What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AP Servo install

BOHICA

Well Known Member
Getting close to putting the top skins on my aft fuselage (Section 10). Was wondering if folks have installed the AP servos before they put those skins on? Basically jump to section 56 and do some of that section to avoid riveting in cramped spaces to get servo mounts in, or is there a reason to wait?

I don’t believe there is any riveting involved in the pitch servo install. It bolts in rather easily and there is easy access from the baggage area. You will need to get back there anyway for your annual condition inspections to Lube rod ends and inspect wires so get used to it.

Getting close to putting the top skins on my aft fuselage (Section 10). Was wondering if folks have installed the AP servos before they put those skins on? Basically jump to section 56 and do some of that section to avoid riveting in cramped spaces to get servo mounts in, or is there a reason to wait?

No need - Plenty of access post assembly. Now the roll servo is a different story. I waited until final assembly which made things a bit more challenging had I installed during assembly.

No need - Plenty of access post assembly. Now the roll servo is a different story. I waited until final assembly which made things a bit more challenging had I installed during assembly.

Agree. You should install the roll AP servo while the wings are off in a wind stand. I rigged the ailerons with the servo in the stand and when I put the wings on the fuselage I didn’t need to touch anything.

I’m about ready to rivet the bottom outboard wing skins. Would it be somewhat easy to install the roll servo through the access door? Servos are “back ordered.” My pitot tube should be here any day and after I have it in………

Or, shall I store the wing unfinished for a while?

I would finish the wings, it's certainly do-able thru the inspection hole. Might take a few minutes longer but at least your wings are done.

I install all that stuff (AP, ELT, wiring, Static syst) with the top skins off. At least get it all rigged. Then I take it out for the riveting to give me more room.

Back