What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap switch thingy

woxofswa

Well Known Member
I am looking for a source for the flap switch thingy (looks like a mini flap) that attaches to the standard Van's switch lever. I've seen them on several aircraft, but have yet to find where to procure one.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/appages/flaphandle.php?gclid=CJKytr74lsECFQiIaQodH7sAnw

Quantity:

$44.95/ea

This flap handle is a well built, durable, and cost effective alternative to the plain round standard flap toggle switch that exists in most experimental aircraft. This unit is easily installed over the existing toggle switch with the included set screws. This unit is powder coated for a long lasting, durable finish.

Note: This is the Flap Handle Only

I made one from scrap AL stock and a Belt sander and file. Drill the hole for the switch handle and then drill and tap holes for three 6-32 set screws. Only took about an hour.

Larry

I made mine from hardwood. Same hardwood as the stick grips I made which was Black Iron wood. Shaped with the belt sander and by hand. When finished, I drilled a hole for the flap handle to insert & used JB Weld to secure.

If you buy a high quality (MIL SPEC) Honeywell toggle switch .. then you do not need to worry about the handle spinning around in the socket

Yea, I bought a flap thingy. I made sure to move my flap toggle switch hole ever so slightly to the right to make room for it.

I thought a little bit about how to attach it to my toggle switch. Then, I flew my plane for the first time, threw the flap thingy in a drawer, and kept flying. Works great! :)

We do sell the flap thingees. We sell them as either stand alone flap thingees, or flap thingees with an anti rotation plate.

Both of them work very well and for customers who have a non rotating mil-spec toggle, the standard handle is perfect.

For those that like the labeling or don't have a mil spec toggle, the combo is the preferred product.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to call or email and I will be happy to discuss them with you.

Have fun building (and flying)
Steve

aerosport products has a flap switch that has a continuous on setting for UP and a momentary switch for DOWN.

I like the idea of having a continuous ON but a pilot would have to remember to turn it OFF once the flaps were up. My thinking is that with the larger FLAP lever on the switch, it would be hard to miss. And you would notice the flap motor running if you were on the ground, but you might not hear it in the air.

What are the risks with having a continuous ON setting an not catching that it has been left ON? I do know that sometimes I leave my momentary switch in the ON position for a second or two if I get distracted, and there seems to be no ill effects, either raising or lowering the flaps.

Stein Air also sells a flap switch, I believe the lever part is made by aircraft specialty.
http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=575

That is correct, we do sell the ones Steve makes - but we mate them to a MilSpec switch that we've tested and used (hence the high cost over our standard reversing toggle/flap). You simply can't say that all switches won't rotate or all switches rotate, because some of each will do each...depending on what you have! We use the ones we sell, as usual not the cheapest but certainly ones we trust in our own RV's!

Cheers,
Stein

aerosport products has a flap switch that has a continuous on setting for UP and a momentary switch for DOWN.

I like the idea of having a continuous ON but a pilot would have to remember to turn it OFF once the flaps were up.

I have a similar switch in my RV-8 and wired it with a limit switch on the flap arm. As soon as my wheels touch, I flip the switch up, the flaps fully retract, and the motor shuts off. 250+ trouble free hours.

My setup is very similar to this diagram: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=77444&postcount=7

Last edited:
Back