What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Sealing

ethand

Well Known Member
I am 8 hours or so into my Phase 1 and witnessed high oil temps on my second flight. I realized the sides of the oil cooler were not sealed well to the oil cooler box assembly and put in a temp fix with cork gasket to fill the gap (up to1/4" in some places).

What did others use to permanently fix this issue and fill the gap?

Thanks
E

High temp RTV is a good filler for that application. Pull off the SCAT, reach down inside the box and put a piece of blue masking tape on the inside of wherever you need to seal, squirt RTV in from the outside to fill the gap. Pull the masking tape a few hours later.

Thanks Kyle, just seems the gap is pretty big for just RTV?

We are talking maybe 1/4" in some places, but then again it would kill all the little crevices

E

RTV will bridge a 1/4" gap pretty well if the bead you apply is thick enough. Layer it on 3/16 or 1/4" deep.

Even if I'm completely wrong, you're only out a few minutes of time and an $8 tube of RTV. ;-)

PS - get the black high temp Locktite 598. It is oil resistant and looks tons better than the orange version.

I use self adhesive weatherstripping from the aviation department of the big box stores. Comes in all widths and thicknesses. Just did it to my Rocket tonight, in fact.

Oil cooler

Well this thread popped up at the right time. I'm thru my phase one but recently since the hot weather kicked in, I'm seeing some higher then I like oil temps. I did not seal the oil cooler the the mount at all on install. So in the next couple days I will be pulling the cowl and doing some sealing.

Back