What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best mount for an iPad or Nexus in the cockpit?

Saville

Well Known Member
So you have a new iPad mini or a Nexus 7. You cannot mount it on your instrument panel via a gizmo because you are steam gauged.

So what are the options and what works the best?

I've seen:

1) kneepad built specifically for the tablet

2) a yoke mount which seems to clamp onto the arm of the yoke somehow

What other options are there and how do they work?

thanks

I just use velcro, but then I don't have a steam gage cockpit either. What about one of those Ram mounts that you mount over by your side rail instead of on the instrument panel. The kind you can rotate and/or swivel. Had one for my 396, but I don't know how to put pictures here on VAF.

I used a suction cup mount for couple flights and I don't like it. Too close. I just use a knee strap.

I second the iPad or iPad mini Ram mount. It snaps in and holds it very steady without anything sticking out of the side. I have 3 mounts and really like the RAM mount the best

We use this in our RV-8A:

RAM-B-121-UN8U.jpg

RAM Yoke Clamp Mount with X-Grip® II Universal Clamping Cradle for 7" Tablets
The RAM-B-121-UN8U consists of a yoke clamp base, double socket arm and universal X-Grip® II holder. The RAM yoke clamp mount will fit rails from 0.625" to a maximum of 1.25". The 1" rubber ball is at a right angle to the plane of the mount; when connected to a rail, the ball sits parallel to the rail. The included X-Grip® II holder has a clean and clever four leg design that sports great holding power without hiding your tablet behind foam pads and plastic. The spring loaded X-Grip® II holder expands and contracts, allowing for a perfect custom fit of your 7" Tablet.

Clamping Range:
0.625" to 1.25"

Material:
Powder Coated Marine Grade Aluminum, Marine Grade Stainless Steel Components & High Strength Composite

Love my RAM mount.

51df1644-9dc4-4e1c-ae4e-20275065b8a6.jpg

I guess my question is more along the lines of:

What methods are there, out there, to connect the mount to the aircraft?

The location of your tablet looks nice...but what is it attached to?

thanks!

stay away from the ram suction cup mounts. we have to use them at work as they are the only one the FAA has approved for us and they suck. I have had the Ipad fall off the window many times (twice yesterday alone).

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

I just answered this sort of question on an Ercoupe forum, though that device was for a Garmin 195. However otherwise everything should work. I know you said you don't have room on the panel, but...there's always room, yes? The vehicle (panel) mounting base itself doesn't take much room.

The RAM mounts consist of a few different components, which I'll summarize for most purposes as:

• the vehicle mounting base type (for yoke, flat surface, floor mount etc.);
  • the arm;
  • the base for the cradle;
  • the cradle for your device.
For a panel mount I used a flat surface base+ball that screws or bolts to the sheet metal (no suction or adhesive):
RAM 2.5" Round Ball Base with the AMPs Hole Pattern & 1" Ball, Product Number: RAM-B-202U

For the arm, choose a length you think convenient:
RAM Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases. Overall Length: 3.69", Product Number: RAM-B-201U

or

RAM Short Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases (Overall Length: 2.38"), Product Number: RAM-B-201U-A

or

RAM Long Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases, Product Number: RAM-B-201U-C

For cradle base,
RAM 2.43" x 1.31" Composite Diamond Base with 1" Ball, Product Number: RAP-B-238U

And finally the cradle for your GPS:
RAM Cradle Holder for the Garmin GPSMAP 176, 176C, 196, 276C, 296, 376C, 378, 396, 478 & 496
Product Number: RAM-HOL-GA7U

I bought a RAM mount for the iPad Mini & 7" tablets with suction cup mount and the long arm. I fix the suction cup to the lower right corner of my windshield and the long arm lets me put the Nexus 7 tablet down low and near the right hand edge of the panel in my RV-6. It works very well for me since I mostly fly solo on long trips where I use the tablet the most. The normal short arm would not have allowed me the positioning I wanted, but the long arm does the job well.

