What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing steps after

VETE76

Well Known Member
I want to install my steps on my RV7 after its been flying now. How much of a pain is it going to be now?
fred

If you have a helper, it'll be a little easier, but it shouldn't be a problem.

You'll have to drill out the rivets in the baggage floor to remove it to get at the ribs and you'll need a right angle drill with a hole saw (or, failing that, a Greenlee punch) to make the holes in the ribs through which the "tube" portion goes, but it shouldn't be difficult.

Whatever marginal increase in effort compared with pre-completion is more than worth it for the result.

Lots of people basically do this anyway considering that steps occasionall crack and must be removed and repaired/replaced.

It isn't a big deal. My fuselage didn't come with steps installed so I had to do it. You just drill a few baggage area rivets out and you have the access you need. If I were to do it again, I would consider moving the steps either forward a bit or higher - even if I had to raise the baggage floor level. I followed the plans and I had to do a bunch of banging on the bottom aft corner to make it fit without a gap. I believe it stresses the weld and increases the chance of cracks.

I would suggest that you have the step reinforced after you fit them but before you mount them. You will save yourself grief later.

You might want to think about replacing all the baggage floor rivets with plate nuts. That way, if you ever have to get back there again, you won't have to drill out the rivets.

You might want to think about replacing all the baggage floor rivets with plate nuts. That way, if you ever have to get back there again, you won't have to drill out the rivets.

Good reminder. I did that in case my steps cracked later. Drilling out the pulled rivets was very easy but the plate nuts are even easier.

I did this, there are a LOT of plate nuts to install. best done on the bench during construction

WELL it was rather easy! started sat morning for about 2 hrs, came back sun for 3 and the steps look great. it was probably one of the easiest parts of building the RV. vans had put a ref hole in the side skin and a hole in the 2nd floor rib for the 2nd 1.5" hole. perfect line up! an amazing kit!! makes for easier access to the cockpit for old criple folks like me.
fred

Did you leave the steps the stock length? Some have suggested that shortening them by 2" helps with clearance in taller grass.

I personally would think twice before installing nutplates. In the amount of time to purchase and intall the nutplates I can drill out the pull rivets many times over and have time to vacuum all of the butts up. In the life of your aircraft I doubt you have to go back into that area after you install the steps. Now if you have some sort of electrical component under the floor this is a different story for the need to put nutplates.

Just my opinion.

Did you leave the steps the stock length? Some have suggested that shortening them by 2" helps with clearance in taller grass.

no i didn't. if grass is that high I wouldn't be landing in it.

1st impression of the steps, not user friendly at all! almost impossible to start with right foot on step then hitting anti slip tape on the wing. nless you weight 150# or so. fat people, we have no chance of hitting it. only bennifit at all was 2 fold! much easier on bad knees for getting on and off. 2nd, its a great shin scraper!!

Back