What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12iS in a Flight School?

Amadeus

Well Known Member
Is there a flight school anywhere using the RV-12iS? I would like to not only 'try on' the RV-12iS to see how it fits but get a few hours of flight time.

Thanks for the list! Exactly what I was looking for.
Yes, none near me but might be worth traveling for.

I'm not certain if any flight schools have even taken delivery of a S-LSA RV-12iS yet? Or maybe they are just starting to trickle out now from Synergy Air, or Van's is building them in house, with the Covid thing going on?

Glass panel air in Boise is probably closest to Basalt, CO

It looks like two schools have the -iST. One in Loveland, CO and another in Hillsboro, OR. Loveland is much closer.

Check with Giving Wings Aviation in Traverse City, MI. I was recently told their ULS was for sale on Barnstormer because they were replacing it with an iS.

Check with Giving Wings Aviation in Traverse City, MI. I was recently told their ULS was for sale on Barnstormer because they were replacing it with an iS.

Thanks for the heads up! I called Giving Wings and Vans has a delay in the factory due to the virus situation and they are being told it will be this fall before they can take delivery of the new RV-12iST.

Flying Cacti at KGEU Glendale AZ is getting a RV-12iS in 2 weeks.
It is the instrument trainer version.

I was never able to get anyone on the phone at Flying Cacti so I tried email and they promised to call me. That was 3 months ago.

Frank, the owner, had some medical issues recently. That probably accounts for the lack of response. He has a new partner who is on top of things. Try their phone again.

Hillsboro, OR (Stark’s Twin Oaks 7S3) and The Flying School at Loveland, CO for sure have aircraft flying right now. As others have mentioned, there are a couple more coming online soon with RV-12iS airplanes. EAA’s sport pilot academy has three 12iS training aircraft but not yet active due to COVID delays.

Orders for new construction airplanes are currently booked out into Q4 2022 delivery dates - we’re pretty busy and the orders keep coming in!

Back