What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BBQ PIREP #47

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Actually just kidding about the #47, but those of you who know me, know that I have flown to a fair number of BBQ spots. Here's my latest. I flew to Walker County Airport (JFX) in Jasper AL and went to Son's Smokehouse.

Last Sunday while flying in the Bonanza from Hot Springs AR to Falcon Field (FFC) just south of Atlanta, my family and I diverted into JFX due to weather and spent the night in the FBO, Sanders Aviation. If one has to spend the night in an FBO, this is the place! Two large leather sectionals, two leather LazyBoys, kitchenette with coffee maker, microwave, etc, a large screen TV with cable and Apple TV, oriental rugs, a snooze room with two more leather LazyBoys, and a flight planning room. Nice digs! And the owner is so nice! But I digress. While sitting there overly optimistically hoping for better weather, I remembered there was a BBQ place or two that I wanted to try. I vowed to come back and today was the day.

The weather today was for solid IFR at departure, enroute and at destination, so I didn't get any takers from our group at FFC this time. Others were busy. So I filed IFR and off I went with me, myself and I.

40289365771_3edb2f3d60_c.jpg

40289365441_7cb32475f5_c.jpg

40289365141_0c7b88b27d_c.jpg

40289364441_397709943c_c.jpg

40289364711_4320f32f46_c.jpg

40289364111_b4080e533c_c.jpg

40289363741_b4937620a7_c.jpg

40289361991_18427d1439_c.jpg

40289363421_fea6e46ecb_c.jpg

40289363151_7de17dc893_c.jpg

BBQ PIREP #47 Part 2

Nice smoke ring.
25418159737_36b40ffa44_c.jpg

Comfortably cruising at 11,000 above the undercast.
25418159187_101caeb353_c.jpg

Nice 25 knot tailwind.
25418158547_c5cf39c210_c.jpg

Come to NC

Since your a BBQ type, have you been to Carthage NC? If not, its worth the trip. Great BBQ restaurant on a private airport you can pull right up to in the plane. I have been there when over 60 planes were on the field. The airport identifier is appropriately named BQ1..

Why yes I have! The Pik n Pig is an awesome place! Great food, love the vibe there! And it is the ultimate in convenience... land, shutdown by the airplane on a stick, walk about 100 paces, and eat! I've actually been there twice despite the distance from FFC. Once on a big RV Squadron trip to Old Rheinbeck and another with my buddy and aerobatic mentor, Ron Shreck. It's a little distant for a lunch trip at 281nm, but certainly doable!

25429463787_ca5c375664_c.jpg

Last edited:
By popular demand, here is my short list. I say short, because there were a few that I've been to before I started keeping track. Also, there are many that I have either driven to either in town or during travel and while on layovers with work. I've been to many BBQ spots across the country in TX, OK, Kansas City, Memphis, MS, FL, GA, TN, NC, SC, VA, and even New York. The ones below are spots that I have flown to and grabbed a courtesy car, taxi, or Uber.

1. Pik n Pig, BQ1, Carthage NC
2. Son's Smokehouse, JFX Jasper AL
3. Southern Soul BBQ, SSO, St Simons Island GA
4. Big B BBQ, ALX, Alexander City AL
5. Sho'Nuff BBQ, ALX Alexander City AL
6. Bigun's BBQ, JZP Talking Rock GA
7. The Butt Hut, AHN, Athens GA I love the name of this place!
8. Bub-Ba-Q, JZP, Jasper GA Another great name!
9. Grillmaster BBQ, PXE, Perry GA
10. Georgia Bob's, MLJ, Milledgeville GA
11. Henry's Smokehouse, GMU, Greenville SC
12. Jim's Smoking' Q, DZJ Blairesville GA
13. Big Bob Gibson Bar-B-Q, DCU, Decatur AL
14. Smoke House BBQ, GVL, Gainesville GA
15. Big John's Texas BBQ, PGA, Page AZ
16. Hard Eight Barbecue, SEP, Stephenville TX
17. Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que, LLO, Llano TX

Without question, #16 and 17 are must go places. They've been featured on this website before. The standouts above are: #1 as discussed above, #3 and #13 have been featured on the Food Network and they are both awesome, #8 is close by and easy to get to via a 3 minute ride in a retired Crown Vic courtesy car. This place puts out fried and seasoned pork skins on the table as an appetizer! #12 is another fabulous spot in the N. Georgia mountains. The food is fantastic, but use caution... it's only open Thurs-Sat.

These are the places on my list of yet to try:

1. The Brick Pit, MOB, Mobile AL
2. Lannie's Bar-B-Q, SEM, Selma AL
3. Vanna Country BBQ, 18A, Royston GA
4. Joe Mo's BBQ, JFX, Jasper AL
5. Flyin' Cowboy, DQH, Douglas GA Not necessarily a BBQ joint, but they have it.
6. Pa-Bill's BBQ, DQH, Douglas GA
7. Stanton's BBQ & Fish Camp, BBP, Bennettsville SC I've been wanting to go here for a very long time. Maybe next week!

Most of the places I've listed above are championship BBQ joints, and have been featured on the Food Network, and local food shows and magazines, or websites. They are typically unique and are a local institution. Then I find out if can get to the place easily via courtesy car or short taxi. I would be remiss to not mention the place that started it all:

1. Three Lil Pigs, PIM, Pine Mountain GA.

You see, PIM has great fuel prices and the airport manger Mr. Bill always takes care of us with fuel and of course not one, but two retired Crown Vics. The problem was that I was flying so much, I was going there every week to fill up on fuel and Q. Three Lil Pigs is great, but I was ready to try something new. And thus the quest for great BBQ across the southeast began. I hope you get to try some of the places above. If you know of any I need to go to, please let me know. Happy flying and dining!

Back