What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting

kentuck

I'm New Here
I have done very little spray painting and zero wing painting. Before the wing is primed, is it standard practice to fill the dimples with body filler or are they left unfilled?
Harold

By dimples do you mean rivets, or smileys and other dents? If rivets, it is personal preference. I believe the majority of builders think that rivets should show on a sheet metal plane. Others prefer the smooth look. It is your plane; build it the way you want.

Most leave them unfilled. Filler adds weight, and some (myself included) think it looks kind of weird on metal airplanes.

I have done very little spray painting and zero wing painting. Before the wing is primed, is it standard practice to fill the dimples with body filler or are they left unfilled?
Harold

I knew a guy that filled every rivet with Q-tip and filler. When he was done the entire airplane looked like a Glasair. :)

It took him 7000 hours to build his RV. Yes, 7000 hours.

There is NO filler anywhere on my RV except for tips, etc. Still took a long time but not 7000 hrs.

I knew a guy that filled every rivet with Q-tip and filler. When he was done the entire airplane looked like a Glasair. :)

It took him 7000 hours to build his RV. Yes, 7000 hours.

There is NO filler anywhere on my RV except for tips, etc. Still took a long time but not 7000 hrs.

we had one up here in Fulton NY hide every rivet on the plane. but it looked nice. he painted it up in usaf ang boys from Syracuse scheme.

Be careful with filler. Good friend had that done on his 7A an its cracking and causing paint issues. IMO, no filler is better. My -10 has no filler and its a beauty.

Back