What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraftspruce restocking charges...problem now resolved! Read post #11

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
I recently had to return a set of ignition cables that I purchased from Aircraftspruce because they were the wrong set. I ordered the correct set at the same time at a cost of $396.00. I received a notice today that my credit card was reimbursed for the original wrong purchase minus 25% for a restocking charge. That came to almost $100 plus my expense for return shipping. Total rip off IMHO. Buyer beware.

Give them a call or send a message. AS normally works very hard to satisfy their customers. I think it works better if you communicate beforehand and get an RMA number at the time to re-order the correct stuff.

Don

Per their website: "A 15% restocking charge may be applicable to all merchandise returned to cover costs involved in processing the return."

I was getting ready to order a fuel pump that I'm not 100% sure I need, but I thought I would order it and return it if not needed. This would save me about a week of time. I'm willing to pay 15%, but 25% seems outrageous to me.

bob

I recently had to return a set of ignition cables that I purchased from Aircraftspruce because they were the wrong set. I ordered the correct set at the same time at a cost of $396.00.

Are you saying that you ordered the correct part# and were sent a different (wrong) part# and then were charged the restocking fee for returning a wrongly-shipped part number ???

If that's the case, I'd definitely call ACS customer service and explain the situation. Surely they'd make that right with you.

But if you did order the incorrect part number up front, then you can't really fault ACS, and I guess there is a lesson to learn in doing your parts numbers research thoroughly first before ordering stuff.

On the same topic. I ordered a harness from ACS using the part number they gave me ober the phone based on my application. The application information was also in the special intructions area of the order per their direction. The harness I received was incorrect any they confirmed that it should not have been sent based on the info I provided in the order. They didn't charge a restocking fee, but I did have to pay return shipping. Not a big deal, but it miffed me a little.

It seems to be standard policy in this business, especially with avionics, that the buyer pays one way shipping even on warantee returns. This miffs me a bit, too.

Caution: Business is not always easy, or simple, I Know!

No one will agree to what is fair all the time, but business' try to be fair and helpful without giving customers bad memories.

Business will progress and be helpful or not, and so will it be with customers.

I have bought from Aircraft Spruce and always been treated well. Albeit I get my fasteners very close to home

I would rather not have spell it out but you cant imagine what people sometimes expect.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/site_tips.asp#can_i_call_for_tech_support

Last edited:
I would rather not have spell it out but you can't imagine what people sometimes expect.

Tom is being gentle, just remember that if a retailer is paying all the shipping costs, even if it is your screw up, everyone is paying a little more even if you don't make an error. The expectation of free shipping, regardless of the cause, seems to have started in the online clothing business where the profit margin is huge compared to aircraft parts.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Just my simple opinion

In my opinion, any type or kind of restocking fee is ridiculous. It tends to send customers looking for another business that hasn't one. In the case of ACS, how long does it take for an employee to unwrap a package, enter the product back into the computer , refund the customer back his/her money and then place it back on the shelf. Sure it costs money but what is a satisfied customer worth?

I think that a restocking fee is a sign that the company has grown too big and may have lost the concept that a satisfied customer is gold. Only my opinion though.

So Woodman, what did ACS Customer Service say to you when you called and asked them about this? I assume that you gave them a chance to make it right before deciding to complain here - right?

Paul hit the nail on the head.

I contacted ACS AFTER making this post and I'm a bit sorry that I did. I was quite angry not that there was a stocking fee but by the AMOUNT. The president of ACS emailed me back that it was Champion that was charging the fee and they had passed it on to me. He (Jim) proceeded to refund the amount to my credit card in order to make things right. On a side note: I have never charged an unsatisfied customer for my gear leg stiffeners no matter what the reason. I never even ask what the problem may have been or have a set sent back to me. I feel that it is simply not worth any cost to have an unsatisfied customer. All that being said, I apologize for the rant and to ACS for not having contacted them in the first place.

There are companies out there with some sketchy business practices, but ACS is not one of them. I have used them for years and they have always been solid performers. Even with ground shipping, I can count on the parts being on my door step within 24 hours of the order.

I'm sure some people have had the odd bad experience from them, but they have eared the benefit of the doubt, IMHO.

Last edited:
There are companies out there with some sketchy business practices, but ACS is not one of them. I have used them for years and they have always been solid performers. Even with ground shipping, I can count on the parts being on my door step within 24 hours of the order.

I'm sure some people have had the odd bad experience from them, but they have eared the benefit of the doubt, IMHO.

