What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel line supply and return routing

AdamB

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm currently routing my flex fuel lines out to the side skin area and looking at where I should drill a 2nd hole in the side skins.
I have a standard setup where the brake lines are in the middle, supply line forward, and return line in the aft as they go through the systems bracket under the seats.
Tom had advised to go as straight as possible to line up with where they go through the systems brackets, but the gear weldment is partially in the way. The other factor is that I placed my return fuel bung on my tank just forward of the vent and not inline with the supply.

So what I was thinking is one of two things.
1) Drill a hole forward of the hole of the aileron control connection hole sort of vertically inline with the stock fuel line hole and route the supply through it, and the return through the stock hole.
Or
2) Drill a hole aft of the aileron control connection hole and higher than the stock fuel line hole.

I've roughly marked the 2 proposed locations in the picture below:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/hhZDxqRoxvqdqsnF7

Also a Picture of my fuel return location on the tank for reference.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cF4iNrE9Hi7k94g1A

Wanted to get others take on what the best option might be or things I might not have considered before I start drilling holes.

Thanks!

I?m still figuring everything out with respect to his as well. I did find moving the brake line to the back gave me more flexibility with respect to the fuel line. I know one builder that brought both fuel lines out of the hole that is already there as one length. I haven?t heard how that has worked out for him yet though. I?m thinking about emulating him.

On question, with the return fitting there, are you able to route the line so that it doesn?t interfere with the aileron assembly once they are in place?

I?m still figuring everything out with respect to his as well. I did find moving the brake line to the back gave me more flexibility with respect to the fuel line. I know one builder that brought both fuel lines out of the hole that is already there as one length. I haven?t heard how that has worked out for him yet though. I?m thinking about emulating him.

On question, with the return fitting there, are you able to route the line so that it doesn?t interfere with the aileron assembly once they are in place?

That is a good question. When I was looking at it I had the same concern.
I?m also slightly concerned that the hose I have is the same length as the supply
And might not reach where I?ve currently got the return. So in the end, I?m somewhat thinking I should maybe cap the current return and add another one more in line with the supply.

Just wondering why you would need a return line on a standard RV10?

Sorry by standard I meant per plans locations for brake and fuel lines vs. what a few others have done where the brake lines are the aft-most line.

I?m planning an SDS EFII setup.

Whatever you end up doing, post how it works out. I'm basically doing the same setup but haven't run the lines yet. Figured I would be working the details out on it in the next few months.

You can check my blog for pictures, but you can put the return line kind of anywhere it doesn't interfere with the aileron torque tube. I have Tom's lines and routed them out the same hole (just fit with a rubber grommet). I did have him put a 45* fitting on the return line and a 90* on the supply. Worked great.

Adam and all---With use with a duplex system, SDS or EFii, there is already a hole in the side skin for the 'stock' line for the fuel line exit. It aligns with the tunnel bulkhead fittings. The return line is the aft line--and can be near the first one. Its posiition isnt critical. The hoses we supply allow the routing to the tanks to clear the aileron controls. The return port (we think) should be above the supply port, near the top of the rib, within reason.

So picture where the original hole is , and move up, and depening on how your port will be----either with a bulkhead fitting, or a rivet on port, keep sufficient edge distance.

YES----we will be revising this. Plans are to make a full scale mockup early next year.

Tom

You can check my blog for pictures, but you can put the return line kind of anywhere it doesn't interfere with the aileron torque tube. I have Tom's lines and routed them out the same hole (just fit with a rubber grommet). I did have him put a 45* fitting on the return line and a 90* on the supply. Worked great.

Thanks, Tim.

Are you concerned with the lines rubbing against each other at all with vibration? looks like a pretty tight fit, so they probably won't move much..

Also: Looks like you ended up putting your return pretty close to where mine ended up, so that's encouraging.

Last edited:
Whatever you end up doing, post how it works out. I'm basically doing the same setup but haven't run the lines yet. Figured I would be working the details out on it in the next few months.

So obviously I have a long way to go before I install or even test fit my wings, but after looking at some of Bob's photos on his kitlog site I decided to install the return just above and slightly behind the supply as shown below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YJLRa8UiVuizogSp6

Putting it more forward (forward of the hole for the controls) risks interference with the aileron controls and possibly the tank attach bracket of the tank.

Below is Bob's image showing the area between the tank and the fuse.
The red arrow is appox. where my fuel return is mounted on the tank. It's pretty close to a straight shot from the fuse to the fitting.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mG5ufvWCEzsfQDaLA

Probably won't know how this works until much later in the build.

Back