What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

where to buy small pieces of Aluminum

Kaffer62

I haven't built up any extra pieces of Aluminum yet, but I need to fabricate a doubler. Where does everyone go when they need to buy such things? What type of Aluminum would I need to buy?

I have used Aircraftspruce for aluminum sheet stock before. You can buy smaller sizes which was an advantage for me. I didn't really shop around so you might be able to do better price wise.

In regards to the alloy type to use, a safe bet would be to use the alloy and temper of the base material. But I do not know your application and the specific application could affect the selection of alloy and temper.

If you want to just stock up on small sizes of various extrusions, blocks, etc, it's worth looking at ebay. The big vendors often sell off their 6061 'cutoffs' at pretty good prices. I haven't looked for 2024 sheet, but wouldn't doubt you could find that, as well.

Charlie

I haven't built up any extra pieces of Aluminum yet, but I need to fabricate a doubler. Where does everyone go when they need to buy such things? What type of Aluminum would I need to buy?

I found that Vans usually has the best prices, and shipping. A little slow on the departure, but reliable. I check "The List" for pieces close to what I need. If they don't have it there, they will cut it for you. Again, a little time.

I have had good luck with Van's, Aircraft Spruce and Wicks. I got tired of the large shipping for getting things as needed, so I ordered an assortment, .025. 032, .040, and some 063. Getting all in 2'X2' saved on the shipping costs.

Keep in mind minimum bend radii, or risk cracks, on 2024 t3. 063 is the worst!

Your geography could yield better sources.

This is FYI for all that read this post. I work part time at an avionics shop that is also an FAA authorized repair station. We fabricate and install a lot of customized solutions for various agencies and businesses. As we fabricate the different solutions, we end up with several hundred pounds (yearly) of what we call "drops" (scrap aluminum) of various thicknesses and alloys including angle stock.

The owners of the company throw this stuff out about twice a year. They allow me to donate the stuff to our local EAA chapter for the members to use however they see fit.

As a suggestion, you may want to enquire if there are any like company's near your location and just ask if they have a scrap bin that needs to be "emptied".

I have had good luck with Van's, Aircraft Spruce and Wicks. I got tired of the large shipping for getting things as needed, so I ordered an assortment, .025. 032, .040, and some 063. Getting all in 2'X2' saved on the shipping costs.

I did the same through Spruce. I wished I had ordered a piece of something thicker than .063 at the time though. One day when I am doing a large Spruce order I will add it.

I go to Industrial Metal Supply (5051 S 48th St. PHX) for 6061 angle, bar, rod, sheet. They sell by the lb. they also have a remnants area of all types of odd balls left over cuts at 1/2 the price. 2024 is not stocked. Better selections (and less $$) from the online places Vans, ACS, Wicks, etc.

Last edited:
You can also order "trim bundles" from the mother ship -- trimmings of roughly 15" x 5" sheets of 2024-T3 in various thicknesses . I've found these to be great to have around the shop to fab all sorts of stuff or practice on prior to the real thing (great to teach riveting to my willing helpers). They may not need to be the right size for your but they are cheap. I ordered 3 last time I, ahem, needed a replacement part for something I screwed up.

Back