What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert 14 fuselage kit to 14A

strangebru

I have a chance to buy a partially built 14 (tail dragger) kit but I'm building a 14A. Does anyone know what it would take to convert a 14 fuselage kit into a 14A...am I looking at a lot of new parts (e.g. does the fuselage kit come with landing gear? or the engine mount?). Maybe someone can PM me or email the inventory list for a 14A. Help is appreciated :)

There's two holes you need to cut for the -14A landing gear. The engine mounts and landing gear are in the finishing kit.

It's worth getting the digital plans and taking a look through them. All the differences are clearly marked between the taildragger and tricycle models.

Maybe this is a sign that you should be building a tailwheel instead of a nosewheel? :)
2 knots faster, $2000 more in insurance and harder handling on the ground, did I get this right?

To the Ops question.
There are two holes for the gear leg to be cut at the bottom of the fues which is fairly easy and straight forward. You might need to replace the small skin at the bottom of the tail where taildragger wheel gets attached. Again, it is a small part and fairly easy to do.

My friend build a taildragger 14 and we had been pocking fun at each other (mine is a 14A) throughout his build. He had been flying taildraggers for longer than I have been flying but with age , I'm quite sure he regrets the decision now. He put over 10 hours with me in mine and quickly got the feel for it. The 14 is giving him grief getting the landings satisfactory. I've been with him and they are all safe and nothing close to loosing control just not as smooth as he would like. When the weather breaks he plans on seeking help from an instructor.

Two words for your friend: “Wheel Landings”.

I think taildraggers handle better on the ground. We can do doughnuts. Sometimes that is a problem if not intentional.

Never mind the cool factor….not mentioning that.

Since the question is if it is difficult to change from tg to nw, no it isnt. I did it in my 9A. I did not remove the tw interior hardware and use it for a great tie down point.

You will need a new motor mount and gear. You can easily sell the tw equipment to one of the far superior pilots in their own mind, tw builders.

Other than most likely having to install steps, that is about it. Vans had a complete kit of parts already put together.

Build the plane you want from the gear to the paint. PM me if you want and we can compare the plans.

Have fun!

I don't know if this is because I've purchased the digital plans, or if it's because I have purchased 14 kits, but the digital plans are available under my store account at Van's.

You'll have to go through the process of account creation on the store and then associating an aircraft with your account. Sorry, I don't remember how to do that exactly, but if I figured it out, literally anyone can.

As always, YMMV.

Edit: looks like there is a giant "Add Aircraft" button to the right in that image. Likely I did it that way...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 9.41.13 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-02-28 at 9.41.13 AM.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
So I called Vans yesterday and talked to one of the tech guys (thanks Vans!), he didn't think it would be a problem, cut the hole for the mains, need to buy part U-01402 and the 14A steps and I'm good to go (I am only buying the fuselage kit).

I was thinking what Snowflake thought...maybe the airplane goddess was pushing me toward a tail dragger (my empennage kit is also for a 14) but I have to agree with Bavafa and RonB...risk and insurance aren't worth it for me plus I have zero tail dragger time. I did go online and download the digital plans (very helpful).

Going out to buy the fuselage kit today from a private party...pretty excited. Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, but different deck - I'm buying an un-started empennage kit from a stalled build 14A but want it to be a 14. Is there any difference in the empennage kit between the two? :confused:

All the rest will be 14 when I order the wings and fuselage in two weeks time (once I collect the empennage kit and assume the build number etc).

I have found the difference in insurance is 100 to 200 a year once you have 100 hours in type. I have also found that there is at least for me a greater enjoyment in pulling off a perfect wheel landing or a 3 point on the numbers than a tri gear aircraft. As a small aside you also retain steering if you have a brake failure.

Last edited:
I have found the difference in insurance is 100 to 200 a year once you have 100 hours in type. I have also found that there is at least for me a greater enjoyment in pulling off a perfect wheel landing or a 3 point on the numbers than a tri gear aircraft. As a small aside you also retain steering if you have a brake failure.
The only time I use brake for steering is at a very very low speed when the rudder is not effective for steering, at which point I wouldn't be flying if I have a failed brake.
The only objective advantage to a tail dragger is for off field landing and a couple of knots faster, the rest is all based on personal choice.

I am much more pragmatic in my choices and can't ever see a tail dragger in my future unless someone gives it to me for free.

I'm in the same boat, but different deck - I'm buying an un-started empennage kit from a stalled build 14A but want it to be a 14. Is there any difference in the empennage kit between the two? :confused:

There is a difference. They are mostly the same, but the tail dragger will obviously have hardware for a tailwheel where the tri-gear has hardware for a tie down hook. Also, the aft bottom skin is modified for the tail wheel mounting, but that's a builder mod that must be done.

Unfortunately, chap 10_14 is not available as a revision here, otherwise you could see for yourself.

I'm sure Van's can hook you up with what you need once you get to that point. It shouldn't cost too much to make the switch.

Dumb question

Please excuse a question from an 8A builder. I have no experience with the 14. It's also the only model I don't have plans and drawings for. Does the 14A main landing gear mount into a weldment which mounts to the front of the main spar center section? If so, then for MSR, there are probably some large rivets you will need to set. The earlier A models all bolt that landing gear weldment to the front of the main spar center section, so those rivet holes are left empty.
For the original poster, those same rivets would need to be removed.

Last edited:
14A to 14 empennage

Is there any difference in the empennage kit between the two?

From what I can tell in the plans (Section 10), looks like you just need part U-00018 and possibly some shim parts F-14129B and F-14129D with a couple of N4-6A's

I happen to have the 14 empennage too....Vans said the simplest way to convert the 14 empennage to a 14A was to weld the tail hook to an appropriate size tube and slide into the tail dragger tube.

Thanks for the responses team; I had a look on the WIKI (what an amazing resource!) and after looking through the plans it seems that the addition of U-00018 and some fiddling will get the empennage sorted, then its just a matter of ensuring I order the -14 specific kit for the rest of the aircraft.

Thanks all, a great help to a newby! :)

Back