What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight advice

rwarre

Well Known Member
Flying from Gettysburg to Leesburg, VA the end of April. Will be flying IFR. Since I have never flown the area, I need advice on flying around the DC airspace or just outside of the class B. Thanks

A) take the online course
B) if you are IFR from the start you just need to stay IFR until you land.
c) even if you have Leeburgh visual do NOT squawk 1200! Keep your IFR code to the ground

It's flying in VFR that's tricky :D

A) It's flying in VFR that's tricky :D

Exactly! Filing IFR eliminates all sorts of airspace concerns. You just need to follow ATC's directions and stay on course.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Landing Leesburg

Leesburg, VA is in the WDC SFRA although it is in a sector that has an exclusion for entering VFR simply by using a 1227 transponder code on entry. (1226 on exit) Use CTAF and call 5 out. Never use 1200 in the WDC SFRA!!
In order to legally fly in the SFRA you must take and pass the online test. Carry proof with you. There is also a Mode C veil in any airspace within 30 mi of the DCA or AML VOR
IFR takes some of the apprehension out of the picture, and I'm not sure if taking the test is mandatory if you fly exclusively on an IFR clearance.

Jim
N444JT

I'm 99% sure you do not need the course if you fly IFR.

I had been flying it for years before I took the course, when I did :eek: I realized I couple things IFR pilots should just be aware of.

If you don't take that short course, fly IFR and for example, call Leesburg in site for a visual .....and didn't understand squawking 1200 is not allowed, you may get I surprise!

My suggestion is to take the course. If you fly VFR within 60 nautical miles of the DC VOR, even if you never go into the SFRA, you need to have taken the course.

It's really not a bad course - fairly quick, and for my own CYA I take it periodically.

Dan

Clarification

Dan is absolutely correct. Not only do you need to have taken the test to fly in the WDC SFRA, but you also have that requirement if you fly in the surrounding area within 60 mi of DCA. And don't forget about the Prohibited/Restricted Area around Camp David.

Jim

Back