What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 verses RV-8 ???

Hi, guys. A newbie here trying to decide on which plane to build. I recently got to sit, but not fly in, a flying RV8(not kit form). I am 6ft 1in and 240 lbs. I must say it was quite confortable and felt like i was in a fighter plane. My wife, 125 lbs had plenty of room in the back. My question is, is the RV4 pretty much the same as the 8?? I've looked at the specs on Vans site and can't really see a ton of difference in the two as far as interior goes. Does anybody here have experience riding in the two so as to give me hands on comparison. I've seen more than one RV4 projects that builders are willing to part with which I can afford more so than an RV8 kit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Tom in Ga.

RV-4 verses RV-8 ????

Hi, guys. A newbie here trying to decide on which plane to build. I recently got to sit, but not fly in, a flying RV8(not kit form). I am 6ft 1in and 240 lbs. I must say it was quite confortable and felt like i was in a fighter plane. My wife, 125 lbs had plenty of room in the back. My question is, is the RV4 pretty much the same as the 8?? I've looked at the specs on Vans site and can't really see a ton of difference in the two as far as interior goes. Does anybody here have experience riding in the two so as to give me hands on comparison. I've seen more than one RV4 projects that builders are willing to part with which I can afford more so than an RV8 kit. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Tom in Ga.

I think the interior dimension info on Van's web site might be a bit misleading. The RV-4 is a fair bit narrower than the RV-8, as evidenced by the dimensions on Ron Wanttaja's web page. The best bet is to find an RV-4 to sit in. There are quite a few around, so there is a good chance there is one in your area.

The two aircraft have the same wing airfoil and wing area. The RV-4 is lighter, which makes it nicer to fly, but it has a lot less panel area, less fuel and less baggage space. The RV-4 kit is less advanced than the RV-8 kit, so it is a bit more work to build.

Either one is a great aircraft.

The -4 is quite a bit narrower, and there is not as much head clearance. I can't sit in a -4 and close the canopy. I'm 6'3", mostly torso. I think you would be MUCH more comfortable in an -8 at your size.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

4 v. 8

You'll be cosy in the -4. I'm 6'2"/195lb, and a tad more legroom would be nice, and If I was any wider the flap handle and/or pax's feet would be obstructed significantly. Wife would be Ok in either.

a data point

I'll relay a few data points from the guy I fly with all the time, 2 hangar doors down, who has a beautiful RV-4. He has a couple of "complaints" about its configuration...

1) He says he won't fly with a passenger over 200 pounds. The lack of pitch feedback when slow in that configuration can mess with you. Got any 201-pound friends you'd like to fly with? :rolleyes: His particular RV-4 has a hopped up O-360 with a heavy Hartzell up front, and even with that heavy nose he talks about the CG issue when a body is in the back seat.

2) Just 2 days ago he was saying he wants to add a moving map. He has no room to do it without panel surgery. I asked if he'd consider a handheld, ipaq, whatever, and his response was that anywhere he puts it, it'll be covering something else up. Not much space.

3) When we travel, range is somewhat limited by the -4's small fuel tanks. When flying with a pack of -4's, -6's, -7's, and -8's, it's the RV-4 that gets low on fuel first.

4) We do "photo missions" from time to time. When this guy's wife flies with us, we actually put her in the back of another guy's RV-8 instead of the RV-4. Gives her much more room with the camera & lens. In the -4 she says she'd be hitting the canopy and not having as much room to twist around.

He loves his RV-4, and it looks like a fun little plane. He did a fantastic job cramming everything in, using the cheeks behind the firewall for some stuff (firewall space is limited).

My impression of the RV-4 is that it's probably the most "fun" non-Rocket RV to fly, but not necessarily the most versatile. If you want to equip the plane for IFR, be able to tote around porky passengers, make long cross-country trips, and have a little more room for...well...everything, then the RV-8 may be a good choice. If you like more of a challenge in the construction phase, and you're not gonna go nuts on equipment and avionics, then the RV-4 is cool, too.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Last edited:
For heavy loads, wouldn't the side-by-side arrangement be better with the weight more or less centered over the wings?

side by side

Yeah, the side-by-side's CG is less effected with heavy passengers. Then again, the RV-8 has that nice forward baggage compartment to help balance things out.

But now we're getting into the classic debate about side-by-side versus tandem, tip-up versus slider, primer versus none...best leave this to the experts.

)_( Dan
RV-7 N714D
http://www.rvproject.com

Money

I think your orignal post mentioned the $$ factor. Yes the RV-4 is a great plane and you could pick up a kit cheaper? However you will not save that much money over buying a slow build RV-8 kit from Van's. Also some times on a "good deal" kit, already started, may be more trouble than if you just started from scratch. Buying used, yes a RV-4 is much less. I had an RV-4, but you are a big boy at 240 lb, your wife 125 lb? Poor lady, the RV-8 is a better fit. :D Save your money for a RV-8 kit and build it. G

Last edited:
-4 vs -8

Having owned both an -8 and several -4s, there is no doubt that at your size and weight the -8 is a better fit...no pun intended. The -8 just has more room. Not necessarily in length but in the way the seat up front is built you 'sit up' more which makes for more room rather than laid out like in a race car...or a -4.

The -4 is a better flying airplane and more 'fun' i think, which is why I'm back to the four. The point madwe about the range is true too. You had better not plan longer than 3 hours in the -4, but generally that is enough for me.

