What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking gust lock advice

RV6KalGal

It is time to finally invest in a good gust lock system. The following 2 appear to be nice options and are approximately the same price. Both have received excellent reviews. I would appreciate input on which is better ? and in particular WHY it is the best option. My aircraft is an RV6. Thank you very much.

http://www.wildblueinnovations.com/
Gust Buster
vs.
AntiSplatAero.com
Ultimate Gust Lock

Only have experience with Antisplat. Well made and does the job. Kind of cool looking too, when I carry it around to fend off tourists.

I have both the Gust Buster and Antisplat's Gustlock. Bought the Gust Buster first and used it for about 6 months. It works, but it is cumbersome to install with the bungee-cords, and I was afraid I was going to break my switches on the sticks. So I bought the Antisplat Gust Lock about 6 months ago and very glad I did. I can install in about 10 seconds, and uninstall in even less, and it's very well made. Additionally the Gust Lock folds up nicely for storage and there's no bungees and other parts to keep up with.

This is my humble opinion only, and your opinion may vary. If you decide on the Gust Buster, I'll sell you mine for a very good price!

My 6A sat on the field at MTH with gusting blowing winds for 4 days in Jan. and the antisplat allowed me have sleep those night with NO worries about damage. The gust locks are the best!

I use the Gust Buster on my -8. Works really well, as in I'm not afraid to leave it outside in really bad gusts. I'm quite satisfied with it.

The Gustbuster is what I chose, seems much less likely to damage the control components due to the shock absorbing spring/bungees but yes perhaps a bit more difficult to install if thats the most important thing to you.

Last edited:
The gustbuster isn't a gust lock, but more accurately a gust shock absorber. Their website explains why this is arguably better when the winds are howling.

Not saying anything against the Antisplat product. Both are fine products if you can understand the slightly different missions.

YMMV

Last edited:
Exactly. The gust buster uses the dynamic load relief concept to allow just enough movement that your control surface attach points don't get bent. In a strong wind with totally locked surfaces, damage can still occur. Watch the videos on the gust buster website--good stuff. He's an advertiser here.

antisplat

I velcro'd the antisplat gust lock to the passenger inside wall (below the armrest) for easy access. note: I also velcro'd a thin alum plate to separate from the gust lock from the skin.

Last edited:
Thanks to all

Thank you everyone for your sharing your real-world experience and advice re gust lock/absorption/dampening systems. I have decided to go with the antisplat system. Use is very simple and although the controls are locked in place the risk of damaging-strength gusts is one I am willing to accept as the plane is rarely unhangared even while traveling. Being color-matched with my plane is icing on the cake.
THANKS AGAIN.
I will be posting similar requests for advice re other goodies in the near future and hope that you are able to respond to those also.
Keep grinning.

Back