What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP wanted for VANS aluminum vent

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering if the VANs upgraded aluminum vents leak at all and what is the size of it, 1.5" or 1 5/8"
Any review on that would be appreciate it.

It’s been about 10yrs now since I built the plane, but I remember them using the same hose & mount as the plastic ones. They do not leak when closed. I remember the plastic vents had gaps. That’s why I replaced them. Hope this helps. Bob

Just wondering if the VANs upgraded aluminum vents leak at all and what is the size of it, 1.5" or 1 5/8"
Any review on that would be appreciate it.

I had the stock plastic vents installed, and swapped them out for the Vans aluminum vents. Easy swap, and a big improvement. I don’t notice any leaking air, and they’re much easier to open and close. The price is hard to swallow, but I’m glad I made the upgrade.

Do it...

Most never installed the Vans vents and installed what they now are selling - as did I (probably why they changed). Huge improvement, from what I've heard. Also consider upgrading the tubing to SKEET or SCAT.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I had used a couple of different version of upgraded aluminum vent, recently one that Stein sells and very happy with performance. The larger 1 5/8" size allows more air and it does not leak at all. But they need to be modified in order to fit the VANS NACA (VENT SV-10)

So, I am interested to see if what VANs sell is also 1 5/8" and if there is any real leakage?

So, I am interested to see if what VANs sell is also 1 5/8" and if there is any real leakage?

The openings on all three of the vents that Van's sells (the ones shown in the video I linked above) are 1 5/8" in diameter.

As of the time of this post, the aluminum models (SV-6 CLEAR and BLACK) are $160 each, and the black plastic plastic version (SV-7) is $65. As we tried to show in the video, they all seal up quite well (much better than the original vent SV-5 for certain). We have them in some of our demo aircraft.

sealing

I am going to swap mine out this week. Is there any need for a sealant between the new eyelet and the backplate?

Last edited:
Back