What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to layout masking tape for wave shape on fuselage ?

petersb

Well Known Member
Need techniques to mask wave shape on side of Rv7a fuselage.

Top will be white and bottom half dark blue. Will start just under spinner and then rise to follow top surface of the wing then down as it moves towards the tail then sweeps up at rudder, this is the current popular wave shape.

Important to get a smooth curve

practice. :)

Actually, roll in one hand with about two feet of tape between roll and guide finger. Just sweep it like you think it should be. Then pull it up and re-do about 40 times. Oh, and use the fine-line plastic tape, not paper painters tape. I found wider widths to be easier to lay down without a lot of wiggles.

Put some little bits of masking tape in the general shape to help guide you to the next transition, etc.

But seriously, it will take many tries to get it smooth. I'm sure if you did it every day you could throw it down more consistently.

Good luck!

Also helps if you use a crayon or water soluble OHP type pen to rough in the shape, or at least key aiming points and then use the fine line tape with a good 'free' length to get smooth swoops.

That's what we did with our Christen Eagle when we did the head on the cowling. The feathers used a template, the side stripes we shot using a laser level.

Another alternative, if you are in a dark hangar is to project a snap of the design onto the side and work onto that.

Ultimately - it's a bit of the 'Feel the force Luke'

:)

Then pull it up and re-do about 40 times.
Good luck!

That is the truth, a professional aircraft painter and I went through about $60 worth of tape to layout the simple scheme on my '8'. The wad of used tape was the size of a volleyball.

SunshineModel007_zps8f54a1c6.jpg

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Have you considered using a vinyl decal for the wave stripe? You could get it cut and placed on a carrier with much less hassle. And you could always change it later if you wanted to.

Have you considered using a vinyl decal for the wave stripe? You could get it cut and placed on a carrier with much less hassle. And you could always change it later if you wanted to.

That, or have a vinyl shop make you a template to tape from (or a paint mask).

There are a lot of ways to do this. None of 'em are simple.

Like Mikey says

Couldn't find pics of the fuse painting right away but you can get the idea from the cowling paint. Like Mike and many others say, it's gonna take a few tries?. :D

I did it all freehand and it came out ok for me. Use the wider plastic striping tape from an auto paint supply house. Works better than the thinner stuff. Easier curves.

33m2wc9.jpg

a31stf.jpg

2l94gee.jpg

pex

I have at times had to paint waves or curves on walls. I used long pieces of plastic trim, rebar, hose, tubing, and lots of tape. For the side of an airplane, I would get some 1/2" pex tubing and use it to form the curve you want by taping it directly to the skin. If the 1/2" doesn't hold the shape you want, go to 3/4" or even 1". Because you can pick red or blue, it will be easy to stand back and get a good look at the curves. Once you get it exactly how you want it, you can use a marker to transfer the pattern to the skin. the trick is getting it the same on both sides. Lucky a person can't see both sides at the same time!

Have fun with it. That is what it is all about!

My painter said that the correct location to judge "it looks right" as mentioned above is standing at the aft end of the wingtip.

This is how most viewers will judge your striping.

Back