What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuse before Wings

jkrule

I'm building a 9A in my half of the garage. Empennage is done. An IA/ repeat builder suggested I build the fuselage before the wings. The reason was there's so much more to do on the fuselage and the wings don't take that long. Why build wings and have them sit around for 5 years... I called Vans to ask if there were any problems with building out of sequence. The answer was no, except the center section and longerons would have to be shipped with fuse kit instead of wings kit. I understand why the longerons normally ship with the wings, but why does the center section normally ship with the wing kit? Also, do any of you know of things I might need to be aware of when building out of sequence?

I believe the center section ships with the wings because each center section is specifically matched to a set of wing spars.

I really can't think of any reason not to do the fuselage first, although psychologically I'd probably hate to finish the fuselage and then have to go back and build both wings.

Chris

I'd just stick to the sequence in the plans. The wings won't care that they are waiting:D.

I could be wrong...but

We can thank the Quick build program,it's my understanding that the wing spars and center sections are all jig drilled so that they can be mix and matched as on occasion a right or left wing is damaged in transit and needs to be replaced. I believe this is true for the 7,8,9 program,with the added improvement of extending the center spar box to outside the fuselage on the 14.My concern would be the thickness of the wing spar roots and thus the spacing of the center box section.A call to Vans should clarify any concerns.
RHill

Center section is normally shipped with its mating wing spars however the production tolerances now does not preclude one from using one that is not an exact mate. So if you ordered the fuse they would need to add a center section to that order because under normal sequence that would have been shipped with the wings.

Or, like in my case, I ended up going with a QB fuse and thus I had to ship back the center section that came with my wings. And by the way, it was still a perfect fit.

That's what I'm planning to do

I plan to order the QB fuse and finish kit. Once the fuse is built with all of the fiberglass, canopy, wiring, plumbing, etc. then I will buy QB wings last.

I'm building a 9A in my half of the garage. Empennage is done. An IA/ repeat builder suggested I build the fuselage before the wings. The reason was there's so much more to do on the fuselage and the wings don't take that long. Why build wings and have them sit around for 5 years... I called Vans to ask if there were any problems with building out of sequence. The answer was no, except the center section and longerons would have to be shipped with fuse kit instead of wings kit. I understand why the longerons normally ship with the wings, but why does the center section normally ship with the wing kit? Also, do any of you know of things I might need to be aware of when building out of sequence?

The wings will take up less room when completed (a big concern when you have a small working space like I do), and they'll take longer than you think with all those ribs and skins to deburr and dimple (unless you go QB). As Chris says, I'd hate to have to go back and do them later.

Plus, that way you don't have to jump back into the fuselage after taking a break to do all your wiring and systems routing. I'd rather just keep going on the fuselage and do it all at once.

Biggest reason to build fuselage last is that is where all the expensive stuff attaches. Engine, Prop, FWF, and Avionics. With the progress of avionics and the way that warranties work, you would not want to have that sitting around. you could complete it to the instrument panel stage, and set it aside without engine and instruments.

I built my fuselage first, its a non-issue. Although I have not built the wings yet. The fuselage is a really fun build and is pretty neat to be able to make airplane noises so quickly. It is exciting to come home, look in the garage and see an airplane instead of giant aluminum mirrors.

I believe there is an outsider advantage to it as well. When I show friends and family by build progress they immediately see something they can get excited about. Trust me, the sooner the spouse can get excited about the build, the easier your building life will be. Wings? Not sure they would be that impressed.

I did have to spend an extra $1k on the fuselage kit for that center section. But hey, now my wing kit will be that much cheaper.

Same

I plan to order the QB fuse and finish kit. Once the fuse is built with all of the fiberglass, canopy, wiring, plumbing, etc. then I will buy QB wings last.

Well, kinda the same, I built a slow build fuse did everything I could do including the finishing kit, engine, what have you, then took it to the airport, bought quickbuild wings and was into final assembly. Building in a one car garage, I didn't care how much room the quickbuild wings didn't take up, it was more room than I was willing to spare. And there was zero chance of something happening to them when they weren't there. One view.

Randy
8A

Wings before Fuse

I would suggest you build the wings first. The fuselage has been much more fun to build. At the later stages of the build process I think that fun has helped me to stay focused because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. The wings were not that fun to build, especially the tanks.

I suppose if you only built the fuselage to the point of ready to rivet the top skins it would be ok since up to that point its pretty much just a step by step process in the plans except for any modifications you decide to make.

Thats my 2 cents. :)

wings first

Mentioned twice in this thread and now 3 times!
It is psychological, after finishing your fuselage and thinking you are done, you'll spend another 6 month working on the wings and telling your excited wife
to be patient once again.
Although you have gained building skills during the empenage construction you'll gain more valuable building experience on the wing. The fuselage demands the most of your building skills and as mentioned also contains your most expensive parts.
I vote to stay with Vans suggested sequence.

Back