What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improving rough-field landings in an RV-8

tentoes

Hi I am still just making airplane noises in the bathroom but I wondered if one might simply use larger diameter tires/wheels on an RV-8 to improve its rough-field capabilities?

I would guess that that idea has come up before and furthermore sure that there are some downsides to doing so.

Any opinions are appreciated!

There are several threads here on VAF about using the 380-150x5.00 tires, which are the largest size tires that fit on the standard 5" wheels. I have these and I am very happy with how much they improve the handling and feel on dirt/sand/grass.

They fit with only minor modifications to the standard wheel fairings. I mounted my wheel fairings a 1/2" higher than the guidance in the plans, and this created the needed room. In doing so, there was interference between the wheel fairing and the brake caliper, which required a cut-out and a "blister fairing" over the cut-out. I have the mold for those blister fairings (wheel pant bulge) and they are sold through HP Aircraft LLC (an advertiser here on VAF) for $45 a pair. The larger tire also requires a larger opening in the wheel fairing, of course. I think I might have lost 1 kt of cruise speed. Here is a picture of the 380-150-5.00 tire with my wheel fairing and blister fairing:

wheelpantbulge.jpg

Last edited:
Cool to see that not a super great deal was needed to do to fit them in the wheel pants. Thanks for the opinion!!

Bigfoot Sighting

Along with our aluminum airfoil gear legs, we offer carbon fiber wheel fairings for "full-size" 6.00-6 tires. Matco and Beringer offer 6 inch wheels & brakes are compatible with the 1 1/4 inch axles that are used on RV-8.

Contact us via the website if interested.

Attachments

• sky designs fairing-1.jpg
    sky designs fairing-1.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 131
  • sky designs fairing-2.jpg
    sky designs fairing-2.jpg
    490.1 KB · Views: 116
  • RV-8 side view comparison-lo res.jpg
    RV-8 side view comparison-lo res.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 168
Back