DA (the sander, not the haircut). My old one got loaned out to a neighbor and never returned. Boy, I had forgotten just how lame other sanders are compared to a DA. Made quick work of filling the ripples in my wingtips and will come in real handy when its time to scuff the whole plane for paint.

avaviat said:
Mel,

You are truly the master.... I've haven't managed to get more than 4 pulls out of a nail when pulling w/ a pneumatic rivet puller. A whole skin? :eek:

I was looking through the ATS catalog and they have a dimpling set (w/ matching backing block) for a rivet gun... anybody try one of those?

Yes, I have one, and tried it out the other day. I have a 3x gun, and I found that it's best if you dial the pressure down to 15 or 20 psi tops. Just make sure its straight on the part and it makes nice dimples for areas that you can't get a squeezer on, or where parts have already been assembled.

I got it specifically for those areas of the fuselage where Van's instructs to dimple the skins even though the other parts have not been match drilled yet.
I didn't want to have to drill through a dimpled hole which is usually larger in diameter and try to have it match the other part afterwards. This way I can match drill the holes then dimple both parts afterwards.

Favorite Business Tool

Ok I have two tool boxes full of tools from which I could present a top ten list of tools. But if you boil it down to one it has to be the end result. That right Transporter N116WT is my favorite tool.
37a14mf.jpg
37b5yr.jpg
Two weeks ago I got a call in the morning from the guys at Cub Crafters, they wanted a quote on moving some of thier Sport Cubs. Typed up the quote and had it on their desk in under two hours. Got a tour of the factory and was back at work with two hours left to work.

I can fly over to Vans on 35 minutes (three hours by car) and be back in the office to still make a productive day of it. The plane is my favorite.

BTW if you ever get a chance to tour Cub Crafters in Yakima WA do it. They reminded me of the the group at Vans, a very good company. There is a resturant on the field too.

Tony - your ride looks great.

My favorite building tool would be a 45 deg drill followed very closely by my pneumatic squeezer. That drill can go many places others can't.

Scott Will said:
My favorite building tool would be a 45 deg drill followed very closely by my pneumatic squeezer. That drill can go many places others can't.
Scott,

Like you, I much prefer the utility and ergonomics of a 45 degree drill over the typical 90 degree variety. Still, I would be hard pressed indeed to vote my alligator squeezer off the island first. :D
256sb.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Pnuematic Squeezer!

I have only built the emp. on my RV-7A but I built the horizontal stabilizer with the Avery hand squeezer. I knew right then that I was not going to build this entire plane that way and ordered the pneumatic one that used the same yoke as the hand model. That way I had multiple yokes to choose from. I completed the vertical stab, rudder, and elevators with allot less pain and suffering. At the time I thought it was allot of money but based on the amount of happiness it brought, I would say that over the life of a project, this thing would pay for itself at least a 100 times.

Mammoth pneumatic squeezer

My favourite tool was a huge pneumatic squeezer jaw that a local RV-6A builder had made. I borrowed it for a few months to dimple skins. Unfortunately he moved to Alberta and took it with him :(

More info

20021026181650253_1.jpg

I saw a picture of that huge yoke (or one like it) some time ago and am trying to figure out how to build one for myself.

Any details on how it was made? General dimensions? Throat depth? Any problems with it?

I was debating between getting some 1/2" plate and cutting it out with a cutting torch, or making up the nose and mount section of the yoke out of .5x1" stock, precision mounting them to a jig, and then welding up a yoke around them out of square tubing. If I weld it, I'll need to stick with lighter materials as all I've got is a 185A TIG welder and a couple O/A torches.

I was asked this same question two years ago by an FAA guy I know and I think my answer still stands today, with one exception

4" Delta belt sander w/ 5" disk and my shop vac.

The exception is my tungsten bucking bars.

I am almost finished with the riveting and have done the entire plane with a hand squeezer. Yes, there have been times I wish I had spent the 400 bucks on a phenumatic squeezer but I'm not sure it is nessary.

Kevin Horton said:
My favourite tool was a huge pneumatic squeezer jaw that a local RV-6A builder had made. I borrowed it for a few months to dimple skins. Unfortunately he moved to Alberta and took it with him :(

Would that be strong enough to squeze rivets too?

avaviat said:
I saw a picture of that huge yoke (or one like it) some time ago and am trying to figure out how to build one for myself.

Any details on how it was made? General dimensions? Throat depth? Any problems with it?

There is more info here, in the comment below the article. The only problem was carrying it around. It was a heavy SOB. I could move it by myself, but I had to be careful not to hurt my back.

Chofrock said:
Would that be strong enough to squeze rivets too?
I don't recall that I squeezed any rivets with it, but I have no doubts that it would be stiff enough. I didn't flex any more than a normal yoke when I dimpled with it. It was very stiff.

I don't have a pneumatic dimpler/riveter to use on my QB. :( I MUST be missing out on a GREAT tool! I do like the Cleaveland C Frame, too. Every time I whack it, it makes me feel like I am Really doing something.... :cool: Plus, it has the bottom die holder that can be used in a rivet gun.

One of my MOST USEFUL "extra" tools is a 6" x 48" belt sander.

It quickly sands the oblique/accute angles on various pieces (rollover bar brackets and others) and saves a lot of cutting, filing, shaping, fitting time for many other parts. Rounding corners of anything you can hold in your hands is a cinch. After rounding, Just deburr with a file or other tool, light sanding or ScotchBright -- presto, it looks nice.

I can take off about 1/32" inch of material from the edge of the wing fairing in about five minutes -- sanding to a scribed mark, of course, then finish as above. Fitting the under-the-horizontal-stabilizer fairing took a little longer (and several cut-and-tries) to make the recommended 1/32" gap, but it made nice to match the slight curve of the stab by carefully "playing" it over the outboard roller of the sander. (It's easy to goof it up with a little too much pressure at the wrong time and place! Be careful! :eek: )

Making straight edges after cutting with snips is a cinch, too. Just be carful not to press too hard and allow a tiny extra for filing and final fitting.

I like #60 or #80 grit for hogging off material when necessary.

Sounds like I shoulda boughta pneumatic squeezer. Honestly though, on my quick build RV8, I don't see that I would have used one very much. I wish I had two microstops. I burned a lot of time changing around and resetting depths from #30 to #40 and back again and again. A tool that has saved me lots of time is a cordless screwdriver chucked to my deburring bit.

Across the board though, my vote goes to the dremel. I wore one completely out, and am working on destroying another.

Pneumatic Squeezer

I worked with hand squeezer at the RV assembly class. Splurged on the pneumatic. Best investment I have made. I have some arthritis in my hands and the squeezer and (and very importantly) foot controler have really saved me.

I have a dremel tool, have used in extensively in RC but haven't found a use in RV assembly. How are you guys using them?

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Wings (tanks)

I want good tools but I like to work with my hands

I liked the "C" frame for dimpling and riveting when appropriate - no pneumatic squeezers, etc. for me. Unibit and rivet cutter were two very useful tools but the tool I really liked which falls outside the question except for quantity was the clecoe fastener. I bought coffee cans full of them and I clecoed every hole in the non-prepunched skins as I drilled them - God I loved to see that little porcupine defining a new shape. Of all the work, the instrument panel, systems installations, firewall forward, canopy, fiberglass, rigging, wiring, testing and all the rest, what I liked most was the sheetmetal work of the airframe. The abundance of those little clecoes enabled the precision necessary to hold it all together emotionally as well as physically.

Bob Axsom

Back