What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

purchase dyn prop balancing? (kvny/kbur/kwhp)

iaw4

Well Known Member
we have a nice vans rv-6a with a nice hartzell prop. alas, been a while since it was balanced.

how often should a prop by dynamically balanced?

would it be worthwhile to buy the equipment and split the cost with a couple of other interested parties in the LA Valley?

or does someone in our area have the equipment and want to recover some of the investment (we would of course pay)?

advice appreciated.

Our EAA chapter near Hillsboro OR bought a prop balancer, and several members got trained on its use. A nice benefit of being a chapter member, maybe your chapter or RV group could do something similar.

KWHP Prop Balancer

Ivo . . . Ed Holyoke, one row over from you at KWHP and who I believe you know, has a prop balancer.

(I would be surprised if Ed already had one --- Ed has helped us a great deal over the years.)

We went to Gillespie down in San Diego over the weekend. Scott has a high-end analyzer, and got us down to 0.03. Wow! I am enclosing our Dynavibe output.

Scott is also one of the nicest chap in the world, plus he has some of the nicest airplanes I have seen --- spotless. it's so clean, I think one could eat cake that was put onto his engine or airplane without worry of getting sick. beautiful pieces of work.

so if any of you are thinking about doing this, I can only recommend him---despite his funny frogman208 vansairforce.net call sign ;-).

Attachments

• share-79.png
    share-79.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 119
We used the simpler (i.e., cheaper) Dynavibe on a bunch of planes, and got them all down to quite small values for ips (mine is between 0.0 and 0.2 :) ), but I'd love to see the transform plot of peaks at each frequency someday (just not willing to shell out the 3K or so to get the more expensive equipment LOL!).

But it brings a couple of interesting questions to mind: what parts are associated with each peak? e.g., which ones are crankshaft (the big one, obviously), accessories, alternator, what have you? And...are there any items that can be balanced independently, other than just the complete rotating system via weights on the flywheel? (I doubt it, but hey...you never know unless you ask!).

Back