What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A Interior/Panel Do's and Dont's?

taverroi

Well Known Member
Ok guys. I just bought the long sought after RV8A that I've always wanted. After 1 RV7A and 2 RV6A's I have worked my way to the coveted 8A.

With that being said I need to hear some real wisdom from other or past owner/builder/upgraders. What things should i consider on doing to it inside the cockpit and do's and dont's on my panel upgrade. Instruments to leave or let go. Things I should have or options to install that I would just not generally think of. Good ideas or just cool things to add.

I'm in the mood and I want to just do something!!!

Let it rip!!

Carpet,Side Panels,Canopy Latch for solo flying..

I traded my RV7A for a RV8A about 6 months ago. Added new carpet from Flightlines and thinking about ordering the side panels soon. You might consider a Mike Zeller canopy latch so it can be reach when solo.

Instruments: Dynon SkyView system and backup steam gauges for airspeed and altimeter only.

Stereo intercom (PM3000 or better) if not already equipped.

2-axis autopilot coupled to GPS.

It would help if we knew what was already onboard as a starting point.

Give us at least a hint on what you want the panel to be capable of....day VFR or Cat III approaches? ;)

Okie Dokie. Lets see.

Mike Zeller Canopy Latch. Im on it. Where do I get one and what do you mean about being able to open the canopy solo?

Why only airspeed and Altimeter for steam back ups. What about an Attitude reference? So you love the Skyview. I've studied it hard. It is very nice. But I think I want HITS (Highway in the sky)

My Panel has the following:
Garmin 420
Garmin SL30
PMA Audio with Music input
Garmin GTX 327 Transponder
Full set (like 8 or 9 gauges) of vans engine gauges
TruTrac Digiflight II VS with alt hold.
Steam Gauges: AS, ALT, VS, TruTrac ADI (attitude), wet compass.
Two axis elec trim

I am going to upgrade (I think) to the New GRT Horizon HXr. I vasilate on the back ups..how many to leave or keep with the new glass or scrap them all together and put a Dynon D6 or D10A in there place.

Keep it coming. Im soaking it all up.

Tim

There's so little room that it might be worth waiting until next year for the TT Gemini 780 and merge adi/ap/backup efis into one instrument. But I guess the HXr rolls all that up too.

Have a vertical twin GRT sport (copied Paul's original format) and still have the right side of the panel open for some future ipad/tablet/garmin whatever. Glass feature and function evolve so quickly now the sport seems dated, and it really is overkill for weekend tooling around.

And I must be old fashioned because all I really want most of the time is a steam airspeed right in front of me. Just don't like looking at the efis for it.

Paul did have a trick where he put the GRT EIS vertical on the floor. If it's needed for the HXr, probably need that room.

Don't do anything on the panel. What is wrong with it and how will the upgrade make flying safer/more enjoyable?

Yea, I see your points.

Nothing really wrong with the panel. Its not really layed out or thought out very well. The garmin stack is dead center, all vans gauges to the left of center and back up and AP all right of center.

I've never really liked the Van's gauges look if you know what I mean. Ive flown behind glass in two of my RV's and could'nt get enough of it. This plane is nicely set up but I just thought I wanted to "do something'".

Ive wanted and RV8A so long and now that I've got one so....well...you know.

Might be safer in that the upgrade would have ADSB weather and traffic, Synth vision, and HITS(for approaches). But I dont think more enjoyable..I'm all about the view from looking outside so I'll give you that.

It would be difficult to hold out for TT Gemini 780 as I'm dieing to change something. I do apprieciate the thought David-Aviator has..dont add but remove all accept essentials for flight. I've heard that from a few older pilots..Thats experience and wisdom. However, being a gadget guy..somethin's got to change.

I'm working on the Zeller canopy latch and will think about leaving things alone for a bit and just fly it...maybe I'll settle down a bit...will probably save me a ton of money too.

Thanks for all the input...decisions...decisions

Tango

STORAGE

Storage pockets. You need storage for maps, sunshades, etc. If the plane didn't come with plenty of these, then consider it for the interior upgrade.

Chris

Got it. Storage and of course a sun shade. Cant believe I had'nt thought of that.

Found some cool photos of the side panels being made into them..left and right of the front seat. This will be done.

Note to self: Order Kroger SunShade for RV8A. Thanks

Tango

Back