What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio auto pilot

almarsh

Well Known Member
Have trio pro pilot but can't seem to get it to function properly have talked to tech support they are great people but I have not got this thing able to use to its full potential,sure could use anyone's help that has one that's near me . At this point I haven't really used it to its ability for the lack of my knowledge and frustration to set all its option up. Willing to fly to anyone that can actually help set it up. I need help please thanks located at 3Gv. Or call 816-260-5884

I've had same problem! sent to factory, reinstalled it, same problem. then the display light went out. my advice, sell it, buy some other brand. they r very nice helpful people. didn't make the unit work after all there great help and concern.
fred

I have had my Trio EZ-Pilot for more than 10yrs and it has been AWESOME!!! I am actually looking into upgrading to the Pro-Pilot version in the near future.

Knowing what I know of the system I would imagine the problem most likely is in the installation or the configuration. Too bad I am so far away from you or I would be more than happy to help you out.

:cool:

Last edited:
I have had my Trio EZ-Pilot for more than 10yrs and it has been AWESOME!!! I am actually looking into upgrading to the Pro-Pilot version in the near future.

Knowing what I know of the system I would imagine the problem most likely is in the installation or the configuration. Too bad I am so far away from you or I would be more than happy to help you out.

:cool:

I like my EZ pilot and it is about the same age as your with same experience. IF I had the money, I would have purchased the 2-axis one advertised here last week to upgrade to altitude hold.

Trio Pro, flies the -10 like it?s on rails, including approaches. But there is a fair amount of fine-tuning all the settings to get it that way.

My pro pilot works great, easy to talk with and willing to help.
It listens to my GTN650 and flies approaches.

To the OP:
1. You’ll get more responses if you post somewhere other than the ‘for sale’ sub-catagory.

[thread moved to General Discussion sub-forum; S. Buchanan]

2. Your bio says RV-10? If so, copy down all of your settings (there are a lot, I know) and email them to me <bobturner at alum dot rpi dot edu> and I’d be happy to compare them, line by line, with mine. They shouldn’t be very different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Happy Trio user

The Trio Pro-Pilot in my RV-10 has been rock solid.
It did take some in-flight time to set the gains up correctly.

The best thing I did was to take the downloaded PDF instruction manual with me on long flights so I could try the different gain settings in flight.

Now that it is dialled in,it flies Rnavs like it is on rails with beautiful Rate 1 turns all the way down to the MDA. Turbulence and heavy rain are handled easily. I disconnect the Vnav if in severe turbulence.
I aspire to fly half as good as my Trio.:)

The auto trim feature is great on departures when you are busy with the ATC however if there are rapid speed changes ,it cannot keep up.

So I would recommend to take the set up instructions and a safety pilot on a flight and spend some time to set up the gains and you will be rewarded with what I consider the best $3000.00 I have spent on this aircraft.
I do like the integration of the latest Dynon/Garmin auto pilots,but as a stand alone independent unit,it would be hard to beat.

NpsZqz9tmY3I2KcTEoAI-TAtSGgKNBCpDSIBcJ5HtdmGD-O9u29EHFN0yNysyTtEFR8ajU8CTm7ko3y1dQuOc7b7ttlujNAszn59-VXZmfsOqbOXblKVOIG2DrCzGhaz9L1m_8dMU6ZCojgTCA6rOMFdP1KmC3NOFKrYPoe7zBd0lj1CsSJTT2k6NOG0nMI62CpgPItrYlsoHQGRZUNv8-gQE7f0Iqtenc8JOJC9DvScdbO8v0BDw026lP-tF3JV1CO7LAENF8Z_7UsrjXdjwKiZ436YS1gO3xb6wy-IvZD3LcHib-w0WN-qooJGOX8wZRS8qQoDjq8suUvX2af6qoxifYkfXLXrB549ZjhmK2P9pItieT4GWTtWBmde0u6XT8jv5_sH65i1gocZx2Ml3kHOtAbnaAPI81npl496R9-P7pL-Tio5fASt9Q1w3wcimfMVs2GrirpJHpC8RTGJbmXiHZt60QoLODmLWCbS3FkBAuDI3uetzHV3PVhUO55IfNmUYoMOAWKDyEq1DKYDcXtZHG3k22c0V7Zd0ATStAFV2k1l198UzWgGu81EFbcrTBFsjHOnnJWPrbkHcPlHgHpbqmv1EW-9VWMaVqVqXmlR_6dT7wjTQCueKA521MICGzMdpHVmr7tAdt8Ctcxs0mpIZ9V-BWgF1A=w813-h609-no

X1kn7j00slRguJrasB5dO6PIdyZVOrIdl_KDjTezm7kzi-N8jryRQEeQT6l1zwwCk-I5ii5qhou4K8_3n7UkqZKoV9t_ckNFweGMUqqYxQZkrwYzjoB2sRL7oZM7qjEPNC7uB8Z17PptjBbxRzqpc1qyCgpn92pojT7y28TYjebjoLktk1ODkK0Lc1e934ChBXxSZ18Dz5iVdNb0SZjbZVvoOOJbzfPbv63zzCQqUgCSPY2Sc_nAlcgkePOToZIRMACdZAQRyr80JmT7FhtXBRaRjrjw0AlNgRIZJhkYP61NLILr1cqB6ICSg_UqqlBh1tk5_W-DsJykzb6f6LNTSZdtNqU2V1qFBMS8fLYI-ash8JAxse4UUpAoGdR1MRVE4UTVm4BNvSq741UCBjYceuGu-EnJFxzquT4rpnzYLoTdJO8xRT2fQef1BqZdzgiD-PypIHisJmw228MH-2Er9eAMO8Lga4Rbv1cKAcnVKbleiTwGKzqEGkx4zc17_ENpB4g4J-Qm-52GTymfiNFkS6CZSJtbzhBdjmSqyyyvs1xHsGEK5xZiPYo4IDNisjLPH5w0H1126KUqT5kqy1k95zQzLjqatqdwmbcv9c1kL4kemoqQwle6sjbQJe7uKmQCLXiHHf00vGPwdVOyv2zXNPUYDALBV4WNeg=w813-h609-no

Last edited:
The auto trim feature is great on departures when you are busy with the ATC however if there are rapid speed changes ,it cannot keep up.

I do like the integration of the latest Dynon/Garmin auto pilots,but as a stand alone independent unit,it would be hard to beat.

The auto trim speed is programable as a function of airspeed (fast trim at low airspeed, slow trim at high airspeed). You can use the Trio for pitch trim even when the servos aren?t engaged.
The Trio integrates perfectly with the GRT HX series, giving you full control thru the EFIS or, by throwing one switch, stand-alone operation in case the efis fails.

Back