What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2021. RV15?

I cant see an electric airplane being feasible or practical at this time. For one thing, my hangar barely has enough electricity to run my compressor, forget about trying to charge a airplane. second, there are only 3 airports within a electric airplane's range. and I can literally walk back home in the time it will take to charge a plane with the power available at those airports.

Heck, we cant even figure out how to make an unleaded avgas after 30 years of unleaded autogas, so it looks like electric airplanes are 20 years behind Tesla. JMHO.
If battery technology was even remotely close to being feasible for wide scale application in General Aviation, the infrastructure necessary to support it is certainly not. I don’t pretend to know what Van’s is thinking, but I just can’t see them pushing that hard to enter such an incredibly limited market. At this time. It’s going to be the realm of niche tinkerer’s for the foreseeable future, I’m guessing.

Back