From an aerobatics standpoint or having the right look, a -4 can't be beat. And as far as construction, the -8 is easier and generally the same amount of material however the -4 is OVERBUILT. There has never been an inflight failure of a -4, quite reassuring considering the newbies doing aerobatics out there.

i am 6'1" and 200 pounds and have had my dad at 250#s in the back seat. The CG is a challenge for sure. My wife is 5'7" and 145#s and has no problems.

Good luck!

Jetj01

RV-4 vs RV-8

I did this same debating before I started my 8. I think the Rv-4 is much more sexy with the cheek cowls and swept gear but I did sit in both models. I am 6 ft 220 and while I could fit in both there was ALOT less room in the 4 further more I ran some weight and balance situations and the -4 is pretty critical on who you have in the back seat and how much fuel you have up front. I wanted to be able to take my father in law who is the same size as me and in the -4 we would only be in CG with full tanks and not for long enough to go much of anywhere. But if you dont like you father in law maybe you wouldnt have the same concerns. Depends on your mission goals I suppose, mostly just you and for hops on the weekend, 4 may work. If its you and the wife for a trip somewhere with bags....you do the weight and bal.
just my 2 cents

Jeremy
-8 need to buy finish kit

1st post on this list so here goes.....

The 4 is no where near as comfortable as the 8, but if your buying a nice one already flying, the 4 is half the price of the 8. For that price difference I can put up with the cramped cockpit and lower range....

What's your mission? The RV-4 is a fun daytime sport plane. You will not find better for this mission. It is also quite good for cross country flight for ONE person. After flying my RV-4 for three years I'd have to agree that for two people this is not the best choice for a cross country airplane. Yes it can be done with careful loading and light packing. If your mission is primarily cross country travel with the missus I'd stear away from either tandem model and go with the RV7, or 9. Plenty of room to pack stuff. Someone to help you with flying duties while you fight with the charts (or your moving map.) And they still look cool.

Another thing to consider is that it will be easier to find an instuctor to check yo out in a side-by-side model than a tandem model. It is not impossible to find good tandem instructors but much more redily available in the RV-6/7/9 than the 4 or 8.

Choices Choices

I'm 6'-5" at 250 pounds. I am currently building an 8. I went with the 8 for spacing considerations but my decision was finalized when I took a couple of rides in the back of a friends 8. He's about 215 and I'm 250 and the plane performed fine.

When solo he does like to add ballast in the rear baggage compartment.

Either one will be great!

RV4 vs RV8

I have an RV4 and have 500 hours in it I weigh 220# and it is cosey. I have about 1hour in an RV8. The RV8 will be much easier to build especially if you go fast build. If crosscountry is your goal I would go RV8. If aerobatics is your intention the RV4 is the way. The RV8 has only 75% of the roll rate of the RV4. But neither is in any way an Extra. I feel the vertical stbilizer and rudder are insufficient in both aircraft. Roger Moore [email protected]

RV-4 comfort

I always tell folks that the -4 is great if you are no taller than 5' 10" and 160 pounds! My wife is 5' 6" and 110 and fits fine in the back. It is a little airplane but I truly like it. I did move my instrument panel foward 1 once which helps a lot I feel. Foot wells in the rear help a lot for rear seat comfort. Also I tried to cut my canopy as high as possible which resulted in 1 inch of addition headroom.

Mee too!

I chose the 8 simply for the additional space. The 4 was too small. I have been in an 8 and it was quite comfortable. I have flown in the back of an 8 with plenty of room as well.

The cowling on the 4 looks better than the 8 but the 8 is the baddest puppy on the porch. MPO(my personal opinion)

6'-5" @ 250 pounds.

Pratdj
RV-8 Empennage
N284DP (Reserved)

The RV-4 is a daytime lightweight sport plane. It flies the best of all of the RV's, it also has the least amount of room of all the RV's. If your mission is daytime local sport flying, this is the plane for you. IF your mission is cross-country travel in relative comfort but still want the sexiness of tandem seating and a fighter feel, then the RV-8 is for you. If this is mainly a cross-country traveling machine that will need all the latest gizmos, go for an RV-7.

Pre-Punched.

If you are planning on building then you should know that the -8 is pre-punched, wheras the -4 is not.

The pre-punched kits are much easier to put together. :D

svanarts said:
If your mission is daytime local sport flying, this is the plane for you. IF your mission is cross-country travel in relative comfort but still want the sexiness of tandem seating and a fighter feel, then the RV-8 is for you.

Let's don't forget which plane Johansen used to circumnavigate the globe. :p

Steve Zicree
RV4

4 vs. 8

having logged too much time in backseat of my 4...buttsoreness is common. the 8 is WAY more comfy, especially if trip is over an hr. anyone over 200 # would be happier in 8 in my opinion..

RV-4 Blues

Yup,
I've got a fair amount of time in a friend's "4", and anything more than one hour of cross-country in the backseat can be classified as torture. Anything more than 3 hours in the front is just about the same. They sure fly nice though!

I'm 5'10" and 195 lbs. In the front seat, I have to remove cushions so that my D.C. headset doesn't rap on the top of the canopy. After that is done, my a$$ bones start poking through the skin on my butt shortly after!

For serious cross-country work any RV should have an autopilot. It's just too much work to be fun after a few hours, especially in turbulence.

Cheers, Pete

Back