What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help about RV-8 N877TC

F5ftiger

Hello everyone,

Can anyone get me info about the -8 that was registered as N877TC.
It was crash landed after an engine failure.
I bought it with a new empennage kit but a very old serial...
As I found that the original serial seems to be 80775? The empenage kit is 80033 from vans assigned builder number.
But the tail kit is a newer one and for sure not from serial 80033.
Anyone knows what happened to the crashed one and it's owner?
I bought it from a guy in Brighton CO last year with not to much info.

The rebuild is complete after building an almost new plane. More work than doing a QB kit!
I appreciate any info!
Thanks
Christoph

Thanks John,
that is what makes me wonder! I do now that it is the crashed N877TC and the corresponding serial#.
I have seen a picture of the plane in its destroyed condition.
I have rebuild it the last 11 month and it will get its engine this weekend :)
If anyone could help with getting me details or contact with the original builder/ owner I would be thankful!
As it looks it is Joe Waltz...

Thanks
Christoph

Here is public info for a Joe Waltz in Montgomery, TX:

Joe A Waltz
142 Wedgewood Dr W
Montgomery, TX 77356
(936) 597-4059

Christoph, Here is the NTSB report on the crash of N877TC. http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentReports/4yjpvp45utodqg45jonmqszs1/Y07112013120000.pdf

Looks like Mr. Waltz was the pilot, so that is the start of the "trail of ownership." You need to make sure that you can prove who sold the airplane and when so that you can register it in your name. The thing that doesn't show in the records are people in the middle, that is, between Mr. Waltz and yourself. You are going to need proof, signed bills of sale from everyone that "owned" the airplane.

Here is the information on the bill of sale: http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/form/ac8050-2.pdf

I wouldn't be too concerned about the empennage number, as the aircraft has a valid serial number. The new tail is a replacement part.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Yes thats a good info! I already have all documentation done with Van's and I have a builder no etc.
So it is all fine to complete and register the -8 here.

I'm only interested in the history of evereything :)

Now it is more or less a new build anyway, there was so much to change...

Her is a picture of it some days ago:

RV8%20Jul13.jpg

FAA Data Base

I have requsted a history on CD from the FAA, which showed all off the registration
info for about 5 bucks.

Former TC

Was previously my aircraft.
Data plate removed and donated as parts.
Call for details.
Previous post has my contact info.

Joe

Back