What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prime rudder trailing edge wedge?

Aaron C

I'm New Here
I have been priming the interior parts as I go, but I don't know if I should prime the rudder trailing edge wedge before applying the fuel tank sealant to it. I know that if I prime and then clean the part how they say, then it will rub the primer off. Should I clean it and then prime and then apply the fuel tank sealant, or just forget about the priming all together?

Just a data point: I didn't prime the wedge or the TE skins along the line it mates to.
In my mind you get better adhesion with pro-seal to bare metal, and the pro-seal locks out the electrolyte (moisture) needed for corrosion.
In the mind of someone who really knows what they are talking about, this theory may be all wrong...

This may be a bit anal but I masked the wedge face and primed the rear exposed section so the proseal would adhere to the face better. I can hear the no primer guys laughing their tales off as we speak.

Just wondering the same thing...

Hi Aaron,
Nice to see you on the forum. I'm getting close to that same step and was wondering about it myself.
Mike near Deadwood.

Prime Trailing Edge Wedge

I actually just primed it without considering the adhesion issue since it is only intended to provide a temporary bond during riveting. Any suggestions about what to do now? Will it be ok if I continue with it primed with AKZO?

I didn?t prime. I gooped mine up pretty good with ProSeal. If it lasts 50 years before it wafts away as Aluminum Oxide, it?ll be someone else?s problem. :)

VHB in place of pro-seal

have you tried joining the trailing edge with VHB tape for rivetting ? The tape remains in place....

No primer

Best if not primed but if primed scuff with an agressive sand paper like 80 grit.

Back