What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gone and done it - tailwheel commitment

DaleB

Well Known Member
I'm nearing the point when my wings will go into the storage unit and I'll start on the fuselage. After several months of debate, yesterday I called Van's and ordered the 7-specific parts for my fuselage. It's going to cost me, as the original owner of this kit ordered the fuse and finish kit for a 7A. That means I'll be replacing the engine mount, gear legs (I assume) and heaven only knows what else.

I have no tailwheel training, have never launched or landed with one. But hey, I've got a long time to get tailwheel and RV transition training. I just kept finding reasons to do it, and the only reason not to was a little extra cost. So, it's done. As I get stuff unpacked I'll post the 7A-specific parts for sale or swap here. If anyone wants to go the other direction (tailwheel to nosewheel) let me know, I'd love to work out a swap!

How hard is it to replace the tail tiedown with a tailspring mount on an already-built fuselage?

Same

Good it's not only me. I'm building a 7 also, I've never flown in a RV or any tail dragged, just my Mooney and sometimes the twin or the past 18 years. Should be fun to learn something new.

How hard is it to replace the tail tiedown with a tailspring mount on an already-built fuselage?

Pretty easy, actually, unless it is a slowbuild and you have done the VS mod that saves a few ounces (then you have to mess with the VS spar). If it's a QB, then they don't shave that spar so the TW stuff is a drop-in (well, almost). I wrote up a short set of instructions, or at least what I did, in MSWord. It is brief, but should give you an idea of what is involved. If anyone wants a copy, email me.

Greg

Dale,
When I started building my slooow build -4, I had no TW time either, and about half way through my build, I bought a 1/3 intrest in a Taylorcraft BC-12...in fact, I went from central NC to south Florida to pick it up sight-unseen. My good friend and TW instructor went with me, and my first "lesson" was 8 hrs. and 700 miles long..4 take-offs, and 4 landings (realy bad ones). I never looked back and logged almost 400 hrs in the T-crate while completing the -4..hence slooower build. The RV's are one of the best handling TW aircraft around, and I made my first flight in the -4 almost 3 years and 200 hrs. ago with no regrets..So start looking for a TW of some kind you can beg, borrow or steal (buy) and get started!

I have about 12,000 hrs. Flown everything on a GA ramp with the exception of most warbirds.

Yesterday I had a few extra minutes. Never left the pattern. With a tailwheel aircraft it's like golf, you can always do better personally. Simple TW touch n goes still make for a fun 30 minutes with me.

Love DragonTails!

See, this is part of what convinced me. Tailwheel pilots LOVE taildraggers, and anyone I've ever talked to that flies a taildragger raves about it.

On the other hand, the best I've heard so far about tricycle gear on an RV is more along the lines of, "Well, they don't really flip over that often, just use the right technique".

Since I finally got the hang of actually using my feet when taking off and landing, I've gotten over my fear of tailwheels. :) I'm actively looking for a TW airplane around here I can use... already have an instructor.

Plus... you just can't argue the "cool factor" of a taildragger. :)

Not bad.
You have to remove the bottom tail skin panel and if you didn't trim off the VS supports, you'll just have to drill out the 2 bottom rivets. These holes will be used to bolt on the tail spring mount.

I have no tailwheel training, have never launched or landed with one.

From another perspective, I had a little over 3500 hours of tailwheel time when I decided on my RV-8. Little wheel in the back, wouldn't have it any other way.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

You'll be very happy with your decision!

I had very little light airplane time (didn't even have my ASEL), zero tailwheel and zero Vans time when I put a deposit down on my RV-6. I wasn't even looking at -6A's, It was a taildragger or nothing.

In probable record time I added the single engine rating, spent three days with Mike Seager in Oregon for some RV-7 time and my TW endorsement, then went out to Alabama for the pre-purchase and then flew the -6 back to CA.

NO REGRETS. It's very docile, even when I get sloppy it doesn't try to bite, and it's just so fun to fly! Several times now I've just gone out for a few trips around the pattern and it's very enjoyable. Very satisfying when you get a great landing out it!

Doug

Back