What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder trailing edge wavy

Hi everyone, my first post here. I just picked up a partially built tail and wing kit. Most of the work looks pretty good but the trailing edge of the rudder is a little wavy. Im not sure if this is acceptable, or if it can be straightened. Ill try to upload a pic.

image.jpg1_zpscamqt1bj.jpg.html

Rudder

Welcome Mike.
Problem with posting photo?

If all the rivets are fully set I doubt you an straighten it. Some drift is allowed. I can't recall how much. Ask Vans to be certain. You can drill it apart and replace the skins and AEX wedge.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF, Mike. Pictures can sometimes make flaws look much worse, but that looks seriously wavy - was this damaged after construction by any chance? At first glance, I'd be leaning heavily towards building a new rudder.

Rudder

Welcome to VAF, Mike. Pictures can sometimes make flaws look much worse, but that looks seriously wavy - was this damaged after construction by any chance? At first glance, I'd be leaning heavily towards building a new rudder.

Agreed
It's not difficult to build.
Do a search. Lots of tips to get a nice trailing edge.

Not sure I would be happy with that. On the other hand, it will probably function fine eventually (might have to put a trim wedge somewhere). Probably easier to rebuild new than straighten.

Greg

Even if it was ok. I would build another one regardless just by looks alone. Plus it will be fun building it.

Back