+1 I buy stuff from the for work CONSTANTLY (material, adel clamps, wire, hardware, paint, adhesive, etc)

If their vendors are charging them $100 to restock stuff, they need to take it up with the vendor (which they eventually did), especially in a case of something incorrectly picked or packaged. Since it sounds like something that was drop-shipped, the error probably wasn't even ACS's.

Woodman, do you think this thread should be deleted so it won't live forever in the archives??

Last edited:
I'm a dealer for ACS and they definitely have a weird restocking policy. They charge that restocking fee even if it comes from their stock, not from a supplier. I can't think of any reason to delete this thread...it's accurate. Just because they fixed it after he complained doesn't mean they were not in the wrong when they did it in the first place.

JMHO

On the flip side...

I ordered two of the LEMO jack harnesses from ACS a few weeks ago (~$40 each), and the next day got an email from another supplier offering the same jacks on sale for $15 each.

I figured what the heck, I might as well ask if they'll price match... So I fired off an email. Half a day later I got a reply that they would put a credit on my account for the difference, because my order was still in transit and I hadn't received it. I guess the policy doesn't apply for completed orders.

Still, I'm happy!

ACS

I like its a good company I only have one complaint and that's the price of their shipping! A company that large and that much shipping can make a heck of a deal with UPS or FEDX and pass it on to the customers and I bet it would increase their sales a lot I for one and many others do not place orders because of the cost of shipping when I need a part and hold off ordering till I need lots of parts just because of the price of shipping it really is a cost factor when building a project.The same is also true when ordering parts from Vans Im in Fl. and Vans on the Left coast and it takes 7 days to get a part and shipping cost more than the part.I have a supplier for parts that I use at work in OR. and they give 3 Day UPS for the same price as ground makes a big difference they are not trying to make money on shipping and passing the savings on to the customer and making money selling parts and not on shipping and they tell me its better for their business.
Bob

shipping

my .02 worth----We all have access to USPS, and frankly I found it alot less expensive to ship that way, even though I have commercial UPS account. Now---ACS lists USPS priority mail as one of their options---but it does seem to me they are making a good profit on the shipping---especially when we can all see USPS Priority Flat Rate. GRANTED------they have alot more overhead, employees, insurance--all of the things that drive prices up that I, and some of you dont have. $14.00 for a $5.15 small flat rate box is a significant charge in my opinion. personally, I tend to charge the USPS flat rate charges, because I have to go the post office anyway.
One other thing--USPS will give you cases of flat rate boxes---UPS and Fed EX certainly dont. I tried buying boxes from Staples, and even Wal mart, but it does compare with FREE.
I would hope that ACS 'might' take a look at this and re-evaluate the shipping. Maybe alot less shipping 'peanuts' as stuffers---or something. Overhead is killer, and somewhere we all have to figure out how to take some of the bite out of it.
Again-----my 2 cents worth.
Tom

I like its a good company I only have one complaint and that's the price of their shipping! A company that large and that much shipping can make a heck of a deal with UPS or FEDX and pass it on to the customers and I bet it would increase their sales a lot I for one and many others do not place orders because of the cost of shipping when I need a part and hold off ordering till I need lots of parts just because of the price of shipping it really is a cost factor when building a project.The same is also true when ordering parts from Vans Im in Fl. and Vans on the Left coast and it takes 7 days to get a part and shipping cost more than the part.I have a supplier for parts that I use at work in OR. and they give 3 Day UPS for the same price as ground makes a big difference they are not trying to make money on shipping and passing the savings on to the customer and making money selling parts and not on shipping and they tell me its better for their business.
Bob

+1 on that. I've had email conversations with Jim Irwin on this topic. I used Digikey as the model: $8.00 flat rate shipping-- overnight delivery! Free over $200! This includes Canada.

Digikey realizes that they are not in the product sales business, but in the inventory logistics business. The customer experience does not end with placing the order!

Living in Canada, I still find it cheaper and faster to order from ACS in the US and pay a trans-shipper to import the parts. What's up with that?

To be fair, ACS has improved over the last few years, but it's still not close to the Digikey experience. Perhaps the volumes in our industry don't give them any leverage over the shipping companies.

Shipping

Case in Point
Placed order for 2 3" duct flange it was shipped on tues arrived as today
one pound package in padded letter shipped UPS cost for shipping $ 8.73 .
So I go to my desk and put in UPS World Ship that Im shipping a one pound package to ACS back to same location as received from cost $4.56 that's a $4.17 surcharge chances are they made as much on shipping as the parts.I for one will not order from ACS till they bring their shipping in line.
Bob

But you do only pay shipping "once", even if stuff is backordered and comes to your door in drips and drabs. Yes, I know there are weight issues, but 3 boxes is more expensive than one.

OT: Shipping rant

While NOT an ACS complaint, one of my pet peeves is that companies charge shipping & handling, but invoice both as a cost of shipping. I would prefer to see it list as shipping and handling, or simply have the handling costs bundled into the price. I think some vendors think their customers are so naive not to price compare with shipping and handling costs included.

I think the bottom line is to be transparent.

I'm a satisfied ACS customer. I try to bundle up my purchases to save on shipping. When I think of something I need, I add it to my account "Wishlist". When I get to a point in the build that really needs something now, I convert the Wishlist into an order. In the big scheme of things, shipping costs are a very tiny overall cost in building an airplane.

just a final word on the subject

I decided long ago whenever I market a product such as my gearleg stiffeners, I include the shipping price into the total. I base the amount on an average cost of shipping all over the U.S. sometimes I make a little on the amount and sometimes I lose some profit but it all averages out and customers don't have to think about it. A restocking fee on a resalable item to me is making a double profit. Case in point-if I pay 25% restocking fee and the profit margin is 25% (low estimate in my opinion) when the item is resold it make the 25% over again ( now a profit of 50%)and if , as in my case, I order a replacement, the company makes 25% again on the new item. Obviously I don't like restocking charges. LOL I have to stop reading the forums at 4 AM, too much brain clutter going on!

Last edited:
I don't have access to ACS' books, but if they are pulling down 25% profit it's time to buy stock!

In military aerospace, 10% is considered pretty exceptional these days, and the norm is closer to 8%. Car dealerships pull about 3% overall, and supermarkets are less than 1%.

ACS

I agree with Bruce, since I always think of something else after I order. Tim Kreider, the east coast sales manager in Peachtree City always has done right by me. It doesn't hurt to ask for a discount either on larger ticket items even if it's just 2%. Restocking fee has never even come up on a return for me so maybe I'm an exception;)
I have to pay Georgia State Sales tax on top of shipping so I make darn sure the item is not available at a significant saving from another
RELIABLE Source, especially on the higher cost items. Just my .02

Be careful what you say - A Spruce is listening!!
About a year ago I voiced some very minor complaint or suggestion on this forum, and Jim called me personally to correct the situation. Sure made a lifetime customer out of me!

My only complaint with Spruce is that in the last year or two it seems they are shipping same day much less often. I know the logistics involved, but some vendors I can order from as late as 9:00pm for same day shipping. From Spruce. It seems like I have to order by very early afternoon or it ships next day. That makes 2-day ground into 3-day ground shipping, which really cramps my style.

Overall, Spruce is great to deal with and has good customer service.

I'm a fan

I've been an active customer of ACS since 1979, and have enjoyed only great experiences with them. Rutan established ACS as the source of almost all materials for the Varieze, LongEZ, Defiant, etc programs. As a result, I made weekly trips (sometimes more than one) to ACS for a great number of years and have literally spent well over $100K with ACS. I can not recall even one transaction, return, quality problem, ordering good or simply changed my mind that wasn't handled perfectly, professionally and cheerfully.

ACS will go waaaay out their way to locate special order components, including items that are not in their extensive catalog. IMO, there are a few aircraft part sources that one could rightfully criticize, but ACS isn't one of them.

Just to add another ACS story....
When I bought my Azko primer it was supposed to have a 2 year expiration date. When I received it, the expiration was only one year. I called ACS and told them I was just starting my build and would never be able to use that much primer in just one year. They credited my card for $50. A very nice gesture.

Also, when I order just a few small items like screws, etc, I use the USPS shipping which is only about $2. I usually get them in about 4 days.

Jim Irwin----

Listen to Don-----Jim Irwin is listening!!! I received an email from Jim about this subject, and the fact that there might be an issue. Guys, Jim Irwin is the man when it comes to ACS. I wont go into the boring details of our emails, but lets just say that the MAN is listening, and and has made some corrections.
Jim is one of us, and wants to see everyone happy. If anyone has an issue, I'm pretty certain that he would like to know about it. Customer service is one thing that makes ACS a great partner for us.

I've already emailed my appreciation to Jim-----
Tom

Back