What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing gear bracket

Mark Jackson

Patron
The outboard landing gear attach bracket for my right gear is ever so slightly bent. The result is that I can't get bolts to go through the bracket and the wear plate. Given the bracket is pretty stout, and anyone suggest a method of straightening it out?

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 126
It is actually not very stout. The 1/4" thick portion is pretty easy to bend.

Pay close attention to the install instructions. The base of the big blocks are to be filed off so that they do not contact the wear plate when the bolts are tightened. because of that small gap, it is easy to bend the bracket by over-torquing the bolts.

I think it’s supposed to be that way to conform to the contour of the fuze onto which it bolts. I think the part you’re referring is U-805-1 outboard wear plate. See Dwg 75 & 8-43. It was many moons since I did that so a quick call or email to Vans should answer your question. Definitely wouldn’t bend it until talking to them.

Gear bracket

Pretty sure the bolts are installed the other direction...which MIGHT allow them to fit OK.

Back