What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power vs B & C alternators

rv6ehguy

Well Known Member
Good day fellow members,
I am hoping that the Airforce brainstorm can help me with my decision.
I am trying to decide which back up alternator to install on my AeroSport Power IO-375 engine hung on my RV6A project. The choices are a B & C BC410 or a Plane Power FS1-14. This back up alternator will be installed on my vacuum pump pad but I am concerned about the fit of the alternator especially around my
90 degree oil filter adapter. I have seen pictures of the BC410 installed on similar engines so I know that one fits. But I am not sure about the FS1-14. Does anyone know if it fits? My preference is to go with the FSI-14 because it is internally regulated and it will match my primary Plane Power alternator. I can install the BC410 which is externally regulated and use it along with the internally regulated primary alternator but I prefer the FS1-14. Also, I don’t want fork out over a grand for something that may not fit because of my oil filter adapter. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
John Van Lieshout
RV6A 85% complete
C-FMYM (reserved)
AeroSport Power IO-375 195 hp
Vetterman Trombone exhaust
Garmin 2 screen G3X touch suite

I'll be following this thread as I am considering the same question, but on a O-320.

Might I suggest changing the thread title to include "Back-up" This will help us all to not drift into the B&C vs PP 'discussion' again. :)

I have installed two PP alternators, both of which failed after a couple of hundred hours. One was the FS1-14 as you are proposing and the other was the main alternator.
The rear bearing spun seizing the shaft and severing the coupling in my PP backup alternator. The VR assembly failed in my main alternator. I now have two B and C alternators and have never looked back.

If you do a search, there is a reliability comparison pole.

I believe you will need a spacer for the oil filter adapter to obtain the correct clearance. Someone else who has this configuration can be more specific.

Here’s my experience with a Plane Power backup alternator. It went off line in flight. Inspection showed it dangling from the cable. It took less than 100 hours for the threads in the bolt on adapter to fail. Short fasteners in cast aluminum from the factory. The B&C unit I replaced it with has a one piece nose, not an under engineered bolt on adapter.

i-t7dGZd3-XL.jpg

i-JhbjN9v-L.jpg

i-PgCDntb-L.jpg

My alternator

Here is my BandC alternator mounted ready for the install. Very nice piece of engineering.

Attachments

• A3C19D14-48F8-43C8-BC02-26EF05FE4587.jpg
    A3C19D14-48F8-43C8-BC02-26EF05FE4587.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 142
I have a B&C 410H that I installed on my Titan IO-370. Not running yet, but a couple bits of information.

First I have a 90 degree oil filter adapter. You need a specific length so that the alternator will fit. I seem to remember its the 0.75" length.

Second if you are going to install the alternator yourself B&C sells a wrench to help with the install. Buy it. I say helps but I'm not sure how you can complete the install without it.

Its all a very tight fit but once you get it all together it looks very cool.

B&C

Not really an answer to your question, but for reference for others who may use this pose in the future. The B&C BC-410 pad mount will fit nicely with or without the 90 degree adapter. The 462 would also fit, but a little tighter.

If you go with B&C (I did because of the high number of PP failures), just call them. There are specific adapters required to clear different engine mounts. They were terrific on the phone. They told me just what to get and everything fit perfectly with the engine now hung on the plane.

Attachments

• CC635C77-EDB8-4EA2-BA67-5203400C3107.jpg
    CC635C77-EDB8-4EA2-BA67-5203400C3107.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 17114B98-2934-4771-82ED-9A3EAECDC40B.jpg
    17114B98-2934-4771-82ED-9A3EAECDC40B.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Back