What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Cheap Are You?

Champ

Well Known Member
Thought it might be fun to ask.

Example - Plexus windscreen cleaner is pretty expensive and when you get to the bottom of the spray can there isn't enough pressure to get the last of it out. So - I punch a hole in the bottom of the can and can drain out enough to get a whole bunch more mileage out of it.

I'm not cheap enough to use pledge in it's place, but cheap enough to have tried it after reading reviews.

Look on u-tube. There are instructions for refilling the gas in a WD-40 spray can using a tire tube fill stem. Should work for this, too. :)

Look on u-tube. There are instructions for refilling the gas in a WD-40 spray can using a tire tube fill stem. Should work for this, too. :)

That trick works great on more than WD-40 cans. Best money saving tip I have found on YouTube.

Last edited:
Thats fine for WD40. But on acrylic or plexi glass on our prized birds, Spend the money.

Cheap

Wow! I'm not that cheap. No problem tossing whatever can and buying another. I use a lot of Plexus. Two 4x4s with convertible tops and plastic windows plus my airplane.

Another example:

http://www.bob2000.com/

Although I notice that with the change by Aeroshell to the red bottles, they don't seem to fit as tightly in the holes, so a bit of a balancing act to get them to stay while they drain. Still, I'm up to my 3rd "free" quart now :)

Thought it might be fun to ask.

Example - Plexus windscreen cleaner is pretty expensive and when you get to the bottom of the spray can there isn't enough pressure to get the last of it out. So - I punch a hole in the bottom of the can and can drain out enough to get a whole bunch more mileage out of it.

That is not cheap, it is anti wasting and getting the your full money worth of material.

Another example:

Although I notice that with the change by Aeroshell to the red bottles, they don't seem to fit as tightly in the holes, so a bit of a balancing act to get them to stay while they drain. Still, I'm up to my 3rd "free" quart now :)

Yeah I have one of those bottle draining thig-a-ma-gigs but I got too nervous about all of the dust in the air getting into the oil. I know that oil attracts dust like stink on $hit....:D

-Marc

Another example:

I just leave each bottle drain into the engine for about 5 minutes.......

After 5 minutes upside down draining into the engine, how much more oil are you going to get out of a bottle?

I've used Pledge since 1997 after reading Mike Busch's suggestion. I bought my RV-6 in 2001 and have had zero issues using Pledge.

I’ve been using furniture polish (Pledge type) in a pressure pack can since the Wrong Bro’s first left the ground, no issues!
I lay my full oil bottles on top of my hot engine for a few mins then M/T them into the donk till it’s almost M/T. Then I Place them inverted again on the hot engine with lid on for a while then release the cap and the ‘drained’ oil runs out freely, I probably miss out on Half an eg cup of oil with this method and I sleep like a baby not worrying about it:D

I just leave each bottle drain into the engine for about 5 minutes.......

After 5 minutes upside down draining into the engine, how much more oil are you going to get out of a bottle?

.. 3 cc's . . . .maybe more (5-8) if it is cool.

I am too cheap to buy the BoB so I just make an angle cut on the first two qt bottles then drain into them. Yes - One has to mind the dust thing - lots of dust around airports and breezes to help. 10-15 min usually makes me happy.

Last edited:
I’ve been using furniture polish (Pledge type) in a pressure pack can since the Wrong Bro’s first left the ground, no issues!
I lay my full oil bottles on top of my hot engine for a few mins then M/T them into the donk till it’s almost M/T. Then I Place them inverted again on the hot engine with lid on for a while then release the cap and the ‘drained’ oil runs out freely, I probably miss out on Half an eg cup of oil with this method and I sleep like a baby not worrying about it:D

thought that's standard practice.

BOB

Another example:

That's kinda cool. I just have a funnel in a big oil container. Saved oil goes into my 4x4. Oil comes out about as fast as it gies in.:D

I've used Lemon Pledge on my Champ for many years - smells good and works with no ill effects, but I switched to Plexus for the RV. Maybe I should reconsider Pledge for the RV.

Another example:

I'm so cheap I drain my oil cans too. But I went one better and talked a friend into making me a rack out of sheet metal... It holds any bottle that has the same rectangular dimensions as the Shell bottles, or smaller. Almost my first free quart already! I'll see if I can find a photo...

A little dawn dish soap in a pail of water and an old T-shirt works well for canopy. But, the Rain-X "Plastic" is about half the cost of Plexus and good to take on the road.

For oil changes I just lean the quart oil bottles up neck-to-neck against the hangar door and let that last little bit drain into the first empty.

After a couple of oil changes, I've saved enough oil for the top-up between oil changes.

My one splurge is a product called "Bug Slide". I use it on the leading edges after (almost) every flight.

https://www.amazon.com/BugSlide-Cle...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:
I get the free with purchas lights, head lamp, micro towels. From harbor freight whenever avalible. Just get a $.99 whatever at the moment. Must have a dozen of everything by now but can always use another pack of towels. I hate doing laundry. Lol

RD

Avgas

Avgas for cleaning engine, avgas for cleaning hands, avgas for cleaning windshield, and finally avgas for termites and ants.

Being cheap makes one swell with pride.

Wanted, windshield for my rv-12 and some cream for this rash on my hands.....

still using my original spark plug copper gaskets, annealed on a hot plate. I just can't stand waste.

Plexiglass cleaner

I get my plexiglass cleaner from the local motorcycle shop at a fraction of the cost of specialty airplane plexiglass cleaner, I am not really cheap, I would rather spend the savings on now expensive av-gas.

RV 6A
RV 6 regrettably sold

Back