What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ipad decision

rockit

I want to use foreflight on an ipad on my knee pad while flying my 9A or an 8. I am debating between a ipad mini and ipad 9.7".
Sometimes i feel the larger one is better so i can see everything. Other times i feel the mini will take less space and will be easier to manage.
I am sure there have been past discussions on this.
Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.
Thanks.
Ravi

I used a full size iPad with ForeFlight initially and it worked ok. Then, I switched to a mini and like it much better. It is not as bulky on my leg and with the pinch to shrink or enlarge feature, I can enlarge anything I need to see better. I recommend the Mygoflight iPad holder for the mini, too. It has a magnetic knee board if you like to write things down and you can rotate the iPad as needed for access to the charging port.

I want to use foreflight on an ipad on my knee pad while flying my 9A or an 8. I am debating between a ipad mini and ipad 9.7".
Sometimes i feel the larger one is better so i can see everything. Other times i feel the mini will take less space and will be easier to manage.
Thanks.
Ravi

Mini but it really is a personal preference. I used on leg and found it was too "heads down", so RAM mount on corner brace puts it up high and Mini4 fits in the corner area out of the way getting in, out etc. YMMV

I?m currently using an iPad Air 2 but plan on moving to a mini when the next version is released (hopefully in the spring).
I would recommend if you decided you want a mini to wait till then. Currently Is starting to show its age.

Same here

Mini but it really is a personal preference. I used on leg and found it was too "heads down", so RAM mount on corner brace puts it up high and Mini4 fits in the corner area out of the way getting in, out etc. YMMV

I followed this same path. For me the mini is the winner in terms of size and utility. BUT it?s getting a bit long in the tooth, Apple hasn?t come out with a new mini, and I think the day will come when Foreflight no longer supports it. If I were buying now, I?d get a new (bigger) one.

I?m currently using an iPad Air 2 but plan on moving to a mini when the next version is released (hopefully in the spring).
I would recommend if you decided you want a mini to wait till then. Currently Is starting to show its age.

What he said!

I had a iPad 2 from way back when... apple quit support for updates and I was stuck at 9.xx It was not able to get any more apps on it so i had to get a new one.

I wanted to get the mini for its size but then i realized that the normal ipad and the ipad mini cost the same but the mini's hardware hasn't been updated in over 3 years! This is the only reason why I did not and would not buy a mini today. I actually doubt they will update it at all since the iphones have been getting bigger and bigger and are almost at the 7inch mini size by now.

I have an older mini 2 and like it. I'm waiting/hoping that Apple increases the screen size so it goes all the way to the edges of the face like they did on the iphone X. If they do that it will be perfect size! Same external dimensions but with a lot more viewable area.

I've got both a mini and an Air2 and prefer the mini in my RV-7A. What little RV-8 time I have still makes the mini more manageable for me.

Rob Reider

Thanks.
Ravi

The glare on my iPad is terrible. You can?t see the display on a sunny day.

I?ve had that problem with my mini (it?s a 4, I think...), but I got an articulating mount and since, have always been able to find an angle that will negate the glare.

Mini 4 is my favorite size.

Word on the street is that apple may not make the mini anymore, has sorta been overtaken by the plus sized phones...

I have a full size iPad in the back for my wife, and I use a mini up front. I dont have it permanently mounted and its not on a knee pad... I look at it and then just shove it in the side pocket like a paper chart. Not ideal, but I've been flying this way for years.

iPad Mini mounted on a RAM mount to the fuselage side above my left thigh in an RV7A. I wouldn?t have it any other way. Love it.

Bevan

mini

Thanks for all your feedback guys. It sounds like ipad mini is the way to go. I hope apple updates it. If not, I will buy a mini 4 wifi + cellular and start using it.

My full size ipad is mounted on the panel and I very much appreciate the large size. I might feel differently if it was resting on my thigh. Mine is an air 2 and it's anti-reflective coating is very effective. Only issue is overheating from direct sun exposure.

Larry

I had the same debate with myself and decided on the Mini 4 Cellular version.

It seems to be the perfect size, was fairly cheap (128gb cellular mini-4 used $260 off eBay) works perfectly, and it just updated to the latest iOS 12.1.1 (foreflight just sent out an e-mail saying that foreflight is fully tested and given the ok for 12.1.1) so for now, its good to go.

I did check out a 9.7" Ipad Pro briefly, and it was very nice but too large to be comfortable on my leg (mounted on knee board). It did have a very nice anti-reflective coating however, so I ended up getting a nice tempered glass anti-glare screen cover and its far better than the Pro's oem anti-glare coating.

Tazmool

I recently bought the latest iPad mini4 cellular which funny enough is about 4mm taller than previous models, I also use it in my day job at 45000' I mounted mine just near the l/h corner (in my 8) where the canopy bow is. It's not perfect with glare sometimes being a pain and it does hide some of my inst panel stuff but it's acceptable, well to me anyway :)

My full size ipad is mounted on the panel and I very much appreciate the large size. I might feel differently if it was resting on my thigh. Mine is an air 2 and it's anti-reflective coating is very effective. Only issue is overheating from direct sun exposure.

Larry

Same exact setup in my 12. RAM on the panel. Works well. But the Air 2 is getting old, and the new models are enticing with faster processors, more memory, better screens etc. But REALLY expensive with all the bells and whistles one would want.

I have the 9.7 Ipad pro mounted where the 660 used to be in this pic and love it. I especially like having IFR plates directly in front of me and large enough to read without zooming or panning. No issues with glare or visibility. I used to use it on my leg but much prefer not having to look down any longer. Hard to beat the big screen of the full size especially if your eyes need all the help they can get.

IMG_7793cropped-XL.jpg

Size matters (smaller is better)

I prefer the mini in the -8. I recently replaced my original
mini with the Mini 4. Bought a refurbished unit from Apple, and
saved a few bucks. Comes with a warranty too. Numerous anti
glare screens are available to make it more readable in the direct
sunlight.

iPad size & mount location.

I have owned and used the iPad mini in our RV6 for a few years running Garmin Pilot. About 10 months ago bought the iPad Pro and its a superior view when compared to the Mini. Running ForeFlight with ADS-B In/Out from Stratus Appareo ESGi. I prefer the view from the iPad Pro.
Mounted on a RAM mount on the left side rail. Very similar to Walt?s installation.

Back