What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bose or Zulu

Sig600

Well Known Member
I have a couple hundred hours between both th A20's and the old Bose X, but I'm hearing a lot about the LS Zulu 2. Anyone have experience with both? Shopping for two new headsets.

Comparison

Tim O did a direct comparison in the -10 and found he liked the noise canceling capabilities of the Bose A20's better.
http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/upgrades/20101228/index.html

I have worn the Zulus a few times in other planes and thought they were great too. If you never did a side by side comparison you would love them. Compared to the old DC's, they are all significantly better.

I own 2-A20's and 2 -X's.

Last edited:
I'd say if you got the cash buy the A-20's but if you want to save some money for something nearly equal buy the Zulu .2's. I opted to save some money. Lightspeed direct gave me $200 for my 10yr old DC's so the Zulu .2's were $650 shipped. They are amazing!

You will love either headset!:D

Another choice?

We saw the new David Clark DC Pro-X Headset at SnF and were impressed with the light weight and comfort of it (at least at the booth!). Retail is $637 I believe. Just another choice to look at!

In my humble opinion, how they fit our your head is way more important than how the noise-cancelling works.

I have a big head, and could not get the Zulu's to adjust large enough to fit me well. As much as I hated to buy the Bose*, they just fit me better.

* before I got into planes, I was into High-end audio.... Bose is a great marketing company that generally tends to make mediocre products at premium prices.

I went from Bose X's to Zulu 2's ---> a very nice big step up in comfort.

The other thing I like about Lightspeed is their very excellent Customer Service.

I think Jason hit the nail on the head....

It really depends on your head.

I was a fan of Lightspeed for many years and had purchased four headsets previously. I found flying with Zulu's in a friends RV, that whenever I turned my head, the seal would break, defeating the ANR.

My family spent a few hours walking back and forth between the booths at OSH one year. I could repeat the seal breaking in the Lightspeed booth, but couldn't in the Bose booth.

I know other folks that found similiar issues, specifically what may be comfortable to them, and came to different conclusions. Even with my family, we were split on decided which ones were better.

Bottom line, is that they are many good headsets out there. Some of the differences are going to be better options with different head shapes. There is only one way to make that determination. Find a friend with a pair and give them a test.

I went from Bose X's to Zulu 2's ---> a very nice big step up in comfort.

The other thing I like about Lightspeed is their very excellent Customer Service.

Used both extensively. Bose nice. Lightspeed very nice.

2 cents

My wife was on her way to SnF last year when she had a problem with her Zulu 2, I called Lightspeed and asked for help. Lightspeed contacted one of there venders along my wife's path, all she had to do is land and pick them up. We handed the broken set over to Lightspeed at the show. Top notch customer service!!

One point that is very worth mentioning here. We've seen several references to the customer service provided by some of the headset vendors. What is important to note is the frequency at which that customer support has to be called upon to repair unserviceable equipment. Better to have a headset that lasts than one that fails with regularity.

On that note, I'll add that I'm very pleased I'm a person who can wear "in-the-ear" headsets since my Quiet Technology Halo's are incredibly comfortable and have provided flawless function. I leave the Halo's in our airplane and carry my wife's Bose X headset in my flying bag so I've always got a headset with me when flying with others. I'm very, very spoiled! :)

Last summer, I brought my Zulu 1's to the Lightspeed tent while at Oshkosh. I compared them to the new 2's with the idea that I would trade up or buy a pair for the backseat of my -4. I was unable to detect any improvement between the 1 and 2 models . I still love my Zulu 1's

Have used the Zulu and Bose X in flight. I like the Zulu just a little better. Unable to tell any difference between a Zulu and Zulu 2. The New Bose A20 are nice on the ground but have not flown with them. Have also tried the NEW Lightspeed Zulu PFX on the ground and they were an improvement over anything else that I have tried on the ground.

IF I had to have a new headset right now, the A20 may be what I would buy but if I could wait, I would get the Zulu PFX as soon as it is available. Why buy the A20 if I had to have one right now, it is a good headset and it is made in the USA. My Zulu headsets are made in China.

A note about the fit of the Bose...

First, let me say I have the ZULU 2's and LOVE them.

As a side-note, the owner of a flight school at my airport got a Bose headset from his wife for Christmas a few years ago. He was always complaining about how they didn't fit his ears very well. I mean CONSTANTLY complaining. Then in walks a CFI who had just been told by a student that the ear pieces rotate. The flight school owner rotates the ear pieces and bingo! They now fit like a charm! It was quite funny hearing his 'colorful' language, about how he wished he'd have known about that adjustment years ago. :D

The Best headset

I am very pleased with the new AKG headset that I purchased at SunNFun. These are made in Austria by Harman. I have a Zulu that breakers ANR when you turn your head. I also have several Bose and have had Telex, DC, and others. The audio quality is the best I have ever heard in a headset.The comfort is outstanding. I believe this Company is on to something. Not many reviews, but I think you will start to see the ads and reviews coming soon. If you are looking for the best headset that I have ever used, please try this one before you decide. I have no connection with this Company, just a RV6 owners that likes quality equipment.

I have both. In the Giles I use the Bose and everywhere else I use the Zulu. It is a matter of havin Lemo Plugs in one and not in the others...love the Zulu better but must admit...my newest purchase Clarity Aloft are the Bomb! None better for confort and real noise attenuation!

I've had the opportunity to try out both the early Bose against the original Zulus in a fastback Super RV-8 on a flight from WF to Amarillo, TX and my personal preference is still the Zulus. I have two sets of Zulus in my RV-6 and I think they're the ideal headset for both comfort and sound quality in a noisy RV.

I, too, tried the Lightspeed PFX at OSH 2013, and was absolutely blown away by them. I've owned every model of Lightspeed ANR, going back to the original 15s, and the PFX is unlike anything I've ever tried -- including Bose.

Unfortunately, after OSH they pushed delivery back to "Spring 2014" -- which is now -- and I haven't heard anything more about them. Anyone got the skinny on when this amazing product will be available?

http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/Zulu_PFX/subgrouping.htm?cat=34803

Comparison of active headsets with Clarity Aloft

Mitch,
I would be interested to hear the difference in noise attenuation between the referenced active headsets you use and the passive Clarity Aloft? Is it really comparable? I am interested in the Clarity Aloft because of the tight fit in our RV-4. Tnx.

Back