Last edited:
Attach part...

Once you have the attach point, there are many options for connecting the attach point to the mount. The mount is where your device is held. Short and long. If the attach mount is on the floor, you will need a long connector. If you have room on the panel, you need a short one.

Here is my attach point. The oval slot under the point is for ships power to pass through.

r7n97b.jpg

Somebody posted this a while back and I laughed at it.
Well, it was on sale for 3 bucks at a local store so I bought one just to see.

Been using it for my 7" Galaxy ever since (like 8 months). I have a bare spot on the panel that is big enough for the suction pad. Surprisingly good in turbulence.

99-113187.jpg

I know you said you don't have room on the panel, but...there's always room, yes?

No.

I'm not flying my own plane at the moment. I can't screw anything to the FBO panel.

I'm looking for the options to connect the arm and tablet holder to the a/c. From what I can tell, it's a screwed on mount or a suction cup.

Otherwise it's a kneeboard which, I think, is going to be my first experiment.

Thanks!

Tablet holder...

Actually, I like the idea of having an attractive woman on board, but I doubt that would work with an Android. They seem to only want to work with Apple products.

:rolleyes:

CC

Here is what I did:

Two modified RAM mounts are screwed to both the left and right side rails. So I can place my Nexus7 on each side. Each location is really a good fit, left side is almost perfect to look at and to tab on it. And it almost doesn?t obstruct vision to the outside world. I have power sockets on the right side panel and on the left I mounted an additional USB socket for the tablet. GPS reception in those locations are close to perfect. This should work for a mini iPad too.

Screens integrated in the panel are prefered by me, but with the half-life period of the tablets I don?t want a cut panel for one specific tablet.

I once had a folding tray below the center of the panel but found the space a little tight, especially with a passenger.

My experience with RAM Mount

I use a RAM Mount with suction cups and it sticks surprisingly well to my RV-12 panel. The only time it's fallen off is shortly after I mounted it in a rush which makes me suspect user error. It's never failed with the vibration of flight. I found a small crack in my RAM Mount that compromised the "grip" (but never experienced a failure). I sent a photo of it to RAM and they are sending me a new one posted first class. No questions asked. Local distributor bypassed (I live in Australia). They'll get my business again.

I use a RAM Mount with suction cups and it sticks surprisingly well to my RV-12 panel. The only time it's fallen off is shortly after I mounted it in a rush which makes me suspect user error. It's never failed with the vibration of flight. I found a small crack in my RAM Mount that compromised the "grip" (but never experienced a failure). I sent a photo of it to RAM and they are sending me a new one posted first class. No questions asked. Local distributor bypassed (I live in Australia). They'll get my business again.

Kyle
I have been considering this on an RV-12.
Is that for an iPad mini or full size iPad.
Also is it one suction cup, or one of the 2 or 3 suction cup RAM mounts?
Is it a short or long arm between the suction cup and iPad (I imagine a long arm may need more suction cups to secure it)?
Where on RV-12 do you attach the suction cups?
John

John:

Currently running an iPad mini 4. I think it?s a good fit in terms of scale compared to the rest of the panel. I bought it specifically for the -12. There is an RV-12 Storage Kit that can be purchased from Vans which the iPad mini fits into well. Also, I think a regular iPad might intrude on the passengers space.

One suction cup seems to do the trick for me.

Short arm is what I am using. I?m not a tall person but have little problems reaching my iPad when mounted for flight. Note, my back rest seat pad is extra thick which increases my reach to all the controls/instrumentation.

I attach the cup mount on the panel just to the top left of the map box. It was and is still my full intention to make a modification and make a permanent mount like ?comfort cat? has done. However, the lack of need has stalled that project. Note, I had my panel sprayed professionally with a glossy smooth finish. I think if I had sprayed it myself with the resultant porous finish, the cups would not stick at all. I have tried the cups in my father-in-laws RV-8 and had problems sticking to porous finishes.

If you send me your email I will send you a picture so you can decide if you like the look.

Back