What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Push Button Starter

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So, for those of you that have a push button starter, what are you doing about a keylock? Is there a keylock without a L/R Magento option? Are you wiring up switches for L/R magentos??

So, for those of you that have a push button starter, what are you doing about a keylock?

1. Is there a keylock without a L/R Magneto option?
2. Are you wiring up switches for L/R magnetos??

1. YES. You could use it to control your master or starter.
2. YES. Simple cheap and reliable.

Marine Switch

You could try something like this:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ame=Cole+Hersee+Off-On+Marine+Ignition+Switch

and use it to control the battery master ground or the power to the starter or I suppose provide a second ground source to both magnetos.

Now I'll throw in my two cents: I think keyed switches provide no security at all. A canopy lock deters hands in the cockpit. I good chain and lock around the prop deters engine start. But you are the designer/builder so go with what makes you feel comfortable. Most twins have a door lock and toggles for magnetos.

Don

I'm using the standard keyed switch to control the ignition and a push button for the starter. The starter button is "hot" with the master switch on.

Push button, mag switches, and no key.

I find no reason to add the complexity of a key switch. Besides, who in their right mind would steal an experimental? However, you might want to find a way to secure the canopy so no one can open it and take your radios.

I'm also push button, ignition switches, and no key. I don't lock the canopy either. If someone wants to steal my radios, I'm hoping they gently open the canopy instead of smash it. It's easier to replace electronics than the canopy.

At my home airport the plane is in a locked hangar. When I'm away, I just use my canopy cover.

Guy

PB Starter...

Plus, the starter button on the stick really kills two birds with one stone. And your airplane doesn't have to be impregnable...just harder to get into than the next one in line.

same

I have a push button with toggle mag switches. I have a canopy lock that works but will easily give if pushed hard. Keeps the honest thieves out. I think the best security is a canopy cover, what people can't see won't tempt them to steal.

Randy

momentary toggle start
toggle Mag switches.

I did put a red cover over the start toggle. I went to hit the boost pump and got the starter.

SWIT-812.jpg

Push button start

Push button starter and locking toggle switches for mags. Also installed a "secret switch" which, when closed, removes power from the starter circuit. Yes, that's the security system! Not difficult to install - done by Aerotronics.

How about biometrics for a key?

I've been thinking about trying to run this system instead of a key. Swipe your thumb to unlock the ignition.

http://www.fistenterprises.com/

Or there is the VP-200 with it's passcode ignition security.

You guys at vertical power listening to this one? I know the VP-200 has that feature...is it possible to do this with the VP-X and VP-X Pro?

You guys at vertical power listening to this one? I know the VP-200 has that feature...is it possible to do this with the VP-X and VP-X Pro?

Wuld be sweet if the VP-X did it too.... Would mean powering up at least one EFIS screen before start.

The downside with the biometric idea is you have to be "enrolled" in the system. So if you need to leave your plane with a mechanic or friend, etc that could be problematic.

Not a problem

until one gets stolen. :) Hope mine isn't the first.
Starter button, mag switches and no key.
I like the idea of a secret switch though.
Steve

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=257066&postcount=4

I have a keyswitch and a push-button starter (plus left and right mag toggles, everything wired up to ground the non-impulse-coupled mag on start and all that).

No key in and turned to ON, no way to turn the engine over and clock someone.

I'm not concerned with theft...I'm worried about people who don't know any better at airshows, other fields, etc.

There was a story (I can't find it) from someone here who came back to his airplane at a fly-in to find some lady had put her kid in the pilot's seat, and he was happily spinning knobs and pushing buttons.

Why all the "hidden" switches and such? Just put a keyswitch. (My starter button is also illuminated if and only if the keyswitch is "on", thus providing another level of confidence in the safety of the system).

ETA: AND, the left mag (the impulse-coupled one) cannot go "hot" unless the keyswitch is on, so the prop can't turn over in the case of an accidental L mag switch on and some goober at an airshow hanging on the prop.

The worst failure mode I have is that the switch fails and I can't start the plane. It is Fail-Safe in that mode, Fail-Operational after starting.

Last edited:
momentary toggle start
toggle Mag switches.
I did put a red cover over the start toggle.
That's exactly my setup as well. I removed the keyswitch to do this. Always preferred switches to keys, and I don't have a key fob flopping around while i'm doing attitude testing...

I like your panel, but i'll warn you now... I have an Aera mounted in almost exactly the same spot, and it's almost unreadable in bright sunlight. On cloudy days I wouldn't trade it for any other GPS i've seen, but on sunny days I have to keep a paper map handy.

I like your panel, but i'll warn you now... I have an Aera mounted in almost exactly the same spot, and it's almost unreadable in bright sunlight. On cloudy days I wouldn't trade it for any other GPS i've seen, but on sunny days I have to keep a paper map handy.

Rob,
I've been flying with the panel for a few months and agree with you 100%. I know it's probably not going to happen, but I am hoping Garmin will realize this problem and figure out a way to improve the screen and sell an improved version with the same body as the current version.

Back