What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light lens & professional painting ? mask or remove

John-G

Well Known Member
I originally posted this in the general forum yesterday, but received no replies so hoping a few RV-12 builders will provide feedback. I'm at a point a decision must be made so your input is valued.

A question for those of you who have installed a landing light prior to having a professional paint your aircraft. Has your painter required the landing light lens be removed prior to painting, or have they just carefully masked around it?

I have one of the newer style landing light lens that is way way thicker than the older lens supplied in earlier RV-12 lighting kits. As such, it is really tough to flex it enough not to have the lens scrape the opening as it is slid into the wing cutout.

If the consensus is painters generally mask the lenses for painting, I will permanently install the lens now while access is still good. I'm at the point of closing out the wing so, installing the lens now before riveting the landing light ribs in place would be easier and a lot less stress on the lens and me.

Thanks in advance for the replies,

John
RV-12 left wing almost completed
Dues paid until summer
www.dogaviation.com

John,
It is my opinion that any painter (professional or otherwise) that masks around something like a removable part like a landing light lens is taking a short cut.

Not saying that a lot of painters don't, but not removing a L.L. lens is being done in the interest of saving some time; not following what is best practice.

Paint lens too

When Capt. Dan painted my RV-9A, he removed the lense to paint the wing tip. He also painted the interior surface of the lens around the edge where it joins against the wing tip (about a 1/2 inch wide stripe). He said this avoids seeing any scratching that may occur on the mating surfaces. Looks great!

-rob

RV-9A N716AR
98 hrs on the hobbs

I just had my RV-10 painted. The Duckwork lens was masked on the outside. With that said, there is overspray on the inside of the lens. I suspect it came from spraying the rib on the end of the wing.

Probably not a big deal, but it bugs the heck out of me. I've already got replacement lens ready to install once I run out of things to do in prepping for Phase I.

bob

Best to discuss with your painter. Mine removed the lens and light to paint the lamp mounting brackets the same color as wings. He also made my cut out edges smoother than I had done.

I removed mine prior to taking to the paint shop. The painter taped around the light inside the wing and didn't have to worry about the lens. I would do it again the same way. IMHO

John,
It is my opinion that any painter (professional or otherwise) that masks around something like a removable part like a landing light lens is taking a short cut.

I agree, it is a shortcut. Also, as Bob mentioned, there is a very good chance that the lens will have some paint on the inside when you are done. Plastic frequently has a static charge that will attract overspray.

John Clark ATP, CFI
Aviator & Gearhead
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thanks

Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction ? will keep the lens off as suggested and move on to finish the wing closeout.

John

Thanks to all for steering me in the right direction ? will keep the lens off as suggested and move on to finish the wing closeout.

John

So... that means you'll have to paint the plane (or at least the wings) before you can fly it?

So... that means you'll have to paint the plane (or at least the wings) before you can fly it?

No, the lens is fastened with 8 screws. If the lens is trimmed it is not that hard to get it in or out. Protect it with some tape during installation to prevent scratches from the dimpled skin.

40-02+step1.JPG